Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,098 Posts
Plus - if you have a bad battery it may get detected
Minus - you're limited to 80% of maximum charge

For me, given the vanishingly small probability of a problem with my battery, the minus outweighs the plus.
Once spring rolls around, and I get my range back, I may have the software installed. However, then I'm banking on getting a new pack before next winter. So I'm still mulling it over.

·
Registered
264 Posts
FWIW, from the Facebook group yesterday:

DS: "As of a month ago, Chevy had replaced 16,000 batteries and had shipped 24,000 batteries to dealers. They have been ramping up at a furious pace, but we are obviously a long ways away from wrapping this up. My sources say that the GM engineers wrote a program prioritizing your position in line based on the individual vehicle Onstar data - how you drive and how you charge."

DC: "Where did you get the information on the programming and the completion numbers? It's great stuff and I'd love to verify the source. Thanks."

DS: "He is a GM exec deeply involved with this recall and I'm sure he would not want his name out there. I trust his info 100% though."

8500 in 2021 Q4, another 8000 in January 2022?
8k/month seems reasonable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Once spring rolls around, and I get my range back, I may have the software installed. However, then I'm banking on getting a new pack before next winter. So I'm still mulling it over.
Weather has warmed here. It's nice to see over 200 miles on the GOM at 80%.
And I've finally convinced the missus that we can park and charge in the garage again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Yes. Not being able to park in our attached garage was the worst part of the recall for us. Luckily we got no big snowstorms in NJ prior to us getting the software reflash done.

I can't say I am delighted with losing 20% of the range I leased (why no 20% rebate on my lease payments GM?) but not being able to keep the car garaged in the NJ winter was an enormous irritant. And since I have a 2020 under the present rate of battery replacement I am likely to have to live with the 20% range reduction for the remaining 2 years of my lease. This will all weigh heavily in our next purchase decision when we carshop in 2 years.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Based on production figures, it looks like there should be about 58K Bolts in line for a battery ahead of mine. If the 19K shipped as of 1/20/2022 is correct and the 8K per month replacement rate is accurate, that hints that my 2020 may become eligible for a battery about June or July. It also suggests the whole program could perhaps be completed as early as April or May 2023. This all depends on that 8K a month figure being both accurate and sustainable. I guess the first quarter report will be the closest thing we get to a valid indicator. I guess in about 24 days we will know more.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
Based on production figures, it looks like there should be about 58K Bolts in line for a battery ahead of mine. If the 19K shipped as of 1/20/2022 is correct and the 8K per month replacement rate is accurate, that hints that my 2020 may become eligible for a battery about June or July. It also suggests the whole program could perhaps be completed as early as April or May 2023. This all depends on that 8K a month figure being both accurate and sustainable. I guess the first quarter report will be the closest thing we get to a valid indicator. I guess in about 24 days we will know more.
Don't forget that not every owner will get the replacement battery. "A 2012 NHTSA-sponsored study found that 21 to 25 percent of the problems covered by recall notices between 2006 and 2010 remained unrepaired." (link)

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,345 Posts
It also suggests the whole program could perhaps be completed as early as April or May 2023.
As the owner of a 2022, that doesn't please me much. That means another winter with only 80% charging. Yes, I accepted the limiting software, but it's almost a requirement to be able to park in the garage and leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As the owner of a 2022, that doesn't please me much. That means another winter with only 80% charging. Yes, I accepted the limiting software, but it's almost a requirement to be able to park in the garage and leave it plugged in.
Agreed. This whole thing should not be happening, but it is. The only good news is it seems to be happening a little faster than we first thought, but still way way too slowly. Maybe once they get through the 17-19s they might want to prioritize based on climate and season. Cars in cold weather area are impacted more, fix as many as possible before winter. Also dealers should be expected to complete x number of swaps per day per tech, and failure to do so should result in delayed delivery of new cars to sell, even ICEs. Some of the dealers seem to be attempting to not do any swaps at all. GM should penalize them for this. Get with the program or get out of the business.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I don't really "need" a 100% battery right now.
If my 2020 really did get a full new battery pack then I'd be thrilled to have some 40K miles on it. Kinda like getting a new car. I'm hoping that they do give full new packs and drag it out for years. (at least my car)

The last piece of the puzzle is getting Tesla to open a SC in one spot or some other company at that location. Then it would be smooth sailing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't really "need" a 100% battery right now.
If my 2020 really did get a full new battery pack then I'd be thrilled to have some 40K miles on it. Kinda like getting a new car. I'm hoping that they do give full new packs and drag it out for years. (at least my car)

The last piece of the puzzle is getting Tesla to open a SC in one spot or some other company at that location. Then it would be smooth sailing.
Just because your car becomes eligible doesn't mean you can't wait until later. A lot of folks never get a recall completed for one reason or another.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jaryd Carvell, our friendly neighborhood GM EV tech, posted an update on FB yesterday.

"GM has been adding vehicles to eligibility faster and faster lately including yesterday, and even added the first small batch of 2020-2022s recently, so make sure you all double check your eligibility status if you haven't done so recently."

"Last I checked the battery center had shipped almost 30k batteries out of 150k total, so I'd personally guess we will be through the bulk of them within the year but of course can't guarantee that."

·
Registered
520 Posts
Jaryd Carvell, our friendly neighborhood GM EV tech, posted an update on FB yesterday.

"GM has been adding vehicles to eligibility faster and faster lately including yesterday, and even added the first small batch of 2020-2022s recently, so make sure you all double check your eligibility status if you haven't done so recently."

"Last I checked the battery center had shipped almost 30k batteries out of 150k total, so I'd personally guess we will be through the bulk of them within the year but of course can't guarantee that."
Multiple posts claim, and plans to restart production suggest, that battery manufacture is not the rate limiting factor. I have previously considered that when production resumes, GM may make ALL bolts eligible to placate owners of newer model years who might not like having to wait while new cars roll out with no restrictions.

But there is still going to be a bottleneck somewhere, and I hope GM actually continues to “manage” the process by slowly transitioning reasonable batches of cars to 881 status and doesn’t just dump the burden on owners to have to call a bunch of dealers every week to see which one is willing to order a battery with 50,000+ cars all of sudden eligible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh dear, still awaing my batt for my 2017 - is there a method to Chevy's madness for the battery que? By VIN? By geographic location? Moon phase? LoL I await patiently for't - "We are but times subjectss and bid us, time be gone....Wait!! what is this I hear? A new Bolt battery arriving anon? No sadly tis' but the creaking of an un-greased wheel on a pedlers cart moving by" - Apologies to Ol' Will Shakespeare LoL :giggle:

·
Registered
51 Posts
It makes sense if there really is a surplus of batteries.

Anyone else hear this?
Well, I have no knowledge of surplus batteries, but my email contact with Jenna, at the Concierge site, suddenly stopped in mid February, after she promised to keep me informed of battery availability for our 2020. She had been contacting me every couple weeks, but it suddenly stopped, and I get no response from the Concierge team when I forward my emails that were going to Jenna. I have not gotten the software upgrade, but I've maintained the car at 80% and followed all else GM prescribed. Is there anybody out there who has had a 2020 replacement, and if so, do you, or anyone else know where replacements stand per VIN #'s? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Until I get the new battery I'll continue to run it as much as I can. Hopefully if I do wait, I'll still receive a new pack and not just some rebuilt pack.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My battery installed yesterday in my 2017, very pleased that GM stepped up and dealer provided me a rental and Chevy reimbursing me for the gas used, new warranty and additional range !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Greeting!

My 2017 Bolt is at Parks Chevrolet in Huntersville getting it's new battery right now!

Parks didn't offer rental but I bought my Bolt from the used lot. Probably why I have to pay for my own rental.

Only downside is how expensive rental cars have become.

Parks says 2 days but goes on to say by Thursday or Friday.

Well anyway it looks good from here!

Gas in Charlotte is currently about $4.19 a gallon. Some more some less.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts