Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
171 Posts
Take the public health savings of EVs (reduced pollution) and put those toward the roads and I'd posit we're net-contributing even without the surcharge.
And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"
Ooh, they only answer, "More! More! More!"

Politicians don't seem to work like that, take savings from A and use on B, never.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
On the flip side, since EV saves $10K in healthcare cost, we should get 1 free health insurance per EV. Biden can one-up Obama. ;)

Reactions: davioh2001

·
Registered
128 Posts
$50/YR in CO. But, we also pay a property tax based on MSRP, depreciated annually.

My take on things is, the Federal EV tax credit effectively encouraged car makers to inflate MSRP by at least $7500, knowing we would be willing to pay to get a fat tax refund check. I therefor paid about $160 more in year 1 than if I had purchased a vehicle with an MSRP close to the net price of my Bolt.

My Y1 reg fees were north of $900, but have dropped to just north of $500 and will continue to drop as long as I own the car.

I have no issue with the $50 fee, it goes towards EV charging infrastructure in the state. A portion may go to road funds as well.
We also pay state and local sales taxes on DC fast charging which can easily be more than the equivalent gas tax. This year, the Republicans introduced a bill in the state legislature that tacked an additional $120/year to the $50/year EV tax. The $120/year was indexed to inflation, so it would increase each year. $170/yr was far more than the state was collecting in gas tax from me when I primarily drove an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The fair thing, notwithstanding any societal benefits of EVs vs. ICEVs, would be to report your mileage each year when you register. Miles driven x weight of vehicle x some fixed constant (indexed to inflation) = registration fee. This would be the same formula for EVs and ICEVs. Then you get revenue from each user based on relative road wear and it would keep up with inflation so that the funding for roads would not diminish each year.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We also pay state and local sales taxes on DC fast charging which can easily be more than the equivalent gas tax. This year, the Republicans introduced a bill in the state legislature that tacked an additional $120/year to the $50/year EV tax. The $120/year was indexed to inflation, so it would increase each year. $170/yr was far more than the state was collecting in gas tax from me when I primarily drove an ICE vehicle.
But the city and state loses more than just the gas tax. With health benefits worth $10K, that's reduced earnings for hospitals and maybe $2500 in tax revenue for the city/state. ;p

61 - 67 of 67 Posts