Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
From the HybridCar linked article:
"It’s expected the new Leaf will be a 2017 model year and it could be revealed by the Washington DC Auto Show January 2016, or the 2016 New York International Auto Show in April, Baum ventured. And it could be on sale by around October 2016."

The Chevy Bolt EV will be on sale before October 2016, and take sales from potential Nissan customers. The only benefit that Nissan has now is that the first generation Leaf, as a BEV, will not wear down as much as an ICEV, so if anyone wants a cheap Nissan Leaf, some of the used models on sale are down to less than $10,000. It is now a good deal to buy a used Leaf (maybe its battery has lost charge capacity but that is another topic) which can give many extra years of additional transportation. If Nissan begins to announce the arrival of the second generation Leaf, then the prices of these used Leafs will fall even more. And if you live in a state where you get a subsidy for a BEV, then that makes the deals sweeter.

So if you want to buy a BEV, you have two options now: buy a new 2015 Leaf or buy a used Leaf for less. And by 2016 you have two more: buy a new Chevy Bolt EV or a new 2nd Gen Leaf.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How do you think the two vehicles will compare once they are both on the market? It seems to me that they will be fairly evenly matched. I think there is more buzz around the Bolt though. leaf kinda seems like yesterday's news. I'm gonna hold out for the 2016 models instead of getting one now. I think that difference in capability will be worth the wait and money.

·
Registered
639 Posts
How do you think the two vehicles will compare once they are both on the market? It seems to me that they will be fairly evenly matched. I think there is more buzz around the Bolt though. leaf kinda seems like yesterday's news. I'm gonna hold out for the 2016 models instead of getting one now. I think that difference in capability will be worth the wait and money.
IMO they will be a couple of the strongest contenders in the segment with tesla falling behind. Not sure what else might be in that segment but going of what Nissan and GM has built and established so far, it's easy to see how it plays out just like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, Tesla and GM gobble up all the headlines, but Nissan is quietly working away on the next gen Leaf. I suspect GM has a good idea of what the specs and timing will be, which is why the Bolt is being developed so quickly.

As much as people would like to see Tesla and GM fight it out, I think GM and Nissan will snag a bunch of early sales and set a precedent for price and range/performance. By the time the M3 comes to market, GM and Nissan will already have improved range and might even be due for styling updates or have additional EV models/varients available.

My guess is that Nissan will have slightly less than 200 miles of range, but possibly come in close to $30K before rebates. GM will have more range, but will cost more.
Tesla will achieve 200 miles + but possibly not in a base model and won't be available until 2018 at the earliest. IF they offer the car at $35K it will be an absolute stripper model with no options.

I really don't think they'll squeak any cars out the door in 2017, despite their claims...unless they are sandbagging (like Nissan) and are much further along in the design/development/testing than they are letting on...
but, if they had the resources for that, the Model X wouldn't be over a year behind schedule. ;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
That's one thing I like about Nissan, they keep things quiet till they're ready to show the world what they have ready for us :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts