Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

112mph? I rather think Bolt's 92mph is a good number with 75mph being the highest posted speed limit I've seen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anything over 100 mph crazy if you don't have the brakes, suspension and tires that can handle the rigors of triple digit speed (all the things the Bolt doesn't have) Also those speeds should generally be reserved for the track, except for rare circumstances. I've been at 120 once on a Honda sportbike, it was on a perfectly straight, dray and clean road in Arizona at 5 am. Other than getting a flat, I could have been killed by a crossing stray coyote, tumbleweed or possibly a large Gila monster! That was a long time ago in my youth!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
The Bolt speed restriction is a pain in the ass. The freeway in my area is usually doing about 85, average pace of traffic. It's nice to be able to maneuver and surge if need be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The freeway in my area is usually doing about 85, average pace of traffic.
That's unfortunate :| Where I live the max speed limit on i90 is 75, which is more than fast enough. I am nearly always in the right lane if there are three lanes, typically going 65-70. Anything over that and I see a significant loss of range, it's just not worth it.

I personally wouldn't feel safe driving much above 80 in the Bolt with the stock tires, same with taking fast tight turns. I do enjoy the occasional burst getting on the highway when some a$$hat is on my tail. I am still shocked how fast this this can get going moving!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of metro areas in the country where 80-85 is the norm on the freeway.
80-85 norm with 75 mph speed limit, right? Still below 92 mph, which you can consistently do just by flooring it on the Bolt. :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
80-85 norm with 75 mph speed limit, right? Still below 92 mph, which you can consistently do just by flooring it on the Bolt. :)
85 is the pace of traffic in my area, speed limit 70. The going rate always seems to be at least 10 over. It would be nice if the limit was higher than 92. Off hand, I am not sure what the speed rating on the tires are.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wasn't there a discussion in this forum where the speed limit of the Bolt might be a conscious decision to not over-stress the physical design limits of the motor and the gears, not that GM wants to cap the speed to an arbitrary level in the name of safety like Volvo?

Anyways, speed limit in expressways is either 100 km/h (62 mph) or 110 km/h (68 mph) in my country. I think the speeding drivers usually do about 120 to 130 (75 - 81 mph), so a 92 mph max is good enough for a quick overtake in most cases.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it is comical when people complain about a product that has a known limitation. The product is obviously not suited to their usage, but they buy it anyway.

Then they gripe about it.

The Bolt has a speed limiter set at 92 mph...since 2017. This is not a secret. If a person needs a car that can go faster than 92 mph, they should not buy a Bolt.

The Bolt is very peppy in "normal" traffic. It is a stealth hotrod, cuz nobody expects it to be so quick off the line. FUN to drive!

It is NOT a Autobahn/Expressway "highest speed" contender. If that is your regular driving environment, then you need a different car.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
80-85 would be the norm in LA (where I used to live) or the Bay Area (where I live now), but the traffic is incredibly-restricting. That keeps me far below even the Bolt’s limitations.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Only quirk about high speed in the Bolt is that it is a bit sensitive to crosswinds. IMO. On the local freeway I cruise 83-84 mph, and when the coast is clear I'll run a couple of miles at the limit. I paid a huge premium for this super efficient vehicle so I want some return on my investment.
How fast have I gone? 127 on the street (motorcycle), 151 on a track (pseudo Indy car).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
80-85 would be the norm in LA (where I used to live) or the Bay Area (where I live now), but the traffic is incredibly-restricting. That keeps me far below even the Bolt’s limitations.
Ironically I drove from LA to San Francisco last week and on the I-5, I was doing 83-85 and was getting passed quite regularly. Specifically, about once every 90 seconds.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
159 Posts
Ironically I drove from LA to San Francisco last week and on the I-5, I was doing 83-85 and was getting passed quite regularly. Specifically, about once every 90 seconds.
LOL, yeah, the wide open roads from LA to SF (and back) are nice. I used to do that every once in a while. But living in the SF area now, this traffic is brutal (not as bad as LA to me, but close) and within the area, I regularly top off at 40 or so.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My area is the same as ZZ says. Yes I'd like more speed "just in case" but imo its not griping to say so.. 93 works fine.

Well, it's not all that super efficient at those speeds...
Using dollars per mile as an efficienty metric it still is not bad. I pay what 6 cents per mile instead of 3? For the odd high speed blast to get it out of my system I'm ok with paying that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts