Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently shopping EVSE equipment (240 volt / 32 amp) for my prospective Bolt purchase and am looking to get an EVSE which would plug in (versus hard wired).

Might anyone be able to offer a quick review of pro's and con's of an EVSE with a 6-50 plug versus a 14-50 plug? Does one provide benefits or flexibility that the other does not? Is there a common standard?

Thank you very much for any insight you're able to offer.

·
Registered
782 Posts
NEMA 14-50 plugs are more common and the standard hook up for RV's and other recreational vehicles - NEMA 6-50 are common hooks up for "industrial" purposes (arc welders and pottery kilns) - if you have a choice I would get the NEMA 14-50 it's the more common plug you're likely to encounter in the wild....

if you're really concerned you can get an adapter to convert a 14-50 to 6-50 for less than $75 which means it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RV parks have 14-50P, so you can take your charger with you and use it there. There are also smaller, lower-amp after market chargers that will work if you want to leave yours at home.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My Siemens VersiCharge comes with a 6-50 plug. It is 16 pounds and easily lifted off its mounting bracket. It stows easily. I made a 6-50 to 14-50 adaptor cord for <$40 and have driven 240 miles to a location with no commercial EVSE for 100 miles, but a 240 volt, 14-50 outlet. Either way works, but the 14-50 is more versatile.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The ChargePoint charger comes with 6-50. An adapter is a good option here, as both 6-50 and 14-50 carry the same current, so there are no inherent dangers. I don't carry my ChargePoint charger around, as I use the Tesla portable charger with all its adapters. There are so many ways to do all this, some of them a bit suspect, so it could be confusing for some.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The ChargePoint charger comes with 6-50.
Yes I put a plugged Chargepoint L2 EVSE with 6-50 male plug in my garage when I got my Bolt. I ran 4-wire cable (nobody around here sells 3-wire 6 AWG anyway) from service panel to a 6-50 wall plug inlet. All the electrician did was marrette the unneeded neutral wire at both ends. I plan to keep my Bolt and this setup a long time. But if I (or the next homeowner) ultimately need a 14-50 the wires are there and it'll be a quick conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts