Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if: the hydro supply to your residence goes down for 4 consecutive days (like it did in Toronto during the ice storm of December 2015). Or somewhat longer I’m sure in 2017 for hurricane-hit places in the USA.

I’ve got access to a 7.3kw gasoline generator. Has anyone tried charging their Bolt from a gasoline or diesel generator ? I know the manual says: don’t do it. But the manual doesn’t say why not… what needs to be done so that Bolt’s plug communications accept generator power ?

What about powering your gas fireplace (or your household furnace), your fridge, etc from your Bolt EV ? Anyone tried that…

Just evaluating the possibilities. I can’t resist thinking hey I’ve got a 60kWh storage battery on four wheels in my garage that might be good for emergency use.

·
Registered
612 Posts
There have been posts here about this. Put 'inverter' in the Custom Search box, upper right.

My impression is that using the 12 volt battery to power a small inverter is no big deal but drawing power from the primary battery is a lot more complicated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts