Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

EUV LT Wheel Improvements

12K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  alben 
#1 ·
Bought my daughter a 2022 EUV a month ago (and traded in the 2017 BoltEV handmedown from her mum because of you know what and my daughter loves the EUV so, now, we are going to wait for new batteries and not try a buyback).

That said, she hated the cheese grater wheels on the loaded LT so did a little project this weekend and BOOM a whole new look. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but there is very happy 22 year old college student showing her wheels off to friends right now!

Before

After

Process:
Took off each wheel and removed the 5 blades held in by 3 torx blunt end screws. Sanded, primed, sanded, coated, sanded, topcoated, sanded, clear coated. 20 bucks in spray cans from the local hardware store.

What do y'all think?

See less See more
#4 ·
Do they really have plastic pieces that bolt into an alloy wheel. That seems like an awful lot of expense vs just casting the wheel with that look to begin with. I know Tesla has those ugly aero wheel covers over a nice looking wheel, but at least those covers are actually functional.

#8 ·
I would rather make them all silver. Black makes them look small... and the car looks too big for them because of that.

Black might be more "aggressive", though.

Just a side note - I hope the paint has a couple of layers as wheels have a tendency to chip a lot.

Reactions: RockysBoltEUV
#11 ·
Bought my daughter a 2022 EUV a month ago (and traded in the 2017 BoltEV handmedown from her mum because of you know what and my daughter loves the EUV so, now, we are going to wait for new batteries and not try a buyback).

That said, she hated the cheese grater wheels on the loaded LT so did a little project this weekend and BOOM a whole new look. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but there is very happy 22 year old college student showing her wheels off to friends right now!

View attachment 37565
Before

View attachment 37566
After

View attachment 37567

Process:
Took off each wheel and removed the 5 blades held in by 3 torx blunt end screws. Sanded, primed, sanded, coated, sanded, topcoated, sanded, clear coated. 20 bucks in spray cans from the local hardware store.

View attachment 37568
View attachment 37569

What do y'all think?
Looks great good job

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

To answer some of the questions:
The plastic pieces are injected molded parts (stamped Made in China).
The rest is a cast metal and painted wheel (origins not stamped anywhere we could find).
The wheels, unlike the Model 3 and Y base wheels, do not look good without the 5 plastic inserts.
There are multiple screw mounts on the spokes and it screams 'Parts are missing'.
They may look smaller in the pics, but in real life, the wheels now kind of blend with the black fender cladding and actually look bigger.

There are screw stand-offs on the back side.

#19 ·

View attachment 37565
Before

View attachment 37566
After

View attachment 37567

Process:

View attachment 37568
View attachment 37569

What do y'all think?
I think you are a wonderful father.

#30 ·
Agree the blacked out rims looks better on most of the colors but with the light color on ours we will be keeping them stick for now. I think it gives it a more EV feeling. Kinda like the rims on the I3 we had View attachment 49865

View attachment 49866
If I had a silver EUV I probably would have stuck with the silver inserts. They just clashed with the ghost gray IMO. Silver was actually my first color choice for the car, but I found a ghost gray I couldn't pass up.

#31 ·
If I had a silver EUV I probably would have stuck with the silver inserts. They just clashed with the ghost gray IMO. Silver was actually my first color choice for the car, but I found a ghost gray I couldn't pass up.
Hello There,
As fate would have it someone totaled our Silver EUV and we ended up replacing it with a ghost grey one. I agree the silver inserts need to go so I got a set of the black ones. The instructions mention use of thread locking compound? Has anyone noticed any issues with removing the silver ones? Anyone actually torque them per the specs in the instructions?
Our silver EUV was totaled and replaced with a grey ghost EUV. So I am in the process of replacing the silver wheel inserts with black one. Did anyone use any thread lock compound noted in the installation instructions? Did you torque the to specs noted in the instructions?