Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ugh... so a portable 10 Kw generator for $4500 vs one I can buy off Amazon for $1k. I guess that's innovation. What am I missing?!?

"*Edit 4/7/20: Pricing isn't available for the unit yet. Originally, we had listed an estimated cost of $4,500, and we were notified that isn't correct. We'll update the post once pricing is announced. "

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well maybe it has a very clean wave form that EVs like. Maybe it is extra heavy duty so a tow truck driver can bang it around and run the **** out to for years. Maybe Blink thinks at $200 a call, the generator will break even after 22 uses and then make money. And maybe not.
(it does include an EVSE and cable though).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't need tow trucks, we just need automated drone delivery of emergency generators... when done, drone flies the generator back. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
What an EV really needs is a guy with a dually and a tow cable. Put the car in L, foot off the accelerator, truck pulls you and charges the battery while towing. Gets you to the nearest charger with a few kWh already in the battery.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I can see that the price has some serious markups, but I can see a bit of reasoning for why this exists. Some cheap generators don't provide the clean sine waves that an EV charger (and the car's OBC) needs. I think there had been some talks in this very forum about it some time ago. This Blink charging station provides a turn-key solution where you know you're getting a proper generator-charger combo that won't fault out in the middle of charging because of the unclean waveform.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
As others have mentioned, it's an inverter generator.. so it's got an extra $1K of electronics onboard for the inverter and it's also got a 40amp 240v EVSE built in, so that adds another $500 at least. Add all that to your $1K generator then double that (std manufacturer markup) and you get the $4.5K retail price.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts

Ugh... so a portable 10 Kw generator for $4500 vs one I can buy off Amazon for $1k. I guess that's innovation. What am I missing?!?

"*Edit 4/7/20: Pricing isn't available for the unit yet. Originally, we had listed an estimated cost of $4,500, and we were notified that isn't correct. We'll update the post once pricing is announced. "

Anybody know if it's going to have a couple of 5-20Rs on it? It would be pretty stupid to design it without that...

·
Registered
165 Posts
What an EV really needs is a guy with a dually and a tow cable. Put the car in L, foot off the accelerator, truck pulls you and charges the battery while towing. Gets you to the nearest charger with a few kWh already in the battery.
There are a lot of laws regarding people being physically present in a vehicle being towed (as in, illegal in many jurisdictions).

However, as far as duallys go:
New Silverado HDs have an integrated power take-off (PTO) option.

GM could very easily create a mobile EV rescue charger:
Silverado HD with PTO
Connect PTO output to a Bolt motor without the transmission (or appropriate gearing for the PTO)
Connect Bolt motor to Bolt drive inverter

Write software that causes Bolt drive inverter to regen into a CCS vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts