Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty is my new 2020 Bolt LT. Finally got him all cleaned up and out to the end of the street against the Catalinas for some official portraits. Love me some Cayenne Orange! It absolutely suits the lines of the car. It's bright without being loud, and when I pull up to a light in Tucson, I'm not one of the 74 white vehicles you usually see. Couldn't be happier with him!

I wish I knew how to get that front plate mount off without screwing up the grille. Ideas welcome. It appears to be held on by aluminum rivets, which I assume made irreparable holes in the shiny black plastic grille. Thanks California and your stupid front plate requirement.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I can't call front license plate laws 'stupid' since the fact that I caught one on video is the only reason police were able to chase down and arrest a hit and run.

Beautiful car however. WITH the front plate on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was stationed at NSA at Ft. Meade, Maryland many years ago, an enthusiastic young Army MP out on routine patrol cruised around the NSA parking lots (which are ENORMOUS) writing tickets for every vehicle not displaying a front plate. Like several hundred of them. He was informed by his commander that not all states issue front plates :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
... I think if you are troubled by some states having front license plate laws for SAFETY and a lot of states deciding it isn't all that important, you have decided to live in EXACTLY the wrong state.

I mean, even my state, Texas, which otherwise scoffs at safety? Has a front license plate law.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay two things:

1. You choose the state you're going to live in based on whether they have a front license plate law or not? Seriously?

2. Show me the research that proves that having a front license plate is in ANY way "safer" or better in any way than not having one. Please quote statistics from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that supports your assertion.

Next?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Okay two things:

1. You choose the state you're going to live in based on whether they have a front license plate law or not? Seriously?

2. Show me the research that proves that having a front license plate is in ANY way "safer" or better in any way than not having one. Please quote statistics from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety that supports your assertion.

Next?
That Hit and Run I mentioned?

I WAS HIT.

If having a front license plate on a car bothers you, then a LOT of California law is going to bother you.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Finally a Bolt that is NOT that ugly oasis blue color. This color looks GORGEOUS!!!
Enjoy! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I wish I knew how to get that front plate mount off without screwing up the grille. Ideas welcome. It appears to be held on by aluminum rivets, which I assume made irreparable holes in the shiny black plastic grille.
drill out the pop rivets and cover the holes. check out this thread:

·
Registered
433 Posts
If I lived in Florida, I'd have a white vehicle too! Never understood why people get all black vehicles. Summer must be a hoot on your legs!
Because they're cool, for some folks. I had 1 in 50+ cars. That was plenty. Rental fleet white isn't for me. I get my windows tinted first thing. Love my Oasis Blue!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone tell me how the **** you drill out those soft metal rivets? As soon as a drill bit touches them all they do is spin in place. There's nothing to get hold of to hang on to them so they don't just spin. I'm not an engineer, but even I can see that the thing you're drilling has to be stationary if the drill bit is going to work. All I've done so far is make a mess.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Can someone tell me how the **** you drill out those soft metal rivets? As soon as a drill bit touches them all they do is spin in place. There's nothing to get hold of to hang on to them so they don't just spin. I'm not an engineer, but even I can see that the thing you're drilling has to be stationary if the drill bit is going to work. All I've done so far is make a mess.
If you can wedge some cardboard or sheets of paper between the license plate holder and the car, it will put some tension on the pop rivets and might help keep them stationary long enough to drill them out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rusty is my new 2020 Bolt LT.
You've done well. Excellent color choice.

I bought white for myself, black for my wife. Those are the "colors" with no extra charge. I could not see paying around $400 more for a place on the spectrum, since my goal was the best possible dollar deal. My previous cars have all been silver, another off-spectrum shade.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The two local dealers tried their best to sell me all the other colors they had on hand, but I really like the Cayenne Orange. Took some doing, but I found one!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts