Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying my 2017 Bolt LT last July I was warned by my dealer that the registration would be costly. I didn't think much of it since registration here is in general not inexpensive and the money does fund some good programs. That being said I was shocked to learn that EV owners here have to 'chip in' more since we don't pay gas tax. This is complete BS!!! EVs should still be incentivized to encourage adoption. I was barely able to afford my used Bolt and now I have to pay nearly $720 a year to register it. :mad: The total EV charges are $225! How about taxing the fossil fuel companies to pay for this! Additionally we should, like in CA, be allowed in the HOV lanes. This is yet another way to boost EV sales by providing an incentive.

I am curious to know what other states are doing so please chime in, thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
When buying my 2017 Bolt LT last July I was warned by my dealer that the registration would be costly. I didn't think much of it since registration here is in general not inexpensive and the money does fund some good programs. That being said I was shocked to learn that EV owners here have to 'chip in' more since we don't pay gas tax. This is complete BS!!! EVs should still be incentivized to encourage adoption. I was barely able to afford my used Bolt and now I have to pay nearly $720 a year to register it. :mad: The total EV charges are $225! How about taxing the fossil fuel companies to pay for this! Additionally we should, like in CA, be allowed in the HOV lanes. This is yet another way to boost EV sales by providing an incentive.

Wisconsin has a $100 EV surcharge tacked onto annual registration in lieu of gas taxes not paid.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but states should move a registration model that's a function of mileage and GVWR. Just sticking a fixed surcharge onto EVs is just a workaround for a system that's already not balanced.

Gas taxes are already problematic as fleet MPG goes up, gas tax revenue goes down, and tying the rate to inflation doesn't make up for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It probably won't happen in my lifetime, but states should move a registration model that's a function of mileage and GVWR. Just sticking a fixed surcharge onto EVs is just a workaround for a system that's already not balanced.
We pay based on GVWR but it's a tiny fraction, for the Bolt it's $25. Agreed on mileage which, basically pay for usage which in many states are collected from tolls which I am not opposed to if they're reasonable. Every state should be taxing the **** out of gas guzzlers!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I forget exactly how much it is in CA, but if you compare it to an ICE that gets 30mpg while going 12,000 miles a year, EV owners are getting screwed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Roads aren’t free. It’s reasonable to charge something for their use.

A happy medium for me would be an EV road fee charge, but the money gets diverted to public transportation infrastructure.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
171 Posts
$50/YR in CO. But, we also pay a property tax based on MSRP, depreciated annually.

My take on things is, the Federal EV tax credit effectively encouraged car makers to inflate MSRP by at least $7500, knowing we would be willing to pay to get a fat tax refund check. I therefor paid about $160 more in year 1 than if I had purchased a vehicle with an MSRP close to the net price of my Bolt.

My Y1 reg fees were north of $900, but have dropped to just north of $500 and will continue to drop as long as I own the car.

I have no issue with the $50 fee, it goes towards EV charging infrastructure in the state. A portion may go to road funds as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts

$720/year? That must be mostly some kind of Puget Sound experience. Here in eastern WA, I have to pay the $225, which is $150 in lieu of road tax and $75 to subsidize charging infrastructure, but that's all there is except for $35 to register the vehicle. I have to pay the charging infrastructure subsidy to license my non-plug-in Prius, which I think I could complain about. I wonder if the government subsidies for charging infrastructure might be some explanation for it's extremely poor quality? Do they get their subsidy even if their chargers never actually work?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I forget exactly how much it is in CA, but if you compare it to an ICE that gets 30mpg while going 12,000 miles a year, EV owners are getting screwed.
I don't know what you pay in CA to register an EV, but your state gas taxes are 50.5 cents per gallon. That puts the tax revenue for the ICE car example you mentioned at $202.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never really understood why EV drivers think they should not pay to use the roads like everyone else does. In my personal opinion the Govt. should charge based on weight of car and miles driven per year and get rid of the gas tax.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
45 Posts
And I thought Washington lowered their registration fees a few years back. I remember in Oregon, having to pay double the registration fee when I bought my first Prius (2003). What an outrage there was at that. Currently (no pun intended) I pay the same as other cars do for my electrics. No road tax, but I wouldn't mind paying some if it were reasonably (fat chance) administered. I keep hearing rumblings of pay by mile schemes but I don't know how they will account for out-of-state mileage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never really understood why EV drivers think they should not pay to use the roads like everyone else does. In my personal opinion the Govt. should charge based on weight of car and miles driven per year and get rid of the gas tax.
Weight? Cars, SUV, MiniVans grouped together maybe, but the few hundred lbs difference between different models is too granular. Pickups and commercial vehicles, put in higher tiers due to common use being hauling stuff.

Miles? With COVID restrictions, there would be no revenue. Post COVID, many companies will embrace work from home. All that aside, how do you accurately capture miles? Many states, or parts of states have no inspections. It seems most who want mile based road use taxes are low mileage drivers.

I agree with eliminating gas taxes and assessing all cars the same fees. I think to start, they should go with a flat fee based on what a 25 MPG car 15K miles per year would be paying in gas taxes. Senior citizens, EVs (for states that choose to promote) and sub 5K miles per year, give a lower rate. For the sub-5K discount, bring your car into DMV to inspect the odometer. Too inconvenient? Pay the full price.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think that EV folks don't think they shouldn't pay. I think that EV folks think that they shouldn't have to overpay relative to comparable ICE.

And it's very unlikely that any state or federal government is going to want to get rid of the gas tax. It's one of those hidden taxes that tax entities love to charge because it's unseen. Trust me if ICE people started getting $250 registration fees a year, even though it matches the gas taxes they currently pay, folks will have a fit.

Gas taxes really tax efficiency. The more efficient your car is, the less taxes you pay. Both to incentivize EV use, and to continue to tax efficiency, the formula for collecting taxes from EVs should be based on the MPGe value of the vehicle. It measures the efficiency of the vehicle.

What I proposed in the past is to compute that tax per "gallon" based on the MPGe, then charge for a fixed number of miles well above the average. For example my 500e is 116 MPGe. Say the fixed mileage is 20,000 miles. So 20000/116 is 172 "gallons". Georgia has 31.6 cent/gallon tax along with the 18.4/gallon federal charging an even 50 cents/gallon. So the fee would be 172*0.50 = $86.

Why 20,000? It's well above the average milage of a passenger vehicle and doesn't require collection of information to compute. It someone really wanted to save the dollars, they could take the car in an get an authorized mileage check, which can then be used for the computation.

The way I see it, I pay. It's relatively fair. And it's less than half what Georgia is charging me now.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
GM's insistence of elevating MSRP does not help in keeping registration reasonable.

Reactions: ARob

·
Registered
171 Posts
GM's insistence of elevating MSRP does not help in keeping registration reasonable.
Agreed. I attribute it to a poorly designed tax incentive program. If credits went directly to car makers, MSRP would be lower. GM seems to be fine with selling Bolts for $8-10k below MSRP since incentives expired. In turn, registration, sales tax, and insurance would be less.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$720/year? That must be mostly some kind of Puget Sound experience. Here in eastern WA, I have to pay the $225, which is $150 in lieu of road tax and $75 to subsidize charging infrastructure, but that's all there is except for $35 to register the vehicle. I have to pay the charging infrastructure subsidy to license my non-plug-in Prius, which I think I could complain about. I wonder if the government subsidies for charging infrastructure might be some explanation for it's extremely poor quality? Do they get their subsidy even if their chargers never actually work?
It is, I should have said 'Greater Seattle Area'. There are 10 line items on the Title and Licensing details section! RTA is the biggest portion at $334.00.

I am happy to pay extra for EV infrastructure and for worthwhile projects like light rail, etc. however there are different ways to get the money, for example the new 99 tunnel has a toll so if you use it you pay and people are using it, same as the new 520 floating bridge.

My point that doesn't seem to be fully recognized is we need more incentives to increase the adoption of EVs. Once we hit a good saturation point then the incentives can be reduced and eventually eliminated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I proposed in the past is to compute that tax per "gallon" based on the MPGe, then charge for a fixed number of miles well above the average. For example my 500e is 116 MPGe. Say the fixed mileage is 20,000 miles. So 20000/116 is 172 "gallons". Georgia has 31.6 cent/gallon tax along with the 18.4/gallon federal charging an even 50 cents/gallon. So the fee would be 172*0.50 = $86
ga2500ev
That sounds fair to me!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Anyone else in states that do not have state taxes? I would imagine vehicle registration being quite pricey in those states. The gov't's gotta get the money somewhere...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here in Pennsylvania, we have the highest gasoline tax in the USA, .54.8 cents/gallon. There are no registration surcharges for EV's - just pay a relatively modest $36/ year, just like all other private passenger vehicles. The fast charging infrastructure is weak, and nearly inexistent in the western part of the stat;, but I had a Level 2 charger installed in my garage, so I can recharge from empty in about 9 hours Any long distance travel that I would take, would be through New Jersey and New York; both of which have a pretty good EV fast charging network. I am as happy as a pig in s**t !

1 - 20 of 67 Posts