Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Energy Detail screen said that I used 46 kWh since last full charge. 23% was remaining in the battery. I plugged it in into 120v outlet, through an energy meter, to measure the energy that goes into it. The meter said that the power consumer was about 1.38 kW. In theory, it should have fully charged in 33 hours. However, I had it plugged for about 40 hours, and despite the car saying that it is full charged, it was still drawing the same 1.38 kW from the grid. Overall, it consumed about 55 kWh of energy over 40 hours, but it was still charging at that point. That comes out to at least 17% losses when charging. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
It seems high to me, but there are a couple of things that could cause it:

- If your previous charge was in hilltop reserve mode and the current charge is not then it's going to take more to "fill" it this time than it did last time.

- If the car is experiencing very cold or hot conditions then some energy could be going into thermal conditioning for the battery.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems high to me, but there are a couple of things that could cause it:

- If your previous charge was in hilltop reserve mode and the current charge is not then it's going to take more to "fill" it this time than it did last time.

- If the car is experiencing very cold or hot conditions then some energy could be going into thermal conditioning for the battery.

No, both were without hilltop reserve.

The ambient temperature was 70s or low 80s.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There is definitely loss : what is put into the battery is less than what was pulled from the wall. At 120V the loss is greater than at 240V. Also, the car (the display inside) says "full" before it is 100% fully charged - it does continue to draw for a little while longer as it "tops off" or as it balances the individual cells in the battery pack. If you use the On*Star (or myChevrolet) app, you can see the exact % of battery charge.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
17% loss on L1 is within the expected range for charging losses.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
L2 effeciency is closer to between 90% and 95%. I don’t know what DCFC is.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You get the 20th battery green bar at 95% charged.

The car reports “full” between 97% and 98%.

The car reports “complete” only after reaching 100% and doing some battery cell balancing. I think it says “full” at about 97% because it takes an unknown and unpredictable amount of time to finish those last couple percent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts