Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like mine and thought I would start a thread on their stuff after commenting on another.

got my Qmerit install done with a 50A breaker,(said the 6ga wire was good for 60A but like to go with the safer side) and using the Emporia EVSE set at a 50A breaker(6ga single wire) to run at 40A charge rate. Took the guy close to a full day for the install (I was his helper) but happy for GM covering this. My 22 EV dash and the EVSE app both showed +- 9kw charge rate. Started my charge from about 50% and nothing was close to hot, 90deg day and after the sun got off the wires it was all barely warm. The installer commented on how thick the cables on
the Emporia are. So far, quite pleased with my choice of EVSE! Plant Property Building Window Fixture Plant Flowerpot Rectangle Grass Wood
BTW, I payed a total of $480 for the Emporia on Amazon for the UL listed model.
I like that the app shows the stats of each charge "event".
The 1st charge I had my rate set at .12 per kwh and had a "bill of $4.50 for a half charge" that I was ok with but after checking our last bill I see that our rate has went from something like 12-13 cents per kwh to 15.6 now(based on current bill), What else ain't gone up!

Reactions: Jim99

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will add that I am interested in the other offerings from them to monitor the house, may look in to some of the circuit monitors, just to have a better Idea what's going on.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I've got their Vue 2 monitoring 16 circuits. Excellent company and top rate support. Circuit monitoring has come in extremely handy. I've mentioned elsewhere that I actually tracked down an in-wall clothes iron that was left on for days because of it.

Recently cleaned out my AC condenser even though it didn't look that bad to me. All I did was take a hose to the inside of it while it was running and saw an immediate 20% efficiency improvement. That improvement has held for the last few days too, so it wasn't just that there was water on the coils.
Product Rectangle Azure Font Material property

Bought 2x of their EVSEs since my utility reimburses the purchases up to $500 each. Don't have a super important immediate need, but wanted to encourage EVs at my rental and have a place for my parents to charge when they visit (besides the too slow 120v).

·
Registered
'22 Bolt EUV Premier W/Launch Package
11 Posts
Just finished getting their EV charger installed as well. Ended up doing the 48A, 60A breaker mode, just to future-proof it. I ended up using my own electrician for the install.
Wood Architecture Fixture Wall Electricity

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good! Probably 90' less wiring than mine:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Recently cleaned out my AC condenser even though it didn't look that bad to me. All I did was take a hose to the inside of it while it was running and saw an immediate 20% efficiency improvement. That improvement has held for the last few days too, so it wasn't just that there was water on the coils.
I learned something new recently. I bought and installed a window AC unit in my garage. I kept wondering why I never saw any condensate water dripping from the unit. Curious, I started looking at the unit, and water was collecting inside the unit. What? No drain holes? What the heck? So I googled the unit to see if anyone had noticed this with theirs. Turns out, it is how all of them are made in these modern times. They collect the condensate water so the fan can kick up water onto the condenser to increase efficiency. I just hope I don't breed mosquitoes in the blasted thing.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I learned something new recently. I bought and installed a window AC unit in my garage. I kept wondering why I never saw any condensate water dripping from the unit. Curious, I started looking at the unit, and water was collecting inside the unit. What? No drain holes? What the heck? So I googled the unit to see if anyone had noticed this with theirs. Turns out, it is how all of them are made in these modern times. They collect the condensate water so the fan can kick up water onto the condenser to increase efficiency. I just hope I don't breed mosquitoes in the blasted thing.
I had the thought to engineer a misting system that kicks on automatically whenever the AC runs. Huge efficiency benefits when the radiator is wet, especially with the cool water we have.

There should be something that collects the condensate and mists the radiator.

Also thought about a mist system for the solar panels that would trigger whenever temps rose above some threshold.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I just ordered my Emporia from Amazon yesterday (my Blink melted)... after readying all the reviews I could find and doing some research.. it was the best option going!! I am going to make sure all codes and connections are "overkill" on this install. I will update as I have this completed and tested. I would love to look into the monitoring stuff also. Wish me luck!!
Go Bolt Nation!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got their Vue 2 monitoring 16 circuits. Excellent company and top rate support. Circuit monitoring has come in extremely handy. I've mentioned elsewhere that I actually tracked down an in-wall clothes iron that was left on for days because of it.

Recently cleaned out my AC condenser
Made me go clean my coils too, thanks for the reminder! Thinking about the Vue2 also, would be cool but we'll see. I still have the pricey tags for my Bolt to pay and hoping to get the windows tinted (not used to all the IR heat without it).

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
436 Posts
I just ordered my Emporia from Amazon yesterday (my Blink melted)... after readying all the reviews I could find and doing some research.. it was the best option going!! I am going to make sure all codes and connections are "overkill" on this install. I will update as I have this completed and tested. I would love to look into the monitoring stuff also. Wish me luck!!
Go Bolt Nation!
I received my Emporia EVSE yesterday and plugged it in to my 30A circuit. Love the app and the heavy duty cables. I'll hardwire it at some point, but right now it's working great at 24A. I'll be putting my Clipper Creek LCS-20 up for sale soon. It works fine, but I was ready for something new.

Edit: here's a screenshot from the app showing the energy being used after charging is "complete":
Azure Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go Bolt Nation!
Happy with mine so far. Like the app info but wish I could do it on my PC, not so fond of EVERYTHING being a **** phone app nowadays but I guess the kids don't know any better, I also miss the GM EV access online, loved that when I had my Volt.

Reactions: Inteliquest

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Happy with mine so far. Like the app info but wish I could do it on my PC, not so fond of EVERYTHING being a **** phone app nowadays but I guess the kids don't know any better, I also miss the GM EV access online, loved that when I had my Volt.
Data is available online from a PC also. It’s still accessing their DB, but you don’t have to install the app if you don’t want to.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Something that may be of interest to potential buyers is that Emporia is currently selling this EVSE without UL certification on their website for $374 ($75 savings). This is inventory manufactured before they received UL certification, but built to the same standards. I bought one of these units with full knowledge of what I was buying. It goes without saying (but I will anyway) that your comfort level purchasing a non-UL device may be different than mine.

Here is a Q&A from the Amazon listing (bolding is mine):

As of May 11, 2022, the Emporia Smart Home EV Charger is certified by UL to meet the safety criteria defined by these international standards: NEC 625, SAE J1772, UL 817, UL 991, UL 2231, UL 2251, and UL 2594. While we're currently offering our UL-certified charger for sale, we still have inventory of the non-UL charger, so customers have the option to purchase a UL-certified charger at full price, or a non-UL charger at a discount. The non-UL chargers have the same safety features as the UL chargers, but were manufactured prior to UL completing the testing, and so cannot be UL-certified.
By Emporia Energy on June 1, 2022​

·
Registered
436 Posts
Data is available online from a PC also. It’s still accessing their DB, but you don’t have to install the app if you don’t want to.
As @redpoint5 said, a web interface is available. Look for the green box top right on all Emporia web pages that says "WEBAPP LOGIN". Use the same credentials you used when signing up for the phone app.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bill, will check that when I get home.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I received my Emporia EVSE yesterday and plugged it in to my 30A circuit. Love the app and the heavy duty cables. I'll hardwire it at some point, but right now it's working great at 24A. I'll be putting my Clipper Creek LCS-20 up for sale soon. It works fine, but I was ready for something new.

Edit: here's a screenshot from the app showing the energy being used after charging is "complete":
View attachment 45232
Very cool! I just received mine last night and unboxed.... very nice unit, very well packed and the instructions are Spot On!! I need heavier duty cable/wire... then will hard wire it for 40A draw
so far it looks way nicer than the Blink that fryed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Something that may be of interest to potential buyers is that Emporia is currently selling this EVSE without UL certification on their website for $374 ($75 savings). This is inventory manufactured before they received UL certification, but built to the same standards. I bought one of these units with full knowledge of what I was buying. It goes without saying (but I will anyway) that your comfort level purchasing a non-UL device may be different than mine.

Here is a Q&A from the Amazon listing (bolding is mine):

As of May 11, 2022, the Emporia Smart Home EV Charger is certified by UL to meet the safety criteria defined by these international standards: NEC 625, SAE J1772, UL 817, UL 991, UL 2231, UL 2251, and UL 2594. While we're currently offering our UL-certified charger for sale, we still have inventory of the non-UL charger, so customers have the option to purchase a UL-certified charger at full price, or a non-UL charger at a discount. The non-UL chargers have the same safety features as the UL chargers, but were manufactured prior to UL completing the testing, and so cannot be UL-certified.
By Emporia Energy on June 1, 2022​
Dang guess I should have done a little more digging, 375 would be a great price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts