Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
9.3 cents per kWh is amazing. Mine in Massachusetts is about 3 times that and going up if the utility gets its way.
Our rate is 7.86 cents and has been for many years. I haven't heard anything but I expect it will be rising soon. Gas is ~$4.50.

When I bought the Bolt I calculated its fueling cost as being less than half of our Prius with gas price then being about $3, the Prius averaging 47mpg and the Bolt 3.3mpkWh (~2.4 vs 6.4 cents per mile). When we go on trips, and charge at EA, it's ~ 10 cents depending on how much you use given the monthly fee. In reality though, like Gene, we've gotten quite a bit of free or cheaper level 2 power on trips and three times we've gotten free charges at EA, so with these gas prices, fueling costs is about the same or even less for the Bolt, even on trips
Your results may vary.

FWIW, for the first couple of years the Bolt was for sale, the dealers were able to hold out for MSRP, so with the tax credit, ours was around $35,000 OTD. We knew we wanted an EV and did the math six ways from Sunday and payback was just never there.

The equivalent Honda Civic was available for from $5,000 - $10,000 less OTD. Being retired, driving only 5,000 miles a year, the difference in OTD would power and maintain the Honda past our natural driving lifetime.

We bought the Bolt anyway and have not regretted the additional cost.

jack vines
The more you drive, the more the fuel and oil change savings impact on your calculations relative to financing. Also as you drive more, the overall cost rises and rises in importance. For many years my wife and I drove more than 60,000 miles every year between the two of us and we had to pay close attention to vehicle operating costs as well as financing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think most play by the rules to avoid the back&forth with insurance companies. It's time and money thrown through the window.
Unless the installation that you put in place is not according to the code, then you are on the hook. Not before.
If you don't tell your utility then they don't have any liability and they're happy as clams. On several occasions I've discussed with the engineering dept. of our electric coop about ways I might accomplish a task like improving the voltage at an elevator, but I never tell them what I'm going to do or even that I'm going to do anything. We just talk about issues. The coop asked me to charge the Bolt between 9pm and 5am because they pay less during those hours, and I do that even though I pay the same regardless. Cooperation is a two way street.

By the way, if you don't thoroughly understand what you're doing, and have experience, then hire an electrician.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm on the hook for not getting a permit, whatever that is. Nobody is inspecting my house though, so not a problem.

I don't even know how anyone would know what was permitted and what wasn't. Is there a record of every circuit installed in my home?
There's no record of individual circuits. Lots of people add circuits on their own. When I lived in Kennewick I added a circuit to run a new heat pump. Since I had a contractor install the heat pump, an inspector from the city came to inspect the installation but didn't pay any attention to the wiring.

In Kennewick there's a law that you need to get a permit to replace a water heater. Needless to say, vast numbers of people install their water heaters in blissful ignorance of the law. The only reason I know about the law is that there was a fight on the city council and one of the antagonists turned in another for violating the law and it came out that no one had ever been fined for violating that law.

We don't live in China. Nobody's running around making sure that every law is followed just for the sake of following law. Contractors or unions might get some laws passed to help business but mostly it's about liability if something goes wrong. Contractors have to be inspected because they have an incentive to cut corners and don't suffer the consequences if there's a problem. Homeowners have plenty of incentive to do what's right without laws.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Never been there and will never go there. I just have the sense that the governments there harass people for no reason, and for nefarious reasons. Here, even in the People's Republic of Washington State, the principal is to leave people alone, especially in their homes, unless there is a **** good reason. It's part of our culture, thank god.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts