Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got a "just checking in" call from EV Concierge today. She didn't know we already had the software update (in January). I did ask if there is an estimate when our 2021 might get a new battery - I already knew the answer but asked anyway - and the answer was the expected "no estimate at this time".

Now the weather has gotten warmer, and my wife has finally agreed it's safe to charge in the garage, we are having no issues with the 80% cap. Indeed, I'd probably be capping at 80-85% anyway for battery longevity. So waiting is no real hardship. Still, when I see these folks doing MSRP swaps for 2022 EUVs and getting cash back, it does make me wonder... ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I got a "just checking in" call from EV Concierge today. She didn't know we already had the software update (in January). I did ask if there is an estimate when our 2021 might get a new battery - I already knew the answer but asked anyway - and the answer was the expected "no estimate at this time".

Now the weather has gotten warmer, and my wife has finally agreed it's safe to charge in the garage, we are having no issues with the 80% cap. Indeed, I'd probably be capping at 80-85% anyway for battery longevity. So waiting is no real hardship. Still, when I see these folks doing MSRP swaps for 2022 EUVs and getting cash back, it does make me wonder... ;)
Yes, this no estimate stuff is really unsettling. With no idea how they are prioritizing battery pack replacements, not knowing if it is next week, next month, next year, or maybe even the following year is a bit too ambiguous. Since they are back in production I am starting to think I should look at a swap, even though I really just want is a car without a recall. I don't really see any other advantage to it. I suppose I should call and try to get things started, I can always cancel out if I don't like the offer.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,098 Posts
This is the latest from Jaryd on the progress of the battery replacements. He said they are about 1/3 of the way through, worldwide. He did note in a follow up, that this is based on the number of packs shipped to dealers, not actually completed installs.
Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Rectangle Number

·
Registered
384 Posts
This is the latest from Jaryd on the progress of the battery replacements. He said they are about 1/3 of the way through, worldwide. He did note in a follow up, that this is based on the number of packs shipped to dealers, not actually completed installs.
View attachment 41682
This sounds great, but that would suggest they have produced something like 47K batteries since September 2021. Is that even possible? How much production capability do they have? That is almost 8k per month!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This sounds great, but that would suggest they have produced something like 47K batteries since September 2021. Is that even possible? How much production capability do they have? That is almost 8k per month!
I don't have specific numbers, but I can tell you that almost every single 17-19 Bolt is now battery eligible, along with a handful of the newer cars. Do we know how many Bolts were made over those three model years?

·
Registered
264 Posts
That lines up with what Jaryd has said previously.
IIRC, he has a contact at GM who tells him the approximate number of batteries shipped.
Looking forward to the official Q1 report from GM.

·
Registered
591 Posts
While this is encouraging overall, I’m not sure it bodes well for those of us with ‘20+ models. I still see posts from ‘17-‘19 owners who are waiting and now that new batteries are being shared with Lake Orion, our low priority cars are likely even lower. I was hoping for late spring - maybe now late fall? The interim software update may have been a mistake on my part.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
While this is encouraging overall, I’m not sure it bodes well for those of us with ‘20+ models. I still see posts from ‘17-‘19 owners who are waiting and now that new batteries are being shared with Lake Orion, our low priority cars are likely even lower. I was hoping for late spring - maybe now late fall? The interim software update may have been a mistake on my part.
According to Jaryd and other sources, pack production has increased to the point where they can accomplish both tasks simultaneously. And they can do so without slowing the pace of replacements.

If pack production is not the bottleneck in the entire replacement process, then it would be silly to not use excess production to make new EVs that the market desperately needs. And GM desperately needs to improve their rate of EV production. Currently they are a bit of a laughing stock.

The pace of replacements as Jaryd just reported, is such that I don't expect a new pack for my 2021 until late fall, at the earliest. My expectation hasn't changed now that Orion is producing again.

Reactions: AdrianC

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
According to Jaryd and other sources, pack production has increased to the point where they can accomplish both tasks simultaneously. And they can do so without slowing the pace of replacements...
Rate seems to be 1/3 in about 4-5 months, so that suggests roughly a year to get to those that want the replacements.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
While this is encouraging overall, I’m not sure it bodes well for those of us with ‘20+ models. I still see posts from ‘17-‘19 owners who are waiting...
I suspect that at least some of that is due to issues with local dealers not being able or interested in keeping up with demand. There seems to be a pretty broad spectrum of activity, with some dealers going through multiple vehicles a day and others claiming they can only do one or two a month, probably because they're unwilling to order more than one new battery at a time.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Rate seems to be 1/3 in about 4-5 months, so that suggests roughly a year to get to those that want the replacements.
It could be a bit sooner if the rate took some time to ramp up initially. I would be interested in knowing what the monthly rate has been the last two months vs the first month or so, for example.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I just did a bunch of number crunching that I have decided not to share simply because there really isn't good enough data available to make any accurate predictions. Too much guess work. The first-quarter report for 2022 should be coming out in about two weeks, and that should paint a much clearer picture.

I think the new battery production numbers are plausible, and the actual dealer installation rate is the bottleneck. I am wondering if the high rate battery production suggests that GM may have also made a decision to push Bolt production hard for another couple of years. The EV market is there and the Bolts are already in production, maybe they have decided to just run with it for awhile. Of course this could be intended for markets outside the US.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I still own the Bolt. They did replace the battery with a larger one.

Regularly get 260 estimated miles on the GOM.

Some milestones I've noticed are when I get to Stanley, NC Food Lion.

On my way home from work.

Previously with the smaller battery the GOM would say 208 miles.

Now under the same conditions the GOM says 228 miles.

Summer conditions only.

But still when I run the AC the Max charge level drops like a microwave timer.

Even when it is 106 F I can only run the AC intermittently and hope for a cool breeze to blow in through the open windows.

This is currently the only thing that I can't stand about the Bolt despite it's 66kW battery.

There is no way to run the AC without killing the range.

The Heater is even worse.

Now gas is approaching $5 a gallon in Charlotte, NC.

So I can live with a little discomfort.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
...There is no way to run the AC without killing the range.

The Heater is even worse...
When you finish your drive (before you can recharge), how close are you to running out of battery? It may interest you to know that the 2022 Bolt GOM does not change when you turn on the A/C. That doesn't mean the 2022 A/C is somehow more efficient than previous model years - it just means the software doesn't automatically deduct 20+ miles from the GOM just by turning on the A/C.

So seeing the GOM go down by 20 miles when you turn on the A/C may not actually reflect a realistic "loss of range." For model years 2017-21, it's more of a hard-coded software trigger that doesn't do any actual calculation. If you end up with more than 20 miles left at the end of your drive, you might as well keep the A/C on.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,345 Posts
There is no way to run the AC without killing the range.
I wonder if something changed with the 2022. Using the A/C has virtually no impact on the displayed or actual range. Heat, absolutely, as it can draw over 7 kW all by itself. But A/C really doesn't draw much power. I can be sitting parked somewhere with the car on, radio on, but nothing else running. Turning the A/C off and on make no difference in the real time power use display. Since it won't display less than full kW increments, that would indicate the A/C draws less than 1 kW. Of course, my fan speed is usually pretty low during such conditions, and if it were running at max speed that would increase the draw a bit as well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I didn't get what this was. " a 500W inverter under the hood hooked to a 400W heater. "

A few people have mentioned that the 22's don't seem to register hvac as it did.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,927 Posts
I didn't get what this was. " a 500W inverter under the hood hooked to a 400W heater. "

A few people have mentioned that the 22's don't seem to register hvac as it did.
@Electric Idiot means he installed a 500W power inverter connected to the Bolt's 12V battery, and then plugged in a stand-alone electric heater (400W) to that inverter, to provide localized heat in the cabin (probably at his feet). That lets him use the Bolt's heater less, and may save some energy overall.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts