Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
You do know that you don’t live in a bubble when it comes about the CO2 emissions, right ? There is no boarder that can stop it to expand everywhere... it is not county/state/country related. "Your" tail pipe has an impact on "me" even though "you" are at thousands of miles maybe. The vice-versa is true too. So let’s stop about "us" and "them", because when it’s about climate and the quality of the air, only idiots can think that it’s all about boundaries.
You didn't read the prior posts, or you'd know the point I was making is that environmental impact is dependent on a great many number of variables. To that end, any anecdote is worthless because it cannot be applied more broadly to estimate environmental impact. My response wasn't an "us vs them" argument, but instead to say that the right tool for the job depends on a lot of factors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
There you go telling folks what to do again. I'll read what I want and type what I want. Maybe its you who needs to stop reading posts that upset you.
Hatchy, I will tell you what to do, stick the cornflakes where the sun don’t shine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
the point I was making is that environmental impact is dependent on a great many number of variables. To that end, any anecdote is worthless because it cannot be applied more broadly to estimate environmental impact
So what you say is something like... "well... the lake in front of us is formed by different sources, so we can’t say for sure that the stream 1 km in amont of it is adding the water to It." That’s the lousier excuse I ever heard. A drop of CO2 less here (one there, and so on) in the air has an impact in time over the climate, that’s undoubtedly true.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So what you say is something like... "well... the lake in front of us is formed by different sources, so we can’t say for sure that the stream 1 km in amont of it is adding the water to It." That’s the lousier excuse I ever heard. A drop of CO2 less here (one there, and so on) in the air has an impact in time over the climate, that’s undoubtedly true.
I think the point he's making is that given the goal of reducing your carbon footprint (or any goal) a person's best choices are different depending on their individual circumstances. As an example of the truth of this, my son doesn't own a car and rarely even rides in one or even use transit, instead riding a bicycle to work 7 miles each way and to do errands. He lives near downtown Denver. I live 35 miles from town on a farm that I own, so this option just won't work for me so I'm driving the Bolt whenever I can but it's nowhere near as good an option as a bicycle for climate.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I think the point he's making is that given the goal of reducing your carbon footprint (or any goal) a person's best choices are different depending on their individual circumstances. As an example of the truth of this, my son doesn't own a car and rarely even rides in one or even use transit, instead riding a bicycle to work 7 miles each way and to do errands. He lives near downtown Denver. I live 35 miles from town on a farm that I own, so this option just won't work for me so I'm driving the Bolt whenever I can but it's nowhere near as good an option as a bicycle for climate.
Sounds like you need an electric assist bicycle. A 1.5 kWh battery will easily do your 70 mile round trip. I have 58,881 miles on my two e-assist bikes since September of 2011, on 1,060 kWh of electricity. That is about 20 charges on our Bolt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well, truth be told, I'm kinda old, kinda fat, the roads are pretty bad, and it's a very windy place (wind farms galore) besides being cold in the winter. The Bolt sure has a nice comfy cabin, but if I were younger and tougher and a little closer to town, I'd be doing it.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, truth be told, I'm kinda old, kinda fat, the roads are pretty bad, and it's a very windy place (wind farms galore) besides being cold in the winter. The Bolt sure has a nice comfy cabin, but if I were younger and tougher and a little closer to town, I'd be doing it.
Not going to let you off that easy roseberry. I just bought my first E-bike because my gym has been shut down for 4 months, I just had my cancerous prostate removed 6 weeks ago, had some bloating due to the surgery and of my own doing, and I'm no spring chicken either.
I have an off road and road bike that I just didn't enjoy and/or struggled with on some of the bigger hills and so I quit riding. This is getting me back to enjoying an exercise that I will stick to. On top of that, it allows me to include my main squeeze who will be getting one too as a reward for nursing me back. Looking forward to extended weekend trips along the Erie Canal bike path as well as the Hudson River trails.
What surprised me though more than anything was that I don't use the electric assist as much as I thought I would. Just for those long and steep uphills. Having a throttle to shoot across an intersection is nice though.
Roseberry, take your stimulus check and stimulate the economy. Buy an E-Bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Not going to let you off that easy roseberry. I just bought my first E-bike because my gym has been shut down for 4 months, I just had my cancerous prostate removed 6 weeks ago, had some bloating due to the surgery and of my own doing, and I'm no spring chicken either.
I have an off road and road bike that I just didn't enjoy and/or struggled with on some of the bigger hills and so I quit riding. This is getting me back to enjoying an exercise that I will stick to. On top of that, it allows me to include my main squeeze who will be getting one too as a reward for nursing me back. Looking forward to extended weekend trips along the Erie Canal bike path as well as the Hudson River trails.
What surprised me though more than anything was that I don't use the electric assist as much as I thought I would. Just for those long and steep uphills. Having a throttle to shoot across an intersection is nice though.

Roseberry, take your stimulus check and stimulate the economy. Buy an E-Bike.
Looking to buy an e-bike also, but a road e-bike, only caveat they are quite expensive. Im no spring chicken myself. But I manage to do about 3500 Km per season and on windy days it would be very handy.
Dyefrog, cancer surgery, I hope your post-op rehab goes well and you and the misses pedal on and on...

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm in my 70s, but very healthy thanks to good genes, and a life, since giving up smoking and getting drunk in my mid-twenties, of hiking, biking and jogging. That said, an electric mid-drive bike will go anywhere, just gear down. My direct drive cargo bike puts out 3 kW, so hills, wind, and gravel are no problem whatsoever. Pedaling, and dressing appropriately keeps me warm all day down to 40 F. Below that, I hike or ride my pedal bike for an hour.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Now you're just intentionally misconstruing for the purpose of constructing a straw man.

This meme is apropos:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts