Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premium
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my bolt because it was a very good deal at the time. I did not realize how Chevy did not support it very much. Now that our cars will be discontinued all together, do you think we'll have any support at all? This is one of the things that make me possibly want to get rid of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
There is a temporary stop to selling existing cars and building them. It's not a discontinuation.
I'm with MisterJJ on this one (shocking, I know). I think GM is better off discontinuing the Bolt nameplate. Even if they continue production of the platform, I think they'll call it something else.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Given the news that they are going to discontinue the nameplate and the crazy situation about the batteries all having defects who knows? I'm trying to take action making calls and emails; below is my email to the dealership manager. I figured.it won't hurt to at least put in a request the worst that can happen is they ignore me or say no;
Email to Maher Chevrolet St Petersburg Florida 8/22/21
Hi Mr Towler. I bought a 2017 chevrolet Bolt LT in early 2018 from Your dealer. The expanded recall for ALL Bolts seem to be a lot of headache I didn't anticipate when buying the car. Have You all been in touch with the GM regional reps? It seems like this would be an opportunity to step up on the customer behalf after the sale. I think a non expiring "owner loyalty certificate" would be in order here.

·
Registered
627 Posts
They need to replace 5 years of Bolt Modules. There cannot possibly be room for production for the next year unless some huge ramp was already being accounted for. The Bolt could be discontinued this year after the last few 2022s in process are finished. I don’t see how LG or any new supplier can make enough modules to support 5 years or production and a new year of vehicles.
It’s dead. It could take 2 years for us just to get new modules.

I’m being pretty pessimistic, though. I’ll admit that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This concerns me too. The good news is GM is going to need more EV trained technicians as they go more electric, the disquieting aspect is will there be parts for the Bolt and for how long? I am trying to weigh these aspects myself.
Was thinking of starting a thread “Pros and Cons of keeping or selling back your Bolt”. Go ahead and start it if you want.

·
Registered
154 Posts
…the disquieting aspect is will there be parts for the Bolt and for how long? I am trying to weigh these aspects myself.
There should be powertrain parts for at least the extent of the warranty, which goes out 8 years. So yeah, there won’t be a robust market unless the same powertrain modules are used in other vehicles. I’m not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There should be powertrain parts for at least the extent of the warranty, which goes out 8 years. So yeah, there won’t be a robust market unless the same powertrain modules are used in other vehicles. I’m not worried about it.
I’m more concerned about windshields.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I bought my bolt because it was a very good deal at the time. I did not realize how Chevy did not support it very much. Now that our cars will be discontinued all together, do you think we'll have any support at all? This is one of the things that make me possibly want to get rid of the car.
You be sayin what I be 🤔thinking.
GM has went an dropped so many car marques that even they can't remember them all!
Whole divisions to. As pontiac, Saturn, an old mobile.
Picture that monopoly feller
The one with the eye glass.
All they care about is money.
Now and agin a real car feller comes along and we get a right ✅ fine car
But then gm fires him and quits the car
We be in the Bolt end times

·
Registered
529 Posts
Someone in another thread thinks so, and I think this deserves its own thread.

I think survival of the Bolt is a 50/50 proposition.

If LG can't convince GM that they can make Bolt batteries that are reliable, then that is indeed the end of the Bolt.

On the other hand, if GM can be reasonably certain that the fire problem is mitigated, GM will be forced to continue making Bolts and they could still be quite successful. This is especially true if the $12,500 tax credit passes. Even with the Bolt's tarnished reputation, GM could sell Bolts at a very nice profit and the Bolt would offer the best value of anything in the market for quite some time. Even Tesla won't be able to compete with the Bolt on price for at least a couple of years.

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
There have been rumors circulating that when GM is ready for Chevy to offer Ultium based EVs, the Bolt would be discontinued. Speculation was 2023 and 2024 for EV and EUV respectively.

Will the recalls accelerate this? Maybe, if full capacity is needed to build cells for the existing fleet, very little would be gained by restarting production of Bolts.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
460 Posts
Public perception regarding the Bolt is so bad right now. I love the car and would consider another one after this has all been figured out, but the general public may have already passed judgement on this and future variations. So I think it may be done. :/

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Battery plants in South Korea and Michigan operated by LG Energy Solution have been identified by GM as the source of defects behind a rash of battery-related fires in the Bolt that have triggered three recalls and $1.8 billion in warranty set-asides by GM since last November"

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,815 Posts
Merged with duplicate thread:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Other than the Pinto, I can't think of another nameplate dropped by a car manufacturer due to fires.

Canyonero?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I’m more concerned about windshields.
Replacement windshields will be available for decades. The Fuyao factory in Ohio that makes the OEM Bolt windshields also makes aftermarket replacement windshields for the Bolt (without GM labeling) and many other cars (saw a 1980s car with a broken windshield once, then shortly thereafter with a new Fuyao windshield).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts