Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The US Tax Credit for EVSE's that expired at the end of 2016 has been retroactively extended to cover purchases in 2017. If you bought an EVSE in 2017, you can get 30% (excluding permitting and inspection) back in the form of a Tax Credit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Exclusions are permitting and inspections, not installation fees.
A major cost of installing an EVSE can be credited as a percentage, which is great !

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exclusions are permitting and inspections, not installation fees.
A major cost of installing an EVSE can be credited as a percentage, which is great !
Fixed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone actually done this on TurboTax or otherwise? This used to be an easy area to find and fill out, but now is impossible to find and the form itself doesn't let me fill it out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Has anyone actually done this on TurboTax or otherwise? This used to be an easy area to find and fill out, but now is impossible to find and the form itself doesn't let me fill it out. Any thoughts?
It was signed into law only yesterday, so there’s no 2017 form or instructions yet on the IRS website.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Wow. I hope you don't have to provide a receipt. I didn't think I qualified so I didn't keep any kind of receipt. I do have a credit card statement that shows payment to Clipper Creek though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Wow. I hope you don't have to provide a receipt. I didn't think I qualified so I didn't keep any kind of receipt. I do have a credit card statement that shows payment to Clipper Creek though.
Contact Clipper Creek, they’ll probably be happy to email you a copy of your invoice.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
With most deductions/tax credits, the IRS cannot be looking over all the supporting data. You NEED it (proof of purchase, not the original receipt) IF they audit you, just like hundreds of other supporting documents. Your accountant might like to see the copy, but the IRS does not. When I looked at the 2016 version of the EVtax credit form, there was no mention of sending (attaching) the cars, bill of sale. I will bet the 2017 tax year version will be nearly identical.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Does the Bolt's OEM EVSE qualify?[/QUOTE

Here’s the instructions for the 2016 form, 2017 will most likely be the same:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

It’s clear that a separately purchased L1 or L2 EVSE would qualify. Whether you can claim the included charger is a good question for your tax preparer.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Does the Bolt's OEM EVSE qualify?[/QUOTE

Here’s the instructions for the 2016 form, 2017 will most likely be the same:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

It’s clear that a separately purchased L1 or L2 EVSE would qualify. Whether you can claim the included charger is a good question for your tax preparer.
I ended up with two Bolt EVSE's. Ordered the optional extra one and have a line item on the invoice. I made my order long before I knew anything about charging an electric vehicle. I leave one plugged in on 240V and the other one just stays in the car and never used. Would be sweet to at least recoup 30% on the extra one as it was pretty much a rip off. Could of gotten a nice full level 2 one for the cost of the option.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I ended up with two Bolt EVSE's. Ordered the optional extra one and have a line item on the invoice. I made my order long before I knew anything about charging an electric vehicle. I leave one plugged in on 240V and the other one just stays in the car and never used. Would be sweet to at least recoup 30% on the extra one as it was pretty much a rip off. Could of gotten a nice full level 2 one for the cost of the option.
You can recoup cost + install cost, if you had any expense in getting the 240 line installed.

There’s always eBay if you’re stuck with the extra OEM EVSE and want to sell it, or you can list it on this site’s marketplace forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts