Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We filed our 2019 IRS tax return in March, claiming credit for our purchase of a new Bolt EV in March 2019 (just before the quota was reached and the credit disappeared) with proper documentation. We expect a nice refund, but nothing yet and no info online about status. Anyone else having this experience?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I filed in very early March and just last week got our refund. I was not claiming the credit this year so no idea on that credits impact. I concluded that everything just came to a halt with the big pandemic situation and COVID stimulus project.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Anyone else having this experience?
I filed in February and got my return via direct deposit in six days. Was my biggest return ever as I was claiming a tax credit from my geothermal system install. So my biggest return with the shortest wait time ever. Was not expecting that.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Similar to XJ12's post. Mine was a bit more complex than a basic return, with K-1s and rentals, but done via TurboTax and was electronically submitted (in late Feb.) and had a direct deposited refund about two weeks later. I've learned that the trick for quicker responses is to stay far-far away from an April 15th submission...July 15th, this year. With staff gutted by COVID-19 in March, I can understand the delays.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I filed Jan 3 with TT,it was accepted on Jan 13 and I received my refund on Feb 14,far longer than usual. The credit I expect to receive next year for my Bolt will be less than $10.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I filed in February and got my return via direct deposit in six days. Was my biggest return ever as I was claiming a tax credit from my geothermal system install. So my biggest return with the shortest wait time ever. Was not expecting that.
Would love to hear more about the geo thermal and how it is working out. Was thinking of doing the same thing here in Texas, but the drilling makes it cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
drilling makes it cost prohibitive.
I went with a horizontal loop field (which is cheaper than drilling), but one could argue that it's still expensive. But my state had a 30% tax credit up to $9K with the federal at 30%. Also got a $700 rebate per heat pump (installed two) from the electric company. That ended up paying for half the system so it was like buying one Bolt LT in the end. Had my largest ever electric bill ($300) in January for heating the house. But is cheaper than the propane that I previously needed. There's no way the system will be cheaper to run then my evaporative coolers (but will perform better in the monsoon season). But if I now go solar, the electric use may not matter at all. Summer or winter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
XJ12, I hope you know the federal solar tax credit is being phased out. This year, 2020, it is 26% and next year is 22%. Then for residential it goes to 0%. :censored: Commercial will be 10%. So if you want solar, it may be good to go for it this year. I just finished having mine installed and looking forward to almost no electric bill this summer.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
XJ12, I hope you know the federal solar tax credit is being phased out. This year, 2020, it is 26% and next year is 22%. Then for residential it goes to 0%. :censored: Commercial will be 10%. So if you want solar, it may be good to go for it this year. I just finished having mine installed and looking forward to almost no electric bill this summer.
Yes, I'm aware of the phase out. That's why I'm looking into it now. Figuring how to pull it off this year or next. The geothermal is also being phased out. Installed last year I got the full 30%. Although, I would not be surprised if solar mysteriously was cheaper after the phase out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Your EV is not delaying your refund. The IRS is utterly snowed under trying to deal with the COVID insanity. My taxes were filed on March 7th (the day I picked up my Bolt, coincidentally), and I just got my refund last week. And my Bolt is leased, so I don't get the EV credit.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Did you guys filing paper or e-file?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts