Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my daughter a 2022 EUV a month ago (and traded in the 2017 BoltEV handmedown from her mum because of you know what and my daughter loves the EUV so, now, we are going to wait for new batteries and not try a buyback).

That said, she hated the cheese grater wheels on the loaded LT so did a little project this weekend and BOOM a whole new look. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but there is very happy 22 year old college student showing her wheels off to friends right now!

Before

After

Process:
Took off each wheel and removed the 5 blades held in by 3 torx blunt end screws. Sanded, primed, sanded, coated, sanded, topcoated, sanded, clear coated. 20 bucks in spray cans from the local hardware store.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,417 Posts
Do they really have plastic pieces that bolt into an alloy wheel. That seems like an awful lot of expense vs just casting the wheel with that look to begin with. I know Tesla has those ugly aero wheel covers over a nice looking wheel, but at least those covers are actually functional.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,548 Posts
Do they really have plastic pieces that bolt into an alloy wheel. That seems like an awful lot of expense vs just casting the wheel with that look to begin with. I know Tesla has those ugly aero wheel covers over a nice looking wheel, but at least those covers are actually functional.
Honda did the same thing with the wheels on the Clarity.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would rather make them all silver. Black makes them look small... and the car looks too big for them because of that.

Black might be more "aggressive", though.

Just a side note - I hope the paint has a couple of layers as wheels have a tendency to chip a lot.

Reactions: RockysBoltEUV

·
Registered
941 Posts
Looks nice, but why embed plastic pieces like that? Are they saving material (or costly finishing process) underneath? What does it look like without these pieces in place?

And the screw heads are on the backside? Is what they’re bolted to very thin?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought my daughter a 2022 EUV a month ago (and traded in the 2017 BoltEV handmedown from her mum because of you know what and my daughter loves the EUV so, now, we are going to wait for new batteries and not try a buyback).

That said, she hated the cheese grater wheels on the loaded LT so did a little project this weekend and BOOM a whole new look. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but there is very happy 22 year old college student showing her wheels off to friends right now!

View attachment 37565
Before

View attachment 37566
After

View attachment 37567

Process:
Took off each wheel and removed the 5 blades held in by 3 torx blunt end screws. Sanded, primed, sanded, coated, sanded, topcoated, sanded, clear coated. 20 bucks in spray cans from the local hardware store.

View attachment 37568
View attachment 37569

What do y'all think?
Looks great good job

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

To answer some of the questions:
The plastic pieces are injected molded parts (stamped Made in China).
The rest is a cast metal and painted wheel (origins not stamped anywhere we could find).
The wheels, unlike the Model 3 and Y base wheels, do not look good without the 5 plastic inserts.
There are multiple screw mounts on the spokes and it screams 'Parts are missing'.
They may look smaller in the pics, but in real life, the wheels now kind of blend with the black fender cladding and actually look bigger.

There are screw stand-offs on the back side.

·
Registered
2022 EUV LT
52 Posts
If you get bored, buzz on over to Ocean Shores and fix up mine please… :)

·
Registered
22 Posts

View attachment 37565
Before

View attachment 37566
After

View attachment 37567

Process:

View attachment 37568
View attachment 37569

What do y'all think?
I think you are a wonderful father.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts