Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did a short 35 min charge on 32A. Noticed that the EVSE temp showed 133F. Does your EVSE have a temp sensor, what's the hottest you've seen it run?

133F is about 56C
122F would be 50C, I think this is the max operating temp for most EVSE

Perhaps a good idea to use the stock EVSE on 240v in the summer and then use the after market faster EVSE in the winter (esp in case the car runs the heater).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Remember the max operating temp is for ambient air. If its rated for 50C ambient temp then you can run it when its 50C outside

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
133F is not overly hot for electronics, if it was hitting 165+ I would start keeping an eye on it.
The Micro Inverters under my solar panels hit 159F on warm sunny summer days and they have a 25yr warranty.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My main problem with plastic covered electronics is that their is no heat sink to the air. Heat is what destroys motors and electronics more than anything else short of a short (pun). I'm looking to buy the Grizzle-E which has a metal shell by year's end, just waiting to see if they come out with their wi-fi version soon.

All I can say is keep an eye on it. You should be able to use it all year round. The question also is: where is the sensor reading the high temperature? It may be hotter inside on a particular component.

133 is not overly hot but getting there. It all depends on the quality of the components. The good news is at 140 all bacteria are killed. Maybe covid too.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
...The good news is at 140 all bacteria are killed.
Which is the reason the domestic hot water heater in your home should be set to 140F then blended with cold water via a mixing valve to 120-130F range to prevent scalding.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Used a portable EVSE on the Island last week, and had to leave it in the sun. Ambient temp was ~25 C. Charger showed 50 C (12A, 120V). No issues at all related to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts