Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
For anyone who has receive the new battery or is in the process. Did you need to do anything to initiate the process prior to scheduling the repair?
I called a local dealer after the recall number switched from ending in -883 to -881. When I called, they told me they had already mailed me a letter asking to call and schedule the service. I did not buy the car from them, but I had identified them as my preferred dealer in the myChevrolet app. I think that is why they contacted me.

It takes a week or so for the dealer to get the battery, so depending on the dealer they may want to order and then schedule you once it arrives or they have a good idea about shipping - so this was a 2 call process for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went to Parks Chevrolet in Huntersville, NC prompted by a letter from Chevrolet.

That stated "get the 80% limit or no battery.

I got the 80% limit in one of the coldest winters I have ever experienced in Charlotte, NC.

I did suffer anxiety from this limiting software.

But the Bolt never let me down.

I had to put limits on myself, such as limiting my top speed to 65 MPH.

And installing a 500W inverter under the hood hooked to a 400W heater.

In the cab. Plus Heated Gloves and a Heated Jacket.

I was cold most of the time, but above 35F little heater worked well.

And the Bolt never left me stranded.

My Bolt is in the shop right now.

Getting a new battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
... prompted by a letter from Chevrolet.
That stated "get the 80% limit or no battery.
Do you by any chance still have that letter? I am assuming that it was not actually from Chevrolet (proper), but instead from a Chevrolet dealership that would welcome your generating some extra business for them. If I am wrong about that, and it is directly from Chevrolet, I would very much like to see it posted here, or at least the portion of it where it states what you've shared here. I just have a very hard time believing Chevrolet would leverage an official recall like that.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Jaryd Carvell, our friendly neighborhood GM EV tech, posted an update on FB yesterday.

"GM has been adding vehicles to eligibility faster and faster lately including yesterday, and even added the first small batch of 2020-2022s recently, so make sure you all double check your eligibility status if you haven't done so recently."

"Last I checked the battery center had shipped almost 30k batteries out of 150k total, so I'd personally guess we will be through the bulk of them within the year but of course can't guarantee that."
Indeed about the batch. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V650-6891.pdf from Feb 28th, 2022 says:
"Additional 2020 - 2022 model year Chevrolet Bolt EV vehicles have been moved
to ‘Open’ status in IVH and are now eligible for a battery module replacement. "

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you by any chance still have that letter? I am assuming that it was not actually from Chevrolet (proper), but instead from a Chevrolet dealership that would welcome your generating some extra business for them. If I am wrong about that, and it is directly from Chevrolet, I would very much like to see it posted here, or at least the portion of it where it states what you've shared here. I just have a very hard time believing Chevrolet would leverage an official recall like that.
I used the letter for toilet paper.

They said they replaced the battery but it isn't on the shop ticket.

The GOM shows 260 miles but the POS Bolt only charges to 238. The max original battery.

I am done with the Bolt. And especially Chevrolet. Trading it on a Mazda 3 next week.

I am so pissed right now I can hardly breathe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The letter is from:

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

It states that Chevrolet will change the Battery Modules.

Not the whole battery. Sorry to burst anyone's dream of getting a 66kW battery.

I sure didn't. Goodby Chevrolet and so long Bolt!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dropping my 17 off Tuesday evening (3/22/22) so it will be there first thing Wednesday for the battery swap. The dealer only has a level 2 charging station so they said It will probably be Thursday when I get mine back.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The letter is from:

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

Lots of threads on this forum discussing how GM uses the term module and battery interchangeably. Dealer techs are not opening battery pack cases and swapping modules, they are swapping complete pack assemblies. The part number for the 2017-2019 Bolt replacements is the same part number for the 2020-2022 replacements even though GM calls one a battery and the other a module. Replacing modules inside the pack is much too time consuming and failure prone. Synchronizing replacement modules in a pack would be a multi-day process. Defective modules inside a pack cannot be identified without destroying them. Only whole assemblies are being replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That stated "get the 80% limit or no battery. ...
The letter is from:

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

Your distain for Chevrolet and the Bolt aside, was there actually anywhere in that letter "That stated "get the 80% limit or no battery. " ?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Your distain for Chevrolet and the Bolt aside, was there actually anywhere in that letter "That stated "get the 80% limit or no battery. " ?
My letter from Chevrolet never said that.
I have never heard anyone else say that either.
And his shop ticket probably states the recall completed with the recall number. It does not have to state otherwise the battery was replaced because it was stated in the recall that that was the remedy.

·
Registered
384 Posts

The GOM shows 260 miles but the POS Bolt only charges to 238. The max original battery.

I am done with the Bolt. And especially Chevrolet. Trading it on a Mazda 3 next week.

Does you Bolt charge to 100 percent? If not they have the wrong software installed, as has happened to several others. Did they do the battery capacity relearn process? (I forget the proper term.) A number of owners have had the same problem and had to return to the dealer to get this corrected. Some of the techs seem to be missing steps or cutting corners.

·
Registered
2021 Black Bolt EV Premier
1,261 Posts
The letter is from:

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

Chevrolet calls the entire pack a “module” so they will replace the ENTIRE PACK.

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does you Bolt charge to 100 percent? If not they have the wrong software installed, as has happened to several others. Did they do the battery capacity relearn process? (I forget the proper term.) A number of owners have had the same problem and had to return to the dealer to get this corrected. Some of the techs seem to be missing steps or cutting corners.
My dealer insisted the replacement and reprogramming was done correctly. They stated, “all bars are showing green,” regardless of the fact that only 16 of 20 bars (80%) on the Flow screen were green. I got GM management involved, at first they blew me off because of the dealer’s claim, but when I sent them a picture of the Flow screen they reconsidered and sent the district manager to teach the dealer tech how to reprogram the vehicle. On my third visit they finally got it right. They claimed they had to use different firmware from what they were used to because I have a 2017 Bolt which does not have the selectable charge level, other than Hilltop Mode.

By the way, I got my replacement done simply by asking my GM rep to do so. It took about a week, but he “opened” my VIN which allowed the dealer to order the battery.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
By the way, I got my replacement done simply by asking my GM rep to do so. It took about a week, but he “opened” my VIN which allowed the dealer to order the battery.
This is an interesting tidbit. It implies that one can get escalated on the battery replacement priority list through the "GM rep" (Chevy EV concierge?). However, you have a 2017, and those appear to be mostly moved to battery replacement eligible status already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is an interesting tidbit. It implies that one can get escalated on the battery replacement priority list through the "GM rep" (Chevy EV concierge?). However, you have a 2017, and those appear to be mostly moved to battery replacement eligible status already.
Looks like I ought to give that a try. Having a 2017 that was built in Nov. 2016 and purchased Jan. 2017, it's frustrating to keep seeing that 83 status when so many others are getting them.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I tried that and had no success, she said it was not within their capability… probably just a coincidence that his VIN came up about the same time. Mine came up just a few days after I had asked.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

The letter is from:

Chevrolet
P.O. Box 909989
Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kW".

It is pointless to make determinations based upon the GOM. Look under the car, probably on the driver's side. As I mentioned at Got a new battery, you should see N2.2 and 64 kWh.

Reactions: BoltCanuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like I ought to give that a try. Having a 2017 that was built in Nov. 2016 and purchased Jan. 2017, it's frustrating to keep seeing that 83 status when so many others are getting them.
Woo Hoo !!!! What a difference a few days make. My status just flipped from 83 to 81 today. (y)

UPDATE: Dealer says they'll order the battery, but they are backed up 6 weeks for install (which appears to be common here in the SF Bay area). At least I know is in the works and will be done.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts