Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR: Retrofitted the EU/KR Power Folding Mirrors to a US Bolt EV Premier with 360 Camera: I did it but it is a h3ll lot of work, I can’t recommend it.

Ever since I discovered that the Opel Ampera E have an option for Power Folding Mirrors I though about a possible retrofit, a few weeks ago I realised that the online vendors like GMPartsDirect.com are listing and selling the parts required to do it, so a quick research lead to realization that there is not a Mirror assembly with both the 360 Camera and the Power Folding, looking at the repairprocedures.com information, (cost me $10 for 24 hours) I find out that the lower portion of the mirror, where the camera attach, is a separate part that can be swapped.
So I took the plunge and I ordered:
  • Window Switch (#23326290) @$46.88
  • Mirror Assembly, LEFT (#42553510) @$163.90
  • Mirror Assembly, RIGHT (42553500) @$163.90
Everything came nicely packaged, first surprise was that the writing on the Mirror (Objects in mirror are closer than they appear) are in Korean and that the driver side glass is convex. After checking everything I started working on the swap.

It became clear that it was not going to work out of the box:
  • The S146 Window/Outside Rearview Mirror Switch - Driver doesn’t have the pins for the Power Folding wires (pins 12 and 22)
  • The X510 Driver Outside Rearview Mirror Harness to Driver Door Harness is actually sharing the wires between the Camera (pins 9, 10, 11 and 12) and the Power Folding Control lines (pins 9 and 10) making theses two features incompatible with each other with the OEM wiring harness.
  • The same is true with X610 Passenger Outside Rearview Mirror Harness to Passenger Door Harness on the passenger side
  • That mean that the whole wiring harness for the Power Folding Mirror (2 wires) from the Driver door to the Passenger door is also missing.
  • The Power Folding Mirror shell will have to the used as Power Folding motor is building-in the mounting mechanism and can’t be taken out. That means I have to use the Wire loom inside the Mirror, that have provision for Power folding but NOT for the 360 Camera

Unfortunately it took me one day and taking apart the driver door and the mirrors to find all this, but at this point at was committed, so I decided to march forward

Here is the plan:
  • Using the Power Folding Mirror shell (x2):
  • Transfer the lower shell with the camera
  • Add new wire of the Camera (4 wires) out of the Power Folding Mirror, using the stock routing path.
  • Cut the Power Folding Control wires (2 wires) from the Power Folding Mirror connector to directly connect them to our wire loom. (Yes, we have to cut them out of the connector, not to mess with the camera video signals)
    [*]Adding a full independent wire loom for the Power Folding mirrors:
  • From the S146 Driver Door Switch to the Driver side Power Folding Mirror (the 2 wires we cut out of the connector)
  • Route a 2 wire harness from the driver door to the passenger door. (fun!)
  • Connect the wire harness to the Passenger side Power Folding Mirror (the 2 wires we cut out of the connector)
    [*]Some challenges:
  • Routing the Camera wires out of the Mirror (there is very small opening and its location is very inconvenient)
  • Routing the Power Mirror loom through the doors (there is a connector that we can’t use, but there is a small hole at the bottom of the connector inside the rubber boot...)
  • Making sure all the wires are secure inside the door and going around the glass with lowered windows
  • Routing through the lower dash, it is not too hard, just very inconvenient.
Easy(-ish)!

So I got it all done and working, it took me around 16 hours in 3 days, Power Folding Mirror AND 360 Camera are working, even if GM say it will not happen! Press the button on the door, the Mirrors folds in, press again they fold out. One of the funny side effect is that 360 camera system is not aware of the folding mirrors, so it doesn’t black out like when opening a door, leading to a distorted 360 view.

Video in action:
https://youtu.be/AiB4CsnWak4

While I had the door cards removed, I took the time to add some Dynamat in the front doors, they now sound very nice and heavy and there is definitely a difference between the front doors (with Dynamat) and the rear doors (without)

I was planning a full DIY tutorial but I dropped the idea when it became clear that was NOT a forum-friendly DIY, I took some pictures, but far less than needed to get a sense of the scale and work.
If someone is interested in doing this mod, please contact me via PM and we will talk on the phone, I do not have the patience to write a detailed how to, given the complexity and length.

Next project: using this physical button to quickly summon the 360 Camera while driving!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Nice job! Was it worth it? I guess it does illustrate that some Opel parts are available to us.

·
Registered
624 Posts
holy crap, you're a madman... that is some impressive work. now you just need to make it automatic, so they fold when you turn off the car.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Wow that's some serious crazy. I wish they gave those to us as part of premier already. My garage door is narrow and it would be a nice option.

What I like even more is the Dynamat on the doors, being aluminum they are a little lightweight.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Next project: using this physical button to quickly summon the 360 Camera while driving!
Don't how you'll do this since AFAIK it's a pure software controlled option. Give us a sneak peak, do you know of a physical pin somewhere that has a interrupt to bring that up?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Don't how you'll do this since AFAIK it's a pure software controlled option. Give us a sneak peak, do you know of a physical pin somewhere that has a interrupt to bring that up?
I have not looked into the details yet as my 24 hours subscription is expired.

I assume (!) that there must be a "Reverse" signal going into the Entertainment/Nav to tell the system when to show the rear view camera screen. This is usually how it works on other cars (Lexus, Honda, Mercedes).
There may also be a "Drive" signal, but it doesn't have to be, as the system can show the front camera, after the "Reverse" signal come off, then back to normal when the car speed is over a threshold
There should be a "Speed" signal, mostly a On/OFF logic signal when over a set speed, but also potentially a continuous sensor output.

What "Reverse" signal level the Nav is expecting? This can be found in the service manual or with multi-meter or scope.
How is that parking switch wired internally, again the service manual can help, as well as opening the switch and poking around with multi-meter or scope.
Maybe we can use the switch as-is or we'll have to make a circuit to provides to right signal level when pressed (a few resistors and maybe a couple of diodes)
Maybe we can also fake the speed signal to enable the Font and Rear cameras at speed?

I will spend the $10 to learn more in a few days, kinda busy this weekend.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I assume (!) that there must be a "Reverse" signal going into the Entertainment/Nav to tell the system when to show the rear view camera screen.
While there may well be such a signal, it seems more likely to me that it's delivered via a bus protocol packet from a different module rather than as a discrete wire. That would make it awfully difficult to trigger.

But if you figure out a way to do it you'll be my hero! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
:xGreat stuff. You're the rare exception, able to visualize, research, and accomplish. Thanks for the possibilities.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While there may well be such a signal, it seems more likely to me that it's delivered via a bus protocol packet from a different module rather than as a discrete wire. That would make it awfully difficult to trigger.

But if you figure out a way to do it you'll be my hero! :D
You are right there is no reverse signal, it's all on the canbus. :crying:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any instructions on removing the door cards? I'd love to dynamat the doors.
I do not have kept a printout, but it is basically the same as all cars I ever worked on since the 2000's:

-1: Lower the window
-2: There 3 screws:
-2a: One behind the white plastic trim, it pop easy starting with the edge closest to the door hinges
-2b: One behind the plastic cover in the door handle cup.
-2c: One behind the round plug in the door handle
-2: Pop out the clips along the bottom edge of the door (I used a metal prying tool wrapped in electrical tape, as my plastic prying tools were too short and too weak)
-3: Move up pop out the clips along the left and right edge of the door.
-4: Disconnect accessible connectors
-5: The door is held at the top with some metal clips that slide into slots in the door frame, dislodging theses requires some persuasion. Hold the top of the door card with both hands on the left and right and pull up at a slight angle to clear the plastic clips from earlier.
-6: Again this is the hard part, some strength application, some wiggling maybe a bit of cursing can help too.
-7: Once the card is free disconnect the last connector.
-8: Check the door card clips before reassembly
-9: Re assembly is the same in reverse, again, the hard part is the get the top of the door card to slide in the metal slots, with the windows down, I found that pushing it with one hand and banging on it with the other was the best way to get it in.

Have fun

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That was some serious work you did! Thanks for sharing the experience and (especially) the final video of the mirrors in-action. I'm half curious to see if a local aftermarket shop will do the work and how much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have hooked up switches on several cars to enable operation of the back-up camera while driving down the interstate. This helps in keeping up what traffic is doing behind you or with what may be going on with a trailer. Doing so on other cars has involved the installation of a dual throw dual pole relay and wiring it such that the switch activates the relay, one pole giving power to the car side of the back-up lights while the other pole disconnects the back-up lights themselves. Both back-up lights have to be fed by the same wire for this to work. I plan on doing the same on the Bolt but it may take a while to do so. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would love if they made a GM LOCKPICK for the Bolt. I had one on my previous car and it allowed many cool features, including having the camera's on while driving.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have hooked up switches on several cars to enable operation of the back-up camera while driving down the interstate. This helps in keeping up what traffic is doing behind you or with what may be going on with a trailer. Doing so on other cars has involved the installation of a dual throw dual pole relay and wiring it such that the switch activates the relay, one pole giving power to the car side of the back-up lights while the other pole disconnects the back-up lights themselves. Both back-up lights have to be fed by the same wire for this to work. I plan on doing the same on the Bolt but it may take a while to do so. Hope this helps.
The Premier trim has that feature. It's called digital rear view mirror.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Premier trim has that feature. It's called digital rear view mirror.
Yes, I realize that and thought about leaving well enough alone, however, the modification is fairly easy to do and may trigger the surround view as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TL;DR: Retrofitted the EU/KR Power Folding Mirrors to a US Bolt EV Premier with 360 Camera: I did it but it is a h3ll lot of work, I can’t recommend it.

Ever since I discovered that the Opel Ampera E have an option for Power Folding Mirrors I though about a possible retrofit, a few weeks ago I realised that the online vendors like GMPartsDirect.com are listing and selling the parts required to do it, so a quick research lead to realization that there is not a Mirror assembly with both the 360 Camera and the Power Folding, looking at the repairprocedures.com information, (cost me $10 for 24 hours) I find out that the lower portion of the mirror, where the camera attach, is a separate part that can be swapped.
So I took the plunge and I ordered:
  • Window Switch (#23326290) @$46.88
  • Mirror Assembly, LEFT (#42553510) @$163.90
  • Mirror Assembly, RIGHT (42553500) @$163.90
Everything came nicely packaged, first surprise was that the writing on the Mirror (Objects in mirror are closer than they appear) are in Korean and that the driver side glass is convex. After checking everything I started working on the swap.

It became clear that it was not going to work out of the box:
  • The S146 Window/Outside Rearview Mirror Switch - Driver doesn’t have the pins for the Power Folding wires (pins 12 and 22)
  • The X510 Driver Outside Rearview Mirror Harness to Driver Door Harness is actually sharing the wires between the Camera (pins 9, 10, 11 and 12) and the Power Folding Control lines (pins 9 and 10) making theses two features incompatible with each other with the OEM wiring harness.
  • The same is true with X610 Passenger Outside Rearview Mirror Harness to Passenger Door Harness on the passenger side
  • That mean that the whole wiring harness for the Power Folding Mirror (2 wires) from the Driver door to the Passenger door is also missing.
  • The Power Folding Mirror shell will have to the used as Power Folding motor is building-in the mounting mechanism and can’t be taken out. That means I have to use the Wire loom inside the Mirror, that have provision for Power folding but NOT for the 360 Camera

Unfortunately it took me one day and taking apart the driver door and the mirrors to find all this, but at this point at was committed, so I decided to march forward

Here is the plan:
  • Using the Power Folding Mirror shell (x2):
  • Transfer the lower shell with the camera
  • Add new wire of the Camera (4 wires) out of the Power Folding Mirror, using the stock routing path.
  • Cut the Power Folding Control wires (2 wires) from the Power Folding Mirror connector to directly connect them to our wire loom. (Yes, we have to cut them out of the connector, not to mess with the camera video signals)
    [*]Adding a full independent wire loom for the Power Folding mirrors:
  • From the S146 Driver Door Switch to the Driver side Power Folding Mirror (the 2 wires we cut out of the connector)
  • Route a 2 wire harness from the driver door to the passenger door. (fun!)
  • Connect the wire harness to the Passenger side Power Folding Mirror (the 2 wires we cut out of the connector)
    [*]Some challenges:
  • Routing the Camera wires out of the Mirror (there is very small opening and its location is very inconvenient)
  • Routing the Power Mirror loom through the doors (there is a connector that we can’t use, but there is a small hole at the bottom of the connector inside the rubber boot...)
  • Making sure all the wires are secure inside the door and going around the glass with lowered windows
  • Routing through the lower dash, it is not too hard, just very inconvenient.
Easy(-ish)!

So I got it all done and working, it took me around 16 hours in 3 days, Power Folding Mirror AND 360 Camera are working, even if GM say it will not happen! Press the button on the door, the Mirrors folds in, press again they fold out. One of the funny side effect is that 360 camera system is not aware of the folding mirrors, so it doesn’t black out like when opening a door, leading to a distorted 360 view.

Video in action:

While I had the door cards removed, I took the time to add some Dynamat in the front doors, they now sound very nice and heavy and there is definitely a difference between the front doors (with Dynamat) and the rear doors (without)

I was planning a full DIY tutorial but I dropped the idea when it became clear that was NOT a forum-friendly DIY, I took some pictures, but far less than needed to get a sense of the scale and work.
If someone is interested in doing this mod, please contact me via PM and we will talk on the phone, I do not have the patience to write a detailed how to, given the complexity and length.

This is amazing!

Do you happen to have the part numbers just for the convex/aspherical glasses (w/ the brakets) of the European version featuring the blind spot indicator ?

The DOT flat mirrors are plain to dangerous IMHO, huuuge blind spot...

BTW, how hard is it to pull the glass out of the assembly? Any advice

Best regards

Gauer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts