Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Any chatter about extending/growing the tax credits?
We will be lucky if we keep the credits. With the political climate in this country, the chances of extending/growing the tax credits is the same as me winning the lottery. Actually I would have a higher chance of winning the lottery.

However, individual states may try to fill in the gap. California was talking about giving a $10,000 rebate if the federal credit went away.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm going to have to buy a BEV every year to try to offset all the additional taxes I'll have to pay under this new tax bill. :|

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm going to have to buy a BEV every year to try to offset all the additional taxes I'll have to pay under this new tax bill. :|
This is fake news, Trump assures me of this ;) Unfortunately in California the rebates are limited to two per household for the EV credit. Not per year, but for the program.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
The tax credit is the result of government corruption. Not only is it a regressive tax policy that rewards the wealthy at the expense of future tax payers who must reconcile the National debt, but it also singles out a technology and industry to champion.

The role of government isn't to choose which technologies will be winners, but to secure the environment to allow citizens to prosper. If this means limiting certain emissions to some amount, then the law needs to set that limit, and allow industry to decide how it will innovate to meet that limit.

In other words, define the destination, not the route taken.

All that said, the credit needs to remain as it is since everyone has planned around it. Keep it, and allow it to phase out as originally intended.

Did the bill raise taxes for the wealthy? I suppose I should Google it, but I try to avoid political news.

Unfortunately in California the rebates are limited to two per household for the EV credit.
That really is bad fortune. :p

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The best subsidies recently have been for hybrid cars, solar panels, and EV's. I am not a fan of hydrogen fuel cells, the high speed rail in Cali, and I hated the ethanol mandates. However, making only mandates for industry to follow could be an extremely dangerous way about doing things. Some businesses will go bankrupt because of it and other companies like VW will just try to cheat their way around them. Hybrid cars are very affordable now because of the tax credits years back. I think that subsidy more than paid itself back.

I hate the tax credit the way it is designed. It helps the wealthy. My family is well off, but even with two adults with full time jobs I won't be able to receive the full credit. I am not complaining about this, but I know people who bought a Leaf and thought they were getting $7500 back and they only got $3000 when they did their taxes. You could say it is their fault for not knowing the tax code, but it is advertised by EV's that you get $7500 back.

I am not a fan of big government, but I was upset that this subsidy was going to go away. This subsidy is working, furthering technology, and has the chance to reduce pollution. The increased technology may even lead to electric semi's. In an area where I can drive 3 hours and go through many of the most polluted cities in the US I am wanting EV's to take off! I think one more year of subsidies will allow this and I can't wait to see as many Bolts driving down the road as Prius's.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Count yourself lucky that EVs were spared. Trump is getting ready to file a solar panel anti-dumping complaint against the Chinese. New tariffs will make new solar roofs unaffordable, on the pretext it will protect hard-working manufacturing employees. Just a coincidence it also helps Big Carbon.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The role of government isn't to choose which technologies will be winners, but to secure the environment to allow citizens to prosper.
The US government's massive subsidies of the fossil fuel industry are in opposition to both of those principles.

Government subsidizes a lot of things, usually because they are beholden to large campaign donors. I for one am glad to see them subsidizing something that seems to be in society's long term best interests for a change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts