Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great news, thanks to increased sales of EVs (of which I'm sure the Bolt is a major (if not THE major) factor) has motivated EVgo to change their plans.

Now if you are on a pay as you go plan (what they used to call the "flex" plan) you will pay $0.20-$0.33 per minute (depending on the state). Previously you would be charged a $4.95 "connection fee" plus $0.20 per minute which worked out to $0.365 per minute for a 30 minute charging session.

For the membership plan (which they used to call the "on the go" plan) the prices are now $0.15-$0.21 per minute. The membership plan is also being cut in half from $19.95 per month to $9.99 per month.

The best news of all (IMO) is that they are increasing their session limit for DC fast charging from 30 minutes to 45 minutes. Those on the membership plan can even DC fast charge for 60 minutes during the evening and early morning.

Full details here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebast...price-dc-fast-charging-electric-vehicles/amp/

Personally this is ground breaking, makes taking the Bolt on longer trips much more feasible than before. Now it's realistic to be able to drive from L.A. to Vegas with just one charging stop (at least once the station in Baker comes online)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
There are two EV chargers at a local supermarket and I have seen one car ever charging there. I drive past the supermarket at least twice every day. I have never used EVGO, but I am signed up on the pay as you go plan for the just in case I need it. I would only use it if my car had low charge and an emergency happened and I needed a quick 20-30 miles of charge. I still take my SUV on long trips because of the convenience of gas stations. With a 3 and 9 year old, waiting an hour for the car to charge does not seem fun to me.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In California it is $0.20 per minute. You should be able be able to get close to 30 kWh in a 45 minute charging session for about $9. This is about what it costs a Prius to drive. My next long trip I may just test out the EVGO network.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I still think that per-minute pricing is dumb. When refueling an ICE car you don’t pay based on how long it takes to fill-up, you pay based upon how much energy you’ve purchased.

Charging stations shoud charge based on kilowatts, not minutes.

I understand that different vehicles charge at different rates, so a minimum charge cost per session may be in order, but EV owners should be paying for fuel, not time.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My understanding is that this is illegal. Only utilities can currently charge by the kWh for electricity.

The Chargepoint charger at my college charges $0.15 per kWh. However I may be paying the utility company indirectly with how the Chargepoint system works.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charging stations shoud charge based on kilowatts, not minutes.
I agree but in some states the law says if you charge someone by the kWh you are classified as a utility and subject to a whole lot of regulations that nobody wants to have to deal with.

Tesla charges by the kWh in states where they are able to and by the minute where they aren't they also have two rates for per-minute charging depending on how fast you are charging. I agree this model makes sense but it's also more confusing so I can see why EVgo would want to have a consistent rate everywhere.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
For a charging station I think it is fair for them to charge by the minute. If your car is above 80% full and your battery is drawing less power, you are using the station for a longer period of time for the same energy inputted into your car. Time is a variable that is very important for a charging station and profitability.

·
Registered
324 Posts
For a charging station I think it is fair for them to charge by the minute. If your car is above 80% full and your battery is drawing less power, you are using the station for a longer period of time for the same energy inputted into your car. Time is a variable that is very important for a charging station and profitability.
True. And while no fault of EVgo, if the battery is cold and you're @ 20%, you won't get the full rate either. Which is not a case of the owner exercising poor etiquette.

On the other hand, if there's no one waiting to use the charger, why not let a consumer top off. I might be tempted to do that is being charged by the kwh, but not so much by the minute.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
The new monthly plan is way better. The fact the $9.99 monthly fee also covers the first $9.99 of charging for the month is a great improvement. Under my current plan ($14.95/month, 10 cents/minute), even if I charged for one 30 minute session, it would cost me $14.95 (monthly fee) + $3 (30 min charging fee) = $17.95

Under the new plan, that single charge would cost only $9.99 ($9.99 monthly fee and the one 30 minute charge is included). Being in MD, it would cost 18 cents/minute, or 55 minutes of "free" charging. Awesome!

edit: and I just cancelled my old plan and switched to the new monthly plan. That was easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My understanding is that this is illegal. Only utilities can currently charge by the kWh for electricity.
It's not illegal per se, but if they do this, then they're regulated like a utility which they definitely don't want.

edit: This isn't in all states, but some have this type of regulation.

I'm super happy to see this price reduction, EVGo is pretty much the only DC option around me and where I generally go. Chargepoint has 1 station in my area that's broken more than not. (Western Mass and surrounding areas.)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ive also seen that claim on this forum, but no citation. I understand that public utilities are regulated, but EVgo isn’t a utility.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As I mentioned in my post, perhaps a minimum charge per session might be appropriate. Also, I’m not certain that every EVgo charger has the same capacity, another variable that makes per minute charging problematic.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was looking to take my Bolt to Disney World. I noticed that the (way too few) charging stations there charge by the kWh. I guess Disney is allowed to make their own rules.

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI anyone on an old monthly plan. I'd recommend calling EVgo to make the switch. Thankfully I called because the agent said I would've incurred an early termination fee if I had tried to add the new one and end the old one.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts