Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Other than the Pinto, I can't think of another nameplate dropped by a car manufacturer due to fires.
Ford continued to sell Pintos for a couple of years after the fire fiasco tho...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought my bolt because it was a very good deal at the time. I did not realize how Chevy did not support it very much. Now that our cars will be discontinued all together, do you think we'll have any support at all? This is one of the things that make me possibly want to get rid of the car.
Do you have links to back up what you posted about discontinuation?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,836 Posts
Other than the Pinto, I can't think of another nameplate dropped by a car manufacturer due to fires.

Canyonero?
Hey, at least it wasn't discontinued for outright ugliness, like the Pontiac Aztec. (Sorry to any Aztec owners here.)

·
Registered
785 Posts
A piece of sheet metal for a fix wasn't near as involved though as a battery fix.
Exactly. I see the reason people compare this to the Pinto, but there are also a LOT of differences...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Given the news that they are going to discontinue the nameplate and the crazy situation about the batteries all having defects who knows? I'm trying to take action making calls and emails; below is my email to the dealership manager. I figured.it won't hurt to at least put in a request the worst that can happen is they ignore me or say no;
Email to Maher Chevrolet St Petersburg Florida 8/22/21
Hi Mr Towler. I bought a 2017 chevrolet Bolt LT in early 2018 from Your dealer. The expanded recall for ALL Bolts seem to be a lot of headache I didn't anticipate when buying the car. Have You all been in touch with the GM regional reps? It seems like this would be an opportunity to step up on the customer behalf after the sale. I think a non expiring "owner loyalty certificate" would be in order here.
What news are you talking about? Could you provide a link to where it says the Bolt is to be discontinued?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discontinuation is speculation, no official word yet. I think GM Authority site started the rumors, though many have assumed this would be the case here and elsewhere. Chevy Bolt EV Could Be Replaced With Ultium-Based Crossover
While we have loved driving our Bolt, I have to agree with the other posters that the Bolt name has been damaged as a model brand in general and CERTAINLY within the EV community. Having ordered a Tesla, listening to them talk about what is going on with the Bolt shows how poorly these issues with fires play in different EV communities. The Bolt is a great size, decent range, and has good features at its price point, certainly at the often discounted price points it sold at. However, getting new adopters to choose Bolt now, will take a marketing effort of mammoth proportions similar to what Ford had to do after the Explorer tire failures. At least Ford could point at Bridgestone/Firestone, throwing them under the bus for part of the debacle. GM can't throw LG under the bus, because they still need batteries out of LG to even start digging out. It's not like GM can call up another supplier and have new batteries delivered tomorrow.

I think it likely that 2022 will be the last Bolt model year and whatever EV replaces it will be called some completely different, "Chevy EV" or "Chevy EUV", but likely anything other than a Bolt.

-usna92

Reactions: davioh2001

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought my bolt because it was a very good deal at the time. I did not realize how Chevy did not support it very much. Now that our cars will be discontinued all together, do you think we'll have any support at all? This is one of the things that make me possibly want to get rid of the car.
I own a Saturn Sky. Saturn went out of business over 10 years ago, and it can still be serviced by a GM dealership or other third party repair shops. In fact, I had my AC compressor replaced by a local shop a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
170 Posts
While we have loved driving our Bolt, I have to agree with the other posters that the Bolt name has been damaged as a model brand in general and CERTAINLY within the EV community. Having ordered a Tesla, listening to them talk about what is going on with the Bolt shows how poorly these issues with fires play in different EV communities.
Any proof beside anecdotal evidence of (someone told me that...). We could say the same with most EVs including Tesla with fires and accidents while on autopilot. Yet i don't see Tesla going anywhere, you?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,836 Posts
It's still early in the game. GM may be behind on the scoreboard in some eyes, but the final score hasn't been determined yet. As I mentioned in another thread, when I tell people who ask me about the recall that GM will replace the battery and reset the warranty, their reaction has generally been, "That sounds like a good deal."

Just as an example, read the comments on the article at Ars Technica about GM and LG. The tone among that relatively technical group of people is very different than the tone on this forum.

Still, I think I agree with those that say GM would be better served choosing a new name.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Or to put this another way:
"Now that our cars will be discontinued all together, do you think we'll have any support at all?"
....is a question that can be asked by any owner of any car that is eventually discontinued...

My answer.
Yes... I think it will still be supported for quite a while..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Still, I think I agree with those that say GM would be better served choosing a new name.
I don't.
First it is a technical issue with batteries before a brand issue. Solve the technical issue and you will likely solve the brand issue.
Secondly, market is driven by offer rather than demand: long wait list for most new EVs, chip shortage and need for low emission cars.
Lastly, this is my opinion here: there is no need to change a name when the name itself isn't well known. When i bought my Bolt last year family, friends, colleagues all thought i was buying a Volt, didn't even know what the Bolt was. Marketing is marketing, good or bad. At least with this, people will be aware that the Bolt exists.

·
Administrator
2,726 Posts
Having ordered a Tesla, listening to them talk about what is going on with the Bolt shows how poorly these issues with fires play in different EV communities. The Bolt is a great size, decent range, and has good features at its price point, certainly at the often discounted price points it sold at.
I attended a car show this past weekend, there was a guy there with another 2018 Bolt. He also owns a Tesla M3, but brought the Bolt because it is not as common at car shows. He loves his Bolt and prefers it for just about everything except long trips which he uses the M3 for. He was very excited about getting a new battery and warranty, and had no real issues with the way GM is currently handling things, though like most of us, sooner would be preferable.

Both of us had visitors pretty much non-stop during the show. People looked at a few of the Teslas, the Plaid, the Signature Edition S, and the Roadster. But the MS and M3 got very little traffic. The Niro, ID4s and Mach-e's also got a lot of attention. The '72 911 conversion that has run the Pikes Peak Hill Climb was the hit of the EVs at the show.

Honestly, people asked about the recall, but when they heard new battery, bump in capacity, and new warranty, they were impressed.

If you look on any forum, people defend their decision and deride others far more often than they praise other models. Probably human nature.

·
Registered
580 Posts
People still buy Tylenol.
That's because the Tylenol scare was handled flawlessly. They immediately stopped selling it and didn't put it back on the shelves until they had a solution to put customers as ease. This was the textbook case of the right way to handle a recall and potential PR nightmare. Now people trust Tylenol more than ever.

GM has not handled this like Tylenol. They should have immediately stopped selling the Bolt and made some serious concessions to existing customers. Instead, they tried to scam us with a software fix everyone knew would not work.

Eventually, GM might be forced to do the right thing. But now the damage is done.

If GM had handled this like Tylenol they would have come out of it with even more consumer confidence in the brand. But GM has been very short-sighted. If they leave us hanging much longer then nobody will have confidence in a GM EV.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Eventually, GM might be forced to do the right thing. But now the damage is done.
I think they are doing the right thing. People keep expecting a windfall from this. I see them working to make people whole with a new battery that has an 8 year warranty, and additional range for some.

So, are you going to sell it? Only way to ensure being safe...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think they are doing the right thing. People keep expecting a windfall from this. I see them working to make people whole with a new battery that has an 8 year warranty, and additional range for some.

So, are you going to sell it? Only way to ensure being safe...
I have very little confidence that GM/LG will be able to fix the manufacturing problem, then produce 140,000 new battery packs, then get them installed in everyone's car in a timely fashion. It's a process that would take many years. Customers can not wait many years with a car that only has a range of 110 miles.

So once again, GM is not being forthcoming. First they try the software scam that they knew would not work. Now they are trying to tell us they will replace batteries but they have not announced a credible plan to make that happen.

It's all just another stall tactic while they negotiate with LG to see who is going to pay for our buyouts.

The way I see this playing out is that GM will announce that LG has solved the problem and we should all trust them to do battery replacements. But they won't announce how soon those replacements will happen. Like the Hyundai battery recall, the replacements will start to trickle out without any visibility as to when individual customers will get their turn. Again, this is just another stalling tactic while they pray that the new batteries don't catch on fire and they delay having to do buyouts.

Eventually, it will become apparent that the battery replacement plan is not working. Lawsuits gain momentum. At that point, customers are given an offer that they can either continue to wait or get a buyback. Buyouts happen for those willing to accept a non-negotiable offer from GM.

All this is far from "doing the right thing".

21 - 40 of 74 Posts