Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my bolt after test driving the demo fairly extensively and then doing a quick around the block in the one I was purchasing. I didn't notice until the ride home that the hard buttons for the environmental controls were not functional. A week later the local dealership (who in not a bolt dealer) gets me in and starts to investigate. It's a bit slow going as they say they have to confirm every step they take with engineering. They have ordered a new module, so hopefully that will fix the issue... the soft buttons work fine and the heater works, just can't change temperature, fan speed, etc. hopefully they will have the part in a couple days...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the forums Blake! I'm sorry you're here because of a Bolt induced headache though. Sadly, as early adopters, problems like yours are slow going to to solve. The Bolt is likely one of the most technologically advanced cars GM has ever made, so as cars become more and more complex and integrated with software, the challenges for the techs repairing them become greater.

Repair stations at any car shop no matter the brand are no longer equipped with the knowledge and skill sets to properly diagnose problems, so they are mostly just parts changers. Basically, make an educated guess, change a part and see if that fixes it without ever really knowing why the part failed, or if that is the root cause. Just the way it is. Until manufacturers either create better tools for less educated workers to do proper diagnostics, or we start paying our mechanics at the level of software engineers and expect higher education and training, this is the situation we have.

They will fix your car. I just hope their first guess is correct and you're on the road soon. Hopefully the dealership is treating you right.

On a purely selfish note, I sure wish I could go and see your car because I'd love to know more about how that dash comes apart. I'm considering getting into mine so that I can install the blue ambient lighting that comes on the Premiers. I really do wish I had that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealership is treating me well and hearing them Talk about what they were doing (and being an electrical engineer) they didn't seem like they were *completely* blindly replacing parts... I think they moved the car so I'm not sure I can easily get to it to take additional pictures... the dash lighting is a nice touch

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like Blake got it in a state where it hasn't been released?

He's actually lucky that Chevy is providing parts to his dealer (or maybe they are going thru the original dealer to get them?).

One of the potential pitfalls of importing to a state where there are no authorized dealers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In Oregon, just 80mi away from an "authorized" dealer in the big city, but there is a Chevy dealer in town (who have sold Volts.) They are servicing it and I'm very greatful for that. I'm sure they could have punted...
Overall I feel like I'm being taken care of and don't want to seem like I'm complaining, just getting a data point out on an issue I'm seeing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately there is no update... The attempts to contact the "Chevy Engineers" have so far been unanswered all week... Hopefully the engineers are helping others out as they have had my bolt for almost 2 weeks and have replaced one part with no improvement...
I really loved driving the car for 10 days I had it... Now the dealership has had it longer than I have... :-/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update... Over 3 weeks in the shop and yesterday the local field engineer looked at it all day... anyone else have their Bold in the shop as long as I have? It seems like there is a programming issue. They replaced both of the key heater control components and have performed various programming apparently to no avail. :-(. Hoping they get it figured out soon... and that they roll this experience in to the manuals so others don't have to be without their vehicles for such a long period of time.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Another update... Over 3 weeks in the shop and yesterday the local field engineer looked at it all day... anyone else have their Bold in the shop as long as I have? It seems like there is a programming issue. They replaced both of the key heater control components and have performed various programming apparently to no avail. :-(. Hoping they get it figured out soon... and that they roll this experience in to the manuals so others don't have to be without their vehicles for such a long period of time.
Wow. That sucks. It does make you wonder if anybody actually knows how this car is put together! This is the problem with computer controlled cars where a CPU runs every system in the car. They'll probably find out that something about your rear window wiper is causing your heater controls not to work. At some point they should ship your car off to Michigan and give you another one.

I think we are witnessing in this thread and others, why GM isn't just rolling this car out nationwide and world wide on day one like they would an ordinary car. They know there is likely still issues to pop up. It's the new day in the automotive world where the customers get to be paying beta testers. A practice pioneered by Tesla.

Oh well, I feel for you... :crying:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I feel like dealerships are going to start hiring IT guys soon, just so they can have someone dedicated to CPU problems on hand and can go through it more thoroughly than the mechanics who just takes a crash course every time a new model comes out.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I feel like dealerships are going to start hiring IT guys soon, just so they can have someone dedicated to CPU problems on hand and can go through it more thoroughly than the mechanics who just takes a crash course every time a new model comes out.
I completely agree with you!
From what I've seen/read about dealerships servicing modern vehicles... it's completely over their heads.... and it's only going to get worse!

Right now, every time there's a hiccup... the dealer tech gets on the phone with GM engineering. Imagine the backlog if they did a 50 state simultaneous Bolt roll-out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, another update... Still no fix... Seriously, I can't make this up. I've asked Chevy to make this right. Monday will tell if they are going to do it. I suspect by the time I get a fixed vehicle it will have a "new paint job."
I highly suspect there is a wire that isn't crimped right or something silly like that going on. The local dealership is really good and they seem like they know what they are doing. Heck even the field engineer has now spent like 6 days on site working the issue. They have people looking into this across the world (Korea, Germany, even Utah I guess...)
I did tell them today a really smart guy on the forums asked if they checked the windshield wipers ;-)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ yikes!

Not how you'd like to see your brand new $40K vehicle :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
How long should a car be in the shop?

I too feel for you and wonder as to how long should the car be in the shop before:
A) you are given a replacement Bolt
B) you are given a loaner car
In fairness, I believe that the dealership/ Chevy deserves a reasonable amount of time to diagnose and fix, but 3 weeks? And when does it end? Do you have lemon laws in Oregon? It does sound like chevy is doing everything it can to diagnose/fix the problem, but there does come a point in time where the needs of the customer and goodwill associated with the brand become as important (if not moreso) than the pure engineering challenge of getting to root cause.

Years back, I had a Toyota truck and the paint began to peel off in sheets. In that case the dealer, outright lied to me telling me there was no remedy while they knew full well that this was a common problem. I escalated to the regional level and they immediately scheduled to vehicle to be repainted. And, it turned out that the repainting went through the same service center I originally contacted!

Wishing you good luck and to get you car back quickly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rumor has it the car is fixed... They have a trim piece to install and I should get it back on 5/22 (tomorrow). Now what will chevy do for me, or do I have them repurchase the vehicle under Oregon Lemon law... It would be a shame, but chevy customer service hasn't impressed me. We will see what they come up with. Their strategy was clearly to delay with as much red tape as possible until the car was fixed... They had my brand new vehicle for 41 days...
If anyone has a similar problem, it was the "center stack"... There was a module that wasnt outputting the right voltage. everything else with the module was working, so it was a tough one to track down. (Funny part is that if they would have left the dealership to their own devices and not involved engineering, I bet they would have figured it out within 2 weeks...) Good news is I'm sure there will be a TSB and or updated troubleshooting instructions... (The field engineer spend ~ 8 days working this and had his vacation canceled... I feel a bit bad for that... Sorry Tom!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Car is fixed! Was a bad module that wasn't outputting the incorrect signal voltage. Turns out it was in the written spec, but it was close to the low end and as it turns out a little too low... hopefully they release a TSB warning of this but it seems like it's not a widespread issue. Fix was pretty minor in the large scheme of things, sad it took them 45 days to do it... Yep, my brand new Bolt was in the shop for 45 days while engineers around the world performed a "root cause" on my car.
Dealership was fantastic, Chevy customer service left some to be desired We have yet to see if they will compensate me adequately or I'll have the first lemon law Bolt.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Car is fixed! Was a bad module that wasn't outputting the incorrect signal voltage. Turns out it was in the written spec, but it was close to the low end and as it turns out a little too low... hopefully they release a TSB warning of this but it seems like it's not a widespread issue. Fix was pretty minor in the large scheme of things, sad it took them 45 days to do it... Yep, my brand new Bolt was in the shop for 45 days while engineers around the world performed a "root cause" on my car.
Dealership was fantastic, Chevy customer service left some to be desired We have yet to see if they will compensate me adequately or I'll have the first lemon law Bolt.
Just curious, what kind of compensation are you looking for? Did they give you a comparable loaner car? If it was gas powered, did they cover the gas?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts