Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
849 Posts
VW is the only manufacturer I know that has issues with certain oils.

All other manufacturers allow conventional motor oil that meets whatever certification specified.
I believe GM specifies Dexos approved oil on 2011 and newer vehicles. At a minimum they are semi synthetic too. I've never seen or heard of a conventional oil that was Dexos approved. The OLM is likely calibrated on the assumption that Dexos is being used.

I've always used Dexos approved Mobil 1 in my 2011 Cruze, and still do my own changes as I have for nearly 50 years. My late Volt only had two oil changes, both done by the dealer, since they were "complimentary". I expect they used Dexos oil too.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may protect one from denial of warranty claims if a failure occurs and Dexos wasn't being used. However, it may be a hassle, easily avoided by spending the marginal extra cost of approved Dexos oil.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I use synthetic too since as you say, the marginal cost isn't much. I buy it in bulk when on super sale; usually Mobile 1, but I'll use any synthetic. Since I only change once per year, I like an oil that maintains its properties for longer.

I used to send in oil samples for analysis to Blackstone, just because I was curious and I wanted to provide a datapoint for curious internet lurkers. They always said I could put more miles on the oil, even at 13,000 miles between changes.
I've read results of people like yourself that have sent in samples. Mostly on "Bob is the Oil Guy", and agree, once per year is fine on synthetic. That's about what the OLM on my Cruze indicates too.

I've probably been using Mobil 1 for about 40 years. I've never had an oil related failure. The Cruze is the last ICE vehicle I'll ever own though, so the days of buying Mobil 1 are numbered.

Reactions: redpoint5

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeah, I think my pure ICE days are over. At minimum, I'm going to want a plug-in hybrid.

There's a freeze on vehicle replacements at my company, and the Mazda CX-5 would normally be up for replacement being 4 years old. Supposedly there is a major change to the menu due this summer with an emphasis on hybrids and EVs. Will be interesting to see what's offered.

The company pays for all fuel though, so there's some disincentive to go EV since they don't reimburse any electricity. However, they do offer a 1-time $2k reimbursement for EVSE installation.
I've always liked the CX-5, coming from a 2001 Miata, and then 2006 Mazda 3. Sticks of course. The CX-5 is more sporting than the typical small "ute".

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nope. I converted a devoted circuit to 240 VAC and got a permit for 2 reasons. #1: It's an old house but has recent completely updated electric so my add-on would stand out as unpermitted work. #2: Experience. I find experience to be worth something and felt that the permit fee was worth it.

I did all my research. Installed the 240 VAC GFCI breaker. Properly marked the white wire red. Added junction boxes in the attic with properly marked wires. Ran individual wires in conduit (romex in conduit is common mistake). Used weatherproof outlet outside. I was kinda looking forward to showing the inspector that a DIY guy would do it correctly. Inspector showed up, looked at the outlet and looked at the front panel of the breaker box and signed off the permit. I was a little disappointed.
So basically you could have done the whole job with bell wire.😃

1 - 4 of 4 Posts