Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Bolt Premier with approx. 60K miles on it. I have been seeing this error message: Charging interrupted or Overridden, quite often, lately. I would say it happens once every week, on average, for about 6 months now. Does anybody else get this same error message? Does anybody more knowledgeable than myself (I have no clue!) understand exactly what is going on and why this error message is happening? The car does show that the battery has charged up to around where it always does, every morning. With Hill Top Reserve ON (90% restriction to max charge) I get my GOM saying around 165 miles are available, every morning, error message or not. I wonder if it is my Clipper Creek Charger, or the Charging Cable between the Charger and my Bolt, or the Bolt EV (battery or software) itself, that is the root cause of the problem?

Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mobile device Font

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt Premier with approx. 60K miles on it. I have been seeing this error message: Charging interrupted or Overridden, quite often, lately. I would say it happens once every week, on average, for about 6 months now. Does anybody else get this same error message? Does anybody more knowledgeable than myself (I have no clue!) understand exactly what is going on and why this error message is happening? The car does show that the battery has charged up to around where it always does, every morning. With Hill Top Reserve ON (90% restriction to max charge) I get my GOM saying around 165 miles are available, every morning, error message or not. I wonder if it is my Clipper Creek Charger, or the Charging Cable between the Charger and my Bolt, or the Bolt EV (battery or software) itself, that is the root cause of the problem?

View attachment 36792
Are you participating in any electric utility programs, or Chevy smart charging programs? Does your Clipper Creek EVSE have any charging time settings?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier, 2020 Bolt Premier
136 Posts
I have seen this for different reasons.
  • The EVSE was unplugged or lost power while the car was charging. (interrupted)
  • Charging settings were remotely changed from the myChevrolet App while charging was in progress. (overridden)
As MichBolt said a smart charger could also trigger this warning by stopping (or pausing) the charge process before it's finished.

There may also be other causes, but I haven't run into them so far.

It's just an information message to you and not a real error for say, you can turn it off in charging settings, but you should still understand the cause first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much, MichBolt and buk855! Great ideas/insight into this error message. I have the E6 PG&E choice for California, which does not do anything like interrupt the Charger. It merely establishes the rates for different times of usage. I do not use any Chevy smart charging or MyChevroletApp programs. The only thing I do use is: I tell my Bolt (using the Bolt charging software) that I want to be fully charged up by 5 am each day, and then the Bolt figures out when to start the charging, and starts drawing power (L2 240VAC) from the Clipper Creek charger accordingly.

I like the comment: The Charger was unplugged or lost power while the car was charging. I read on another thread on this forum, that this may be caused by loose connections in the wiring from the 240 VAC main (house) panel breaker to the Clipper Creek charger. Apparently the other poster said that he found the screws that hold the wires tightly inside the charger, were not tight at all. He turned them 2-3 full turns! I will (very carefully) look into this being the same situation in my case. It sure sounds like some intermittent connection nonsense is going on somewhere in the charging circuit.

Thanks so much, once again, for your thoughts! I will update this thread when I find out more, by looking deeper into my intermittent situation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, I thought I should update this particular situation. So, I opened up my Clipper Creek charger, and found a loose wire inside the charger! I just tightened it up properly, and have had no "Charging interrupted or overridden" alarms ever since. It has been over 2 months since I worked on the fix.

So, yes, this particular error message can definitely be caused by a loose connection, somewhere in the charger circuit. It is worth checking it, all the way from the panel breaker, right up to the charger itself, within the charger itself and also within the cable that goes from the charger to the car.

So, in this case, the Bolt was not to blame whatsoever! 😀

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok, I thought I should update this particular situation. So, I opened up my Clipper Creek charger, and found a loose wire inside the charger! I just tightened it up properly, and have had no "Charging interrupted or overridden" alarms ever since. It has been over 2 months since I worked on the fix.

So, yes, this particular error message can definitely be caused by a loose connection, somewhere in the charging circuit. It is worth checking it, all the way from the panel breaker, right up to the charger itself, within the charger itself and also within the cable that goes from the charger to the car.

So, in this case, the Bolt was not to blame whatsoever! 😀
Thanks for this. It sounds like I need to open up my JuiceBox, since I have had a few random Charging Interruptions as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for this. It sounds like I need to open up my JuiceBox, since I have had a few random Charging Interruptions as well.
Checked my JuiceBox - no user serviceable parts inside the J1772 connector and nothing amiss in the box. J/B tech support may be correct in saying their data shows the Bolt is doing the interrupting.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,962 Posts
Checked my JuiceBox - no user serviceable parts inside the J1772 connector and nothing amiss in the box. J/B tech support may be correct in saying their data shows the Bolt is doing the interrupting.
Do you have a way to test the Bolt at a different charger, preferably one that's known to be good? If you get the same problem with different chargers, that suggests an issue with the Bolt. What happens if you use the OEM EVSE that came with the Bolt?

·
Registered
396 Posts
That’s something I plan to do if the problem gets reproducible. As of now it only occurs during 1 of 5 or 6 charging sessions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts