Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It's wintertime in Germany: More than two weeks of snow and temperature below <0°C (32F).
Some nights are f...... cold: temperature at night drops to -15°C (5F) or less.

Sitting on the sofa at home, watching the winter and snow thru the windows, some questions popped up:

- What is the range (m per kWh) 15°C (5F) in wife-mode driving conditions?
means: freezing and windy weather, but seat heating is at max level and the cabin temperature has to be 75F at least.

- What happens to a fully loaded battery if a bolt just stands in the open for some winter days and nights and is NOT plugged to electricity?
Will the temperature management system drain the battery capacity to heat the battery?

Best Regards from Germany (sorry for my poor English)

Fion A

PS: YES, I really really really want a Bolt (or Opel Ampera E), but there's the German Angst, right now less Reichweitenangst but more Winterangst.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Not sure what the range would be with the heat on full blast, but the car's thermal management system shouldn't use too much power or drain a full battery. It's more of an issue if the Bolt isn't driven or charged for a few days in frigid temperatures.

But it's just better to plug it in at the end of the day if you're going to drive the Bolt around with the heat on high, that's going to use up quite a bit of charge.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess we wouldn't want to leave the car in the cold, at say the long term airport parking, while we vacation in the warmer climate for very long. Hope someone can test this to give us a reasonable idea of the amount used per day to condition the battery, or how far will the battery be depleted over time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts