Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leasing my Bolt. Should I even consider modifying the stock 110v EVSE cord with an upgrade if I'm supposed to return the car in "original" condition in 3 years? Will the cord need to go back as it was originally? There shouldn't be much cost - either in penalty or returning it to 110v.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Contractually, you can't modify it.

However, I had EVSEUpgrade modify my stock LEAF charger to 240V/16A and swapped the new stock one when I went to lease another LEAF 3 years down the road. Even if you don't plan on leasing another Bolt, the dealers are unaware and won't notice that it's modified much less if it's even there.

If you're paranoid about it, just make a trade request in the forum once your lease is nearing the term. I'm sure you won't have any problem finding someone who would trade their stock EVSE for it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I had hear that the std (shipped with car) Bolt "120V" EVSE will handle 240V with no internal modification required. If you have a 120V<->240V 'pigtail' so that you can plug it in to a 240V socket, then it will provide about 2.8kW (240 * 12). Not exactly a fast charger, but twice as fast as the default 120V setting. 12 hours will get you somewhere around 30-33 kWh, about a half charge.

1) I do not know if this is true
2) I am NOT recommending that you create, buy, or use a pigtail like that (it a great way to fry electronics and create fires)

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I'm leasing my Bolt. Should I even consider modifying the stock 110v EVSE cord with an upgrade if I'm supposed to return the car in "original" condition in 3 years? Will the cord need to go back as it was originally? There shouldn't be much cost - either in penalty or returning it to 110v.
SparkE has it right. Don't touch the EVSE itself, just make up an adapter with a 240V plug on one side and a 120V socket on the other so that you can plug the EVSE into the adapter and the adapter into a 240V wall socket. See: this thread on the Volt's EVSE, which is apparently the same as the Bolt's.

Of course if you do this you have to assume the responsibility for using it safely.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm using the EVSE upgrade I obtained for my 2013 Leaf from http://evseupgrade.com.

It's worked great for four years now and provides me with between 20-25 miles per hour range while charging.

The good folks at EVSEupgrade.com told me that the cable provided with the Bolt is too slender to deliver that level of charging... it would be reduced by about a third to half, so I just kept my Leaf EVSE upgrade when I turned my leased Leaf in (cost very little to find a standard cable to turn in with the Leaf). http://evseupgrade.com does provide an upgrade option for the Bolt standard EVSE, but it will not deliver the higher current available from the Leaf upgrade or other EVSE's on the market with thicker cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm using the EVSE upgrade I obtained for my 2013 Leaf from evseupgrade.

It's worked great for four years now and provides me with between 20-25 miles per hour range while charging.

The good folks at EVSEupgrade.com told me that the cable provided with the Bolt is too slender to deliver that level of charging... it would be reduced by about a third to half, so I just kept my Leaf EVSE upgrade when I turned my leased Leaf in (cost very little to find a standard cable to turn in with the Leaf). Evseupgrade does provide an upgrade option for the Bolt standard EVSE, but it will not deliver the higher current available from the Leaf upgrade or other EVSE's on the market with thicker cables.
As an alternative, if the Bolt EVSE can't be upgraded as noted above (which may or may not be true), at the least, couldn't the OP just acquire a Volt EVSE and get the adapter to use with it. The plugs on the vehicles are the same, are they not? Seems like it might work.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I'm using the EVSE upgrade I obtained for my 2013 Leaf from http://evseupgrade.com.

The good folks at EVSEupgrade.com told me that the cable provided with the Bolt is too slender to deliver that level of charging... it would be reduced by about a third to half, so I just kept my Leaf EVSE upgrade when I turned my leased Leaf in (cost very little to find a standard cable to turn in with the Leaf). http://evseupgrade.com does provide an upgrade option for the Bolt standard EVSE, but it will not deliver the higher current available from the Leaf upgrade or other EVSE's on the market with thicker cables.
Weird, because those folks are offering upgrades for the Bolt's portable EVSE and advertising a doubling or better of charging rate:

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=31

A number of people have built their own adapters for the Bolt's portable EVSE to provide a connection to 240V sources.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
A number of people have built their own adapters for the Bolt's portable EVSE to provide a connection to 240V sources.
Yes, there's no need to make any modifications to the Bolt's EVSE itself - it's already 240V capable. All you need is a way to plug it into a 240V socket.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Yes, it will double the rate of charge... but the Leaf cable quadruples it!!!

:)
Well, the Leaf route also requires that you have a Leaf EVSE to begin with, and as a result is considerably more expensive to do if you don't have one, as opposed to $50 or so for an adapter. Note that the Nissan modified unit tops out at 16A on 240V. However, It is a 33% improvement over the Bolt's EVSE. Nothing to sneeze out.

That said, the fact that they can modify the stock Leaf EVSE to be the equivalent of a TurboCord from Aerovironment is pretty awesome. And add in adjustable settings as well.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I am running our stock Bolt EVSE off of 240 volts at 12 amps...the dash shows 3 kW...off two, 20 amp, 120 volt wall outlets. I am doing this until the electrician comes and swaps out the 90 amp breaker, for my old welder outlet, to 40 amps for the eMotorWerks charge station.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts