Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
Holiday weekend.
Early afternoon.
Lot only about 1/3 full.
Lot has two L2 chargers.

Pulled into the lot and both EV spots were free, so I took a spot and hooked up. Went to a movie.
Came out and saw another Bolt in the 2nd slot and thought "Cool!!!".
Then noticed that they weren't charging :-(

What's it called when a BEV "ICE's" a spot?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Background:
Holiday weekend.
Early afternoon.
Lot only about 1/3 full.
Lot has two L2 chargers.

Pulled into the lot and both EV spots were free, so I took a spot and hooked up. Went to a movie.

Still called an Icehole.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Background:
Holiday weekend.
Early afternoon.
Lot only about 1/3 full.
Lot has two L2 chargers.

I've actually witnessed this phenomenon a few times at the mall in Annapolis, both times with Teslas occupying their designated destination chargers, so it didn't really affect me at all. I'm sure it ticked off other Tesla motorists, though.

Follow up questions:
1. Was the lot still 1/3 full when you came back from your movie?
2. Were the EV spots closer to the entrance?

At any rate, my response to your question is: inconsiderate.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up questions:
1. Was the lot still 1/3 full when you came back from your movie?
2. Were the EV spots closer to the entrance?.
To answer:
1. Yes. Lot was still mostly empty when I came back.
2. No. It's a county owned lot. And it's catty-corner to another county lot that is closer. The EV spots are actually farthest from the theater, and don't seem particularly convenient to anything really. The main road is to the west, and the movies are to the north. The EV spots are in the SE corner. But it's not a big lot.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is why the recommendation/expectation should be multiple parking spots for every charger head AND the spots should be mediocre to bad location wise so that it is undesirable to park there from a convenience perspective. Meaning, you should have to go out of your way to park so that you can charge. That reduces the phenomena greatly.

·
Registered
898 Posts
To answer:
1. Yes. Lot was still mostly empty when I came back.
2. No. It's a county owned lot. And it's catty-corner to another county lot that is closer. The EV spots are actually farthest from the theater, and don't seem particularly convenient to anything really. The main road is to the west, and the movies are to the north. The EV spots are in the SE corner. But it's not a big lot.
That's odd. In the aforementioned mall, the times I've witnessed the EV-parked-but-not-charging bit was when the mall was absolutely packed (during the holidays), and the EV spots were close to one of the mall entrances.

One hypothesis is that the other Bolt owner was previously charging, had already topped off, and replaced the charger to allow for an adjacent spot to be used for charging (?). But the argument against that is that it would've been more convenient to just move the car.

Yeah I'm stumped.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
... It's a county owned lot. And it's catty-corner to another county lot that is closer...
Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I sense a chance to improve my vocabulary...

I've never heard anyone use "catty-corner" before, only "kitty-corner" which to me means diagonally opposite across an intersection. Is that what you mean by "catty-corner", or does it mean something different, like "across one side only of an intersection"?

·
Registered
60 Posts
kitty/catty/caddy are all English bastardizations of the French quatre (“four”) prefixed to “corner.”
I wonder if the particular mangling is regional? Where I grew up in NE Indiana, it was definitely 'catty'. Where I now live in CO (it would seem populated with mostly transplants) I hear 'kitty' as the prevailing term.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Kitty vs. catty is definitely regional and is often included in the where are you from quizzes.
It's kitty in MN.
I'm unaware if there is a special term for across one street but not both, other than "across the street".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's odd. In the aforementioned mall, the times I've witnessed the EV-parked-but-not-charging bit was when the mall was absolutely packed (during the holidays), and the EV spots were close to one of the mall entrances.

One hypothesis is that the other Bolt owner was previously charging, had already topped off, and replaced the charger to allow for an adjacent spot to be used for charging (?). But the argument against that is that it would've been more convenient to just move the car.

Yeah I'm stumped.
I don't get it either. Here's the lot: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.399862,-76.6016111,147m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
You can get a better feel if you go to street view. And that's also probably representative of how full the lot was. There is a fence in front of the EV spaces. York Rd (to the left) is the commercial center, and the movies are to the upper right.

If they were done topping off - it would seem worse to have taken the trouble to unplug, but not move.
I was only there about 2 hours. It would seem weird for them to arrive after me, plug in, and then return to unplug, but not move - in less than 2 hours.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but I sense a chance to improve my vocabulary...

I've never heard anyone use "catty-corner" before, only "kitty-corner" which to me means diagonally opposite across an intersection. Is that what you mean by "catty-corner", or does it mean something different, like "across one side only of an intersection"?
Sean - as others noted, catty-corner = diagonally opposite.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I wonder if the particular mangling is regional? Where I grew up in NE Indiana, it was definitely 'catty'. Where I now live in CO (it would seem populated with mostly transplants) I hear 'kitty' as the prevailing term.
Yup. Regional differences are fascinating. What do you call a public drinking fountain, or a carbonated soft drink? I remember trying a site that had about three questions like that, and they could pinpoint where you grew up to within a county.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't get it either. Here's the lot: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.399862,-76.6016111,147m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
You can get a better feel if you go to street view. And that's also probably representative of how full the lot was. There is a fence in front of the EV spaces. York Rd (to the left) is the commercial center, and the movies are to the upper right.

If they were done topping off - it would seem worse to have taken the trouble to unplug, but not move.
I was only there about 2 hours. It would seem weird for them to arrive after me, plug in, and then return to unplug, but not move - in less than 2 hours.
One final stab at the situation: Perhaps this other Bolt was new to the public charging scene and assumed the lot's EVSE was free, and upon arrival, realized it was pay-per-use (or perhaps he/she didn't have a ChargePoint account yet), was disappointed and just left the car where it was. Maybe they were late to the movie (the same one you watched) and didn't want to move the vehicle. :D

At any rate, for whatever reason, it would've still been definitely annoying if another EV that actually needed the charge showed up and saw that situation in the lot.

·
Registered
579 Posts
At least once I've parked in an EV spot, attended to stacked up phone calls, messages before exiting vehicle, started to walk away from the car having forgotten to plug in. One day I'll finish committing the unpardonable sin. Given the geography of the situation described, I wonder if that's what happened?

·
Registered
579 Posts
http://www.popvssoda.com/

I'm a "pop" transplant living in soda country.
"Bag" vs. "sack." After setting foot in Pittsburgh for the first time I asked for a sack for my sandwiches. I thought the clerk was going to deck me; he heard "sack" and didn't hear the rest of my request. Turns out "sack" is more suggestive of one thing than another for folks in that region.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
http://www.popvssoda.com/

I'm a "pop" transplant living in soda country.
Born in soda, and bubbler country, before a bubbler was a water pipe.

http://whoonew.com/2013/03/why-a-bubbler/

I remember as a kid being on a car camping trip with my parents, up in Canada. We had set up camp for the night, and my parents were talking to a couple of rangers around a campfire. One told me how to get to the camp store, as I wanted a soda. I walked there, money in hand, only to be told they didn't have any soda, despite being visible up on the shelf. Being a self-conscious kid, I hung my head and walked back to camp. "They aren't very friendly." I said. I told them my story to peals of laughter. Turns out soda was reserved for club soda for mixed drinks. I wanted "pawp."

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Yup. Regional differences are fascinating. What do you call a public drinking fountain, or a carbonated soft drink? I remember trying a site that had about three questions like that, and they could pinpoint where you grew up to within a county.
I was quite bemused by the funny looks I got when traveling across the southern US a couple of years ago - I'd ask for an RV campsite close to the washroom. "You mean the laundry?" was one of the quizzical responses. I eventually learned to use the word "bathroom" instead, as if the reason was because I wanted to be able to take convenient baths...

·
Registered
373 Posts
"Bag" vs. "sack." After setting foot in Pittsburgh for the first time I asked for a sack for my sandwiches. I thought the clerk was going to deck me; he heard "sack" and didn't hear the rest of my request. Turns out "sack" is more suggestive of one thing than another for folks in that region.
I spent 4 years in Pittsburgh and I love the very unique Pittsburgh accent and vernacular. I'm not surprised that the clerk didn't like your use of the word "sack", at least he didn't call you a jagoff!

·
Registered
336 Posts
My own general theory is that whenever someone does something inconsiderate, they themselves are not annoyed when they come across the same behavior in others.

On another note, our local new Costco's parking lot is filled with a lot of dispersed stalls, reserved for "EV AND CAR POOL ONLY" which is pretty useless, since probably 80% of the cars shopping at Costco are carrying families.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts