Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

EXCESSIVE CHARGING TIME- 16 hours

4K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  sumday 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 Bolt that has been a GREAT car. I had the battery replaced last summer and I’ve been getting 215 miles on our usual winter days in Ohio, about 315 in the summer 80 degree days. No issues until this week. I drive about 100 miles round trip for work. Suddenly my car is not fully charged in the morning and I might have 115 miles. I thought it was a fluke but tonight when I plugged in with 20 miles left it indicated my full charge would take 16 hours. WHAT? Any clue what might have caused the charging time to increase to 16 hours when normally its 8???

#7 ·
Not a lot of information about what type of charging (L1 vs L2, etc)...
Based on what he said, a drop in half for expected charge time makes me think that possibly he was charging with an L2 EVSE (perhaps OEM with an adapter) and that EVSE is now running on only one side, so basically L1 speeds.
My guess would be an EVSE / electrical issue at this stage...

Really need more info about what EVSE is being used, etc...

#10 ·
You are correct. 3 KW. Now what?
BT, your OP is un-actionable unless you tell us what brand and model number of EVSE you are using, and where you set it (the charging Amps) when it was working correctly. Or that it is a fixed-rate EVSE with no adjustment.
I have a Clipper Creek Level 2 used without any issue for 3 yrs. There is no adjustment on the charger that I know of to intentionally slow it down.

#14 ·
Two thoughts: 1) Perhaps departure charging was engaged accidentally, w/ a mid-day departure time, or 2) very unlikely, but perhaps a problem at the electrical panel? I'd think the EVSE would catch this but perhaps only one of the legs of the 240V circuit is energized? I know dryers will spin but not heat if one of the legs is out/disconnected.

#25 ·
when I plugged in with 20 miles left it indicated my full charge would take 16 hours. WHAT? Any clue what might have caused the charging time to increase to 16 hours when normally its 8???

I use a Clipper Creek Charger LCS, - 20, 240V, 16A. Bought in 2017, new.
If you're charging to 90-100% at 16A and charging from <10% full (20 mile range), then yes, 16 hours to full charge would be what you'd expect to see. Going any faster would require an EVSE that can draw more Amps.

#28 ·
You can turn off you Bolt and disconnect the battery in the front, the regular one and lived disconnect for 10 minutes.
Wen the computer restart all the system starts to recalculate the battery and take 1 or 2 trips to reset and be mor exactly.
A friend have to do the same with the Tesla one time a year and sometimes twice.. except the Tesla can be reboot with software, no need to disconnect the battery.

#33 ·
I just had a level 2 home 48amp charger installed. When I first tried to use it it took over 16 hrs to charge from 91 miles to 240 miles. What I found out was that I needed to connect to my home charger to my phone via bluetooth. Once I did that I was able to adjust the amps my charger was putting out. It's factory default was set at 5 amps which is why it was taking so long to charge the first time. Once I increased the amps settings to 48 through my phone app settings it started charging much faster! So if your home charger seems slow see if there are any settings on the charger or in the chargers app that may be causing the issue.