Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used Siemens Versicharge for home use. It has a 20 foot cord, which will not easily reach from the side of the house… especially when my wife’s car is in the way (which is most of the time). My wife is not thrilled with the idea of trenching in underground electric and mounting the EVSE to a pole, so I was thinking about getting an extension for the car side of the cord. I see a bunch of them on the market, but was wondering if any brand is more respected than another. With the Mustart EVSE overheating issues, I’m guessing I should stay away from them. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2,834 Posts
What about mounting the EVSE closer to the parking spot? Standard wires are less costly than J plug extenders.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about mounting the EVSE closer to the parking spot? Standard wires are less costly than J plug extenders.
Moving the EVSE closer involves renting a trencher and burying the wires 18” underground in conduit. Just the trencher rental (if I do it myself) will cost more than the ~$180 extension. Then there’s the cost of the wire, conduit, and a pole mounted in concrete.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And the fact that my wife doesn’t want an EVSE mounted on a pole halfway down the driveway and will keep reminding me of that for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I just bought a used Siemens Versicharge for home use. It has a 20 foot cord, which will not easily reach from the side of the house… especially when my wife’s car is in the way (which is most of the time). My wife is not thrilled with the idea of trenching in underground electric and mounting the EVSE to a pole, so I was thinking about getting an extension for the car side of the cord. I see a bunch of them on the market, but was wondering if any brand is more respected than another. With the Mustart EVSE overheating issues, I’m guessing I should stay away from them. Thoughts?
I purchased a Lectron 40' extender directly from Lectron, so that I could charge outside of the garage, and it seems well made. The conductors (assuming the printing on the cable isn't lying) are suitable for the 40A lmit, and the connectors are pretty standard fare. It weighs a ton. While I'm not happy having to charge outside, I'm happy with the solution.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a Lectron 40' extender directly from Lectron, so that I could charge outside of the garage, and it seems well made. The conductors (assuming the printing on the cable isn't lying) are suitable for the 40A lmit, and the connectors are pretty standard fare. It weighs a ton. While I'm not happy having to charge outside, I'm happy with the solution.
Thanks, that’s good to know. Lectron is one of the ones I have bookmarked. My Siemens ESVE is only 30a, and can be turned down to lower amps if I want. I have a 40a circuit, so no need to turn it down.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Another option is to buy a longer cable and install it yourself. I did that for my portable, having 30' to work with is really nice because 14-50 sockets aren't always in usable locations.

·
Administrator
2,834 Posts
Moving the EVSE closer involves renting a trencher and burying the wires 18” underground in conduit. Just the trencher rental (if I do it myself) will cost more than the ~$180 extension. Then there’s the cost of the wire, conduit, and a pole mounted in concrete.
Is there a compromise position? For example, running cable and conduit to a corner of the garage closer to where you will park the car? The 20FT J-plug cord might reach and no trenching needed?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I purchased a Lectron 40' extender directly from Lectron, so that I could charge outside of the garage, and it seems well made. The conductors (assuming the printing on the cable isn't lying) are suitable for the 40A limit, and the connectors are pretty standard fare. It weighs a ton. While I'm not happy having to charge outside, I'm happy with the solution.
I bought the Lectron 20 foot 40A one and am happy with it. I use it with my Mach E, which pulls the full 40A.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another option is to buy a longer cable and install it yourself. I did that for my portable, having 30' to work with is really nice because 14-50 sockets aren't always in usable locations.
You mean install a longer cable from the EVSE to the car? In that case, I would have the same question: which brand cable is reputable? Most companies only seem to have 20 or 25 foot cables. That’s what prompted me to look at extensions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a compromise position? For example, running cable and conduit to a corner of the garage closer to where you will park the car? The 20FT J-plug cord might reach and no trenching needed?
There is no garage. I can mount it to the house, which would reach the car that is closest to the house. My wife works from home most days, and when she goes in to the office, she gets home around 4pm. I get gone from work between 9pm and 1am, so I am always behind her car.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,508 Posts
Yup. That's what I'd do. Buy the 40' extension, and cut off the receptacle part, leaving a couple of feet for potential "future use". The Siemens is pretty easy to work on, too, so attaching the longer cable is a snap.

·
Registered
967 Posts
eBay has a Conntek 15304 15 ft. extension for $70.50. The same cord on Amazon is $106.94.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I think the OP is asking about an extension cable that connects from the J1772 connector to the car's J1772 port.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,508 Posts
I think the OP is asking about an extension cable that connects from the J1772 connector to the car's J1772 port.
The Lectron 40' (mentioned above) is a J1772 extension cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased an Inteset J1772 extension cable, and have used it a couple times, no problem. Its wire shows AWG 10, which matches the cable on my Clipper Creek EVSE. Both are rated for up to 40 Amps continuous, which is more than enough for the 32 Amps continuous the Bolt needs. The wire also says it's UL listed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice/info. It turns out that the 20’ cable plus a 20’ extension would still not be enough. I began trenching today. The trench extends approximately 27’ from the house. The EVSE will be mounted there on a post. From there, it will reach my car without an extension.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,508 Posts
Thanks for all the advice/info. It turns out that the 20’ cable plus a 20’ extension would still not be enough. I began trenching today. The trench extends approximately 27’ from the house. The EVSE will be mounted there on a post. From there, it will reach my car without an extension.
I, too, am inclined to do things the "right" way, if at all possible, and I can stomach the $.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts