Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EV owners with an account at one of those providers will soon be able to use the other network's stations without needing to create a separate account, and be able to handle all charging/billing transactions using just a single account. I was waiting for this shoe to drop.

·
Registered
362 Posts
So I guess since EA is currently cheaper I can just use EA account even on an EVGO charger?! I hope this is implemented soon! Great news

·
Registered
280 Posts
Experience with EA connections recently on a road trip. I used a 150kw DCFC with no problems on my first time using the EA network ... it was flawless. Charged at around 54kW as expected. Two days later on my return trip, I pulled into this same 150 kW unit; same number, no doubt. Started charge ... wow ... realized after a couple mins it was only at 24kW whereas it should have been 54kW or there abouts. Ok. Stopped this session after I realized this and moved to the adjacent 350 kW charger which started up flawlessly at 54kW.

Ok I opened up a case with EA after I got home and you know what? The refused to refund the 70 cent charge for the first "failed" session. Lesson learned ... evidently you have to stop the charge within their "one minute" seemingly arbitrary timeframe. So you sure as heck better check their charge rate right away once the session begins. Second, they did acknowledge that the car to charging negotiation did not work correctly on that charger and they were going to run diagnostics on it. Ok. But in their mind the problem is with my car and not their network because they refused even a small refund based on their network's failure to negotiation properly. In their determination I received the charge and it was fairly charged even though it was less than 1/2 of what I should have received.

The interesting thing is that on my outbound trip two days before, the tech on the other end who had problems getting the session started on a couple of their units, did give me a free charge (multiple chargers at my second stop where either marked "unavailable" or were stuck on initializing. On the return trip using the same charger at this other site, I had no problem at all. Bottom line. It's a crap shoot. Watch EA and make sure they're not ripping you off with lower charging rates than you should be getting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
BoltFan
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing