Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2020 Bolt and thinking of making a road trip down to Crater Lake later this summer. I’m coming from the north so I was looking at spending the night in either Eugene or Roseburg and getting a full charge, then driving the rest of the way to Mazama Village at Crater Lake which has a charging station.

Eugene to Mazama Village is about 148 miles with a net elevation gain of 5,500 feet. Roseburg to Mazama Village is about 108 miles, also with a net elevation gain of 5,500 feet. According to PlugShare, there are no charging stations along either route until you reach Mazama Village.

What do folks think — are either of these drives doable in the 2020 Bolt, given the elevation gain and the fact that it’ll be highway driving with probably not much regen braking? Or should I play it safe and bring my Volt instead, even though it means burning some gas?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm... I pulled up Roseburg to Crater Lake in Google Maps and turned on Terrain (then toggled to walking directions to get the elevation profile) according to that map it's 98.5 miles with 7,854 ft of gain, 1,421 ft of drop.

Best I've done is drove from my house at 500ft, climbed 3,600 ft, descended 800ft, climbed back up 800ft, where I had used 18.3 kWh to go 58 miles at 60 mph (set cruise control). Then I continued up another to 2,100ft at 40-50 mph and then back down via an alternate route at 40-50mph to my home having traveled 137.9 miles using 32.6 kWh of battery. So... using my back of the envelop math

If we take the highway uphill part of my drive which is 18.3 kWh to go 58 miles, climbing 4,400 ft, with 800 ft of decent at 60mph... Multiply that by 2...
You could (potentially) use 36.6 kWh to go 116 miles, climbing 8,800 ft with 1,600 ft of descent at 60mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks for sharing your experience with mountainous highway driving in the Bolt. :) It sounds like Roseburg to Crater Lake would be comfortably doable, but Eugene to Crater Lake might be cutting it close. Given there appear to be absolutely no charging stations between Eugene and Crater Lake, I would rather play it safe and choose the Roseburg route even though it's about 30 minutes longer.

Another possibility would be coming down through Bend, OR. There seem to be a lot more chargers along that route, so there's more of a safety net.

·
Registered
31 Posts
403422D7-9C18-4DE0-80B3-166F9996F1E5.png
ABRP thinks it’s doable. I’ve found their estimates to be conservative in my mountain driving in Colorado so assuming you can charge at your destination I wouldn’t be scared to charge to 100% and do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As an added bonus, Bend is a really cool town.

Another possibility would be coming down through Bend, OR. There seem to be a lot more chargers along that route, so there's more of a safety net.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, nice! I'd never heard of ABRP before. This is cool, thanks for sharing!

I will say that a projection of arriving with 13% charge (or 23% if I start from a 100% charge level) feels a little scary to me. That doesn't afford much margin for error -- for example, if it happens to be a windy day and I'm driving into a headwind, that could easily result in running out of battery and getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. At this point I'm inclined to go through Roseburg or Bend, just to be on the safe side.

View attachment 29770 View attachment 29770 ABRP thinks it’s doable. I’ve found their estimates to be conservative in my mountain driving in Colorado so assuming you can charge at your destination I wouldn’t be scared to charge to 100% and do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is just my experience and I usually drive right around the speed limit, but ABRP is conservative enough that I've always arrived with a greater buffer than projected, usually 5-10% more. Some people will also keep an eye on the GOM and slow down if its projection is too close to the remaining distance. (and sometimes speed up if they're comfortable with the buffer they have)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts