Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Great presentation ! On the subject, direct, with charts even an idiot can understand.
And yes, I didn’t buy my Bolt EV for "green" motives, but for the "economics" of it. Especially in the case of those people who drive 100-150 miles a day, an EV is unbeatable and a Bolt EV is the king. The efficiency, the low maintenance cost and reliability + the purchase cost is what makes the Bolt EV shine.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
All true, but the value of an EVSE installation isn't much to me since I know how to run a circuit and it would be simple in my garage. It's worth the cost of the EVSE to me, plus about $70 in materials. I'd probably still take advantage of the offer.

I can expense charging at DCFC when on a business trip, so that's not a big deal. Currently I get personal use of the car and they pay for the fuel, which is what I would be losing.

That said, I'm highly inclined toward an EV, especially since I have solar to offset my electricity usage.
Here in Québec, it is required that the electrical work to be carried out by an electrical contractor licensed by Régie du Bâtiment du Québec. You can't do it by yourself. And this comes with a price, sometimes a large one.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Installed a 14-50r at my previous house to code, but without permission. Let's hear all those comments about insurance denying the claim now.
I think most play by the rules to avoid the back&forth with insurance companies. It's time and money thrown through the window.
Unless the installation that you put in place is not according to the code, then you are on the hook. Not before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts