Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can buy these tags to hang on your mirror: Charging Hang Tag / Courtesy Notice Bundle...
I'll have to get something like that. I just need a space to indicate a return time.

Free public chargers are rare around here...and there's only a single charger when I see them. Most of the time I would be "opportunity charging" and wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone who needs access to charge immediately.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would not routinely use a free charging station without patronizing the business or asking if it is OK. Once for example I had a problem at an electrify america station and had to charge at a nearby hotel. I asked if I could charge for a couple of hours so I could make it to another charger and offered to pay. They said no problem, no payment required.

In another case I tend to use a free charger near my son's house in a big city. There is really no way to contact anyone, but I occasionally send them a thank you note with a small check (they are a non-profit and take donations).

I also sometime call ahead to ask if it is OK to charge at a specific location. This seems especially important with Chevy dealers as some are really very nice and some....not so much.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks everyone! We have two level two chargers at our town hall that usually has at least one spot empty.
Ooooh man... write a cute little letter to your local whoever councilperson transportation doodle dandy thanking them for being so forward-looking. They love that sort of stuff. Nobody ever writes those people nice letters.

·
Registered
516 Posts
the other employees are butt hurt that they don't get free gasoline
A friend of mine worked for Aerovironment years back. The company that made EVSEs. He was a reliability engineer there. HE installed one of their flagship EVSE in the parking lot so he could plug in his EV conversion. The other employees were pissed.

"What are you doing? We don't have a big gas tank out there for me to fill up my car!"

His reply?

"Well, we don't make gas tanks here."

Later that day one of the higher-ups at the company came out and took photographs of the installation....... for the company Christmas card.

This story lends weight to the notion that people believe that since gas is expensive, electricity must be expensive too. Sure, you can argue entitlement and workplace perks, and yeah, there's a tinge of both, but on the scale of running even the smallest company, the cost is not even worth accounting for with just a couple of chargers. Just like coffee or Doughnut Friday.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'll have to get something like that. I just need a space to indicate a return time.
Free public chargers are rare around here...and there's only a single charger when I see them. Most of the time I would be "opportunity charging" and wouldn't want to inconvenience anyone who needs access to charge immediately.

View attachment 32771
I think the diagonal dashed line is to cut along the line and hang it from the charging port door. Otherwise, when someone unplugs you, they have no obvious place to secure it and it may get "lost" (blown away with the wind?).

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the diagonal dashed line is to cut along the line and hang it from the charging port door. Otherwise, when someone unplugs you, they have no obvious place to secure it and it may get "lost" (blown away with the wind?).
I'd just put it under their windshield wiper.if there was no obovious way to hang it. That being said, I've never seen one of these IRL.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One thing to consider in the short term is if your 110V service will work for your needs. I can charge from 0-60kWh in 7-8 hours on my 220V Level 2 service. The OEM 110V EVSE will charge at about 1/4 of that rate (about 28 hours from 0-60). So if your car is at home for 10 hours, you can recharge 20 kWh; over the course of 4 weeknights, that will be 80 kWh, then you can have a long session on the weekend.
Would that meet your needs most weeks? For the special times when it doesn't, then I am sure you can certainly use your neighboring "free" Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That math doesn't add up. If you're pulling 12 amps on 120 volts, you're getting 1,440 watts. Over 10 hours that's 14.4 kWh, not 20. Not to mention a portion of that often goes to battery conditioning.
Agree, and there're also charging losses due to resistance and AC/DC conversion. I've seen reports of 85% efficiency at 120V, which gets you to only about 1.224kW charge rate, or 12kWh in 10 hours. By no means unusable, but if you're commuting more than 60 miles a day, it's going to be hard to keep charged just with 120V home charging.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lots of good information above. I have been driving / riding electric for about a dozen years. I seldom leave my car more than an hour or two if using public EVSEs.
I place a note on the dash with my number and message that if light is solid green then they may unplug. I also try to find a place near where I have things to do so
that I am able to support local businesses that have put the EVSE in place. Just because someone else is an ass and leaves their vehicle plugged in long past full
is no reason to lower yourself to their level. EV drivers have enough hate and " fake news " to deal with without adding to it. I am in Vegas and there are hundreds
of free Level two EVSEs around. I see some places where the same vehicle seems to have been " forgotten " over several days. Even though there seem to be
available spots, THIS angers me as an EV driver because it will cause others to complain. We already have enough uphill to deal with.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
The only thing I can guess is that the circuit breaker itself wasn't working, which tripped something further up the line.
Yeah, there's no way that the main breaker should have been the one to deal with that.

Sometimes I wonder if circuit breakers are vulnerable to arcing that might fuse the contacts closed if you really, really overload them...

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't drink coffee, so I have saved the company more in free coffee than the company will ever spend on free electricity going into my car.
I worked in Tech Support at one time... On the day shift, I drank coffee until 5pm. So much coffee was consumed that the Controller was convinced that staff must be stealing it. She put a small garbage can to collect the empty foil coffee pouch wrappers, and was shocked to find that, yes, we actually drank all that coffee.

Once Covid hit, and I had to pay for my own [email protected]#$ coffee... that was an eye opener :) . I cut back to 4 cups per day.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can you give some examples of 'people stealing electricity'?
We're talking about Free Public L2's.
Things like the example of a residential neighbor parking in a company parking lot overnight. Near my house, there's a busy park (10k visitors per day). Across the street was a gas station with two public Aerovironments (one with broken J1772). A great spot if you were visiting the park in an EV.

Somebody living in a nearby highrise condo used to park an EV there seemingly 24x7. After six months of this, the gas station ripped-out both EVSEs. It wasn't really stealing, but using the same public EVSE all day, every day is just selfish. I guess the gas station could have put a sign up ("towed after 4 hours"), but really, people need to be told that this is not ok?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I guess the gas station could have put a sign up ("towed after 4 hours"), but really, people need to be told that this is not ok?
Yes. The only obviously obnoxious part of all this is staying connected when the vehicle has stopped actually charging. Then there's the much less obvious question of extreme temperatures and being plugged in for that. Then just rude to stay parked at the same spot on someone elses property.
So yes...the owner needs to post their rules and etiquette. Violate that and you're towed. On the minute with the truck waiting. Bam. Oh so sorry you're late. No excuses or grace periods. Hook up charge please. Will that be cash or plastic?

Some people feel they can just take and take. They need boundaries. They'll learn quick enough.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes. The only obviously obnoxious part of all this is staying connected when the vehicle has stopped actually charging. ....
I took this question to the city and power company about the signage at Charging stations.
The painted markings on most parking spots say 'EV Parking Only'. I said it should read 'EV Charging Only'.
The reply was "on Private Property. Nothing can be done..."
I see Tesla's all the time taking a charge spot up front but not plugged in.
Then there is the typical ICEing.

Then at a City Hall Parking Lot when I went to register my new Bolt I saw this sign that totally left me speechless:

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are plugged in, at least it implies that you were using the charger at some point. And I must admit I don't know how to look at a non-Bolt and tell if it's charging or not. I guess many chargers will tell me whether or not they are delivering power, but I've used some non-networked public chargers that don't give any obvious indication.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts