Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent last night in DC with the temps in the teens (f). I used valet parking at the hotel. This morning it took what seemed like a long time for my Bolt to be retrieved. During this time I got to thinking what if they come up to me and say they can't get it started. I don't have a clue as to what I should do. Can anyone give me a suggestion or a users manual reference? The car did show up and there was no problem getting it started. They were just busy and short handed.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
p. 135
BATTERY TOO COLD, PLUG IN TO WARM This message displays during extremely cold temperatures, when the vehicle will not start until the high voltage battery is warm enough. Plug the vehicle in to an AC charging station and make sure POWER is off to allow the charging system to warm the high voltage battery, then the vehicle can be started. DC charging cannot be used to recover a cold high voltage battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you XJ12 for your prompt reply. Is that the only way to get it started? That procedure would have required me to push my Bolt to a position within 25 feet of a 120v wall plug. I'm not sure there are many 120v wall plugs in parking garages. Mind you I am not complaining, I'm just asking if that is the only way to get it started.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just like any other car, if the 12V battery dies (for a variety of reasons), then the car cannot start.

(For safety, there is a disconnect relay inside the battery module that kills all high voltage power outside the module, unless the onboard computer (powered by the 12V) commands the relay to connect)

In dead 12V case, following something like a jump start procedure will get the car computer booted, and once that has been done the Bolt should be able to start and recharge the 12V itself from the traction battery (not unlike driving a running regular car with a dead 12V battery to 'recharge' it).

I carry a small lithium ion battery 'jump starter' for this contingency, although I think it very unlikely I will ever need it.

A corollary, I think you can use your Bolt to 'jump' another car with a dead battery, so long as the car is on and in 'P' it should work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Technically any means of increasing the battery temperature would work. Including a fossil fired torpedo heater blowing under the car, a generator, etc etc. The options are limited only by our creativity I guess.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Often as not, if it won't fire up it's the 12v battery, and you'd need a 120v outlet to put a charger on it.
Likelihood of a Bolt not starting is probably considerably less than an ICE car anyway - not as much to go wrong.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Thank you XJ12 for your prompt reply. Is that the only way to get it started? That procedure would have required me to push my Bolt to a position within 25 feet of a 120v wall plug. I'm not sure there are many 120v wall plugs in parking garages. Mind you I am not complaining, I'm just asking if that is the only way to get it started.
If the high voltage battery is too cold, than I think so. If you have above 30% charge on the battery, it will condition itself and car will start. So takes two things to happen before it won't start from the HV battery being too cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok let me rephrase my question. I really appreciate the quick responses and information you have provided but I am 86 years old and don't understand some of it. My question is:
What would you do if your Bolt had been in overnight parking in low temperatures and the valet parking attendant says they can't start it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
It that particular case, I'd call AAA or Chevy Roadside Assistance, or whatever other coverage you might have through your insurance provider, etc. This shouldn't be something that would be a very common problem though - like others said. Don't devote too much worrying to it I think.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ok let me rephrase my question. I really appreciate the quick responses and information you have provided but I am 86 years old and don't understand some of it. My question is:
What would you do if your Bolt had been in overnight parking in low temperatures and the valet parking attendant says they can't start it?
In that scenario I'd be calling AAA or OnStar for service. Tell them you need help getting it plugged in. Hotel staff might be willing to push the Bolt for you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Your Bolt is under warranty. If it dies, it should be on Chevy to revive it. Call the roadside assistance number that your dealer provided when you bought/leased your car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Since emergency measures were brought up....
Anybody try to use the EVSE with a portable generator? Waveform may not very clean. Would it function without a true ground?
I could try it with mine once the arctic blast ends. Would give me an excuse to unwrap the EVSE.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Since emergency measures were brought up....
Anybody try to use the EVSE with a portable generator? Waveform may not very clean. Would it function without a true ground?
I could try it with mine once the arctic blast ends. Would give me an excuse to unwrap the EVSE.
I think the lack of ground prevents the EVSE's GFCI function to fault

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
People have already tried portable generators with the Bolt OEM EVSE.... some brands work, some brands ground fault.
It depends on how the generators ground circuit is wired.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If it doesn't start....there are two possibilities.

1) the screen display comes up with a message. Answer: Do what the message says. Possibility is main battery is depleted or too cold (I think is v unlikely at >0°F), or some other mechanical fault.

2) nothing happens when you press the button, or something unintelligible, like a chime or whatever...Answer: tell the garage to 'jumpstart it'. Explanation is that the car also has a 12V battery that runs the computer that controls the car. That battery can die just like that in any other car....and the car won't start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all your contributions. If it ever happens that I can't get it started I'll call Chevy Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just like any other car, if the 12V battery dies (for a variety of reasons), then the car cannot start.

(For safety, there is a disconnect relay inside the battery module that kills all high voltage power outside the module, unless the onboard computer (powered by the 12V) commands the relay to connect)

In dead 12V case, following something like a jump start procedure will get the car computer booted, and once that has been done the Bolt should be able to start and recharge the 12V itself from the traction battery (not unlike driving a running regular car with a dead 12V battery to 'recharge' it).

I carry a small lithium ion battery 'jump starter' for this contingency, although I think it very unlikely I will ever need it.
I also carry the lithium battery jump starter. This thing has saved me more than once in my hybrid. I've also used it to help others. They only cost about $100. I think everybody should have one.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A bit off topic but I'd put a big old blanket in my car in this weather and not leave the car if it breaks down and for some reason your mobile phone is not with you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts