Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
253 Posts
I know it is rated for outside. However there is some benefit to creating a little canopy over it to keep the UV rays off of it. It will eventually oxidize and deteriorate. Also would be a good Idea to keep the sun from heating it up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know it is rated for outside. However there is some benefit to creating a little canopy over it to keep the UV rays off of it. It will eventually oxidize and deteriorate. Also would be a good Idea to keep the sun from heating it up.
Fortunately, it will not get much direct sun because we live under a tall tree canopy. Having said that, I have been thinking of ways to keep the weather off of it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I recently purchased an Inteset J1772 extension cable, and have used it a couple times, no problem. Its wire shows AWG 10, which matches the cable on my Clipper Creek EVSE. Both are rated for up to 40 Amps continuous, which is more than enough for the 32 Amps continuous the Bolt needs. The wire also says it's UL listed.

No problems charging the Bolt with this extension cable?

I just bought one, since we're parking in the driveway now... and the car reports "Charge cord not fully inserted", no matter which order the extension is plugged in. No amount of wiggling fixes it.

I did some googling, and found some plugs have issues due to a rubber or foam sealing ring preventing full insertion. This extension plug doesn't have that, but my EVSE plug does have a thin foam ring. It works fine plugged directly into the Bolt. I'll scrape the foam off later and try it then.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

I just bought one, since we're parking in the driveway now... and the car reports "Charge cord not fully inserted", no matter which order the extension is plugged in. No amount of wiggling fixes it.

I did some googling, and found some plugs have issues due to a rubber or foam sealing ring preventing full insertion. This extension plug doesn't have that, but my EVSE plug does have a thin foam ring. It works fine plugged directly into the Bolt. I'll scrape the foam off later and try it then.
I have the Inteset cord also. I have a 40A Bosch EVSE, not that brand should make much of a difference.
I had to have the EVSE turned off prior to plugging the extension on to the charge cable. Then turn on the EVSE, then plug in to the car. It wouldn’t work in any other order.

BTW, I’m not so sure that this cord with 10 AWG Is actually a 40A. My EVSE has size 8, and the extension cable does indeed get hotter than the EVSE cable. The only reason I didn’t return it is that it seems to be able to handle the Bolt’s 32A max charge ability.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Still works like a charm for me. I always have the car completely off while charging. I plug the EVSE cord into the Inteset extension cord first, and then plug the Inteset extension cord into the Bolt. It immediately begins charging. I'm using a Clipper Creek EVSE. I don't THINK the Clipper Creek has a foam ring on its plug, but I never really studied it all that carefully. If you get that satisfying snap when connecting the EVSE to the extension, I would hope that's enough to guarantee a solid connection.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
256 Posts
BTW, I’m not so sure that this cord with 10 AWG Is actually a 40A.
First remember that the NEC applies to building wiring, if something's plugged in the NEC ends at the plug. The NEC does say that 10 AWG should be protected by a 30 AMP breaker when used as a branch circuit, but 10 AWG cable can be rated for 40 amps if the insulation is rated for 90°C. Now that is pretty warm, but my table lists 10 types of insulation that are acceptable. So, it's conceivable that the cable is UL listed for 40 amps. The Inteset web site says the cable is rated at 105C dry and 60C wet and they have a support item that addresses the issue.

I've got one of the Inteset cables on order (a 30 foot one). It won't be here until next week. I'll post more details when I have it in hand.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
First remember that the NEC applies to building wiring, if something's plugged in the NEC ends at the plug. The NEC does say that 10 AWG should be protected by a 30 AMP breaker when used as a branch circuit, but 10 AWG cable can be rated for 40 amps if the insulation is rated for 90°C. Now that is pretty warm, but my table lists 10 types of insulation that are acceptable. So, it's conceivable that the cable is UL listed for 40 amps. The Inteset web site says the cable is rated at 105C dry and 60C wet and they have a support item that addresses the issue.

I've got one of the Inteset cables on order (a 30 foot one). It won't be here until next week. I'll post more details when I have it in hand.
Good to know, thanks 😊

I did decide not to send it back over the wire size, as it does seem to be rated correctly, it’s just that none of the sellers give the actual wire size, other than the juice box distributor. I ordered one from them prior to Inteset, via eBay for $150, which was described as an extension cable and showed photos of a male and female plug ends. When I get the thing, it is a replacement cord. I returned it, but at least it was the 8 awg cord like on my EVSE. They never answered my questions about whether or not they actually have an extension cable available or not, so I just took the return label and sent it back 🤨

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, I couldn’t get mine to work so I tried ringing out the pins. One control pin did not have a connection. I took the socket end apart - there’s no wire on the PP pin. Is that normal?

Edit: Yes, it is.
The Control Pilot (CP) uses a wire within the cable; I have connection through the cable for that.
The Proximity Pilot (PP) uses circuitry within the plug handle; there's no wire for it in the cable.

Looks like my problem is with the circuit in the handle.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

·
Registered
182 Posts
An update: the problem was the microswitch in the handle. It was stuck down so the car saw the plug as not fully inserted.

If anyone buys an extension and gets the cord not fully inserted message, just operate the button on the handle a bunch of times and listen for the click of the microswitch. That’s all it took to fix mine.

Glad I didn’t send it back for that.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
256 Posts
I got my Inteset cable yesterday. No problems getting it to work. You just have to remember to connect the car last. The cable appears to be of good quality; the connectors both come with covers, which I like. The cable is only slightly smaller than the cable on the Juicebox itself. For a thirty foot cable it is pretty light (about 10 pounds). I only ran it at 16 amps but detected no heating. I am pretty pleased at the moment. I'll report back if anything changes.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts