Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car seems to be too new. I can't find any of the exploded parts diagrams from the typical online parts vendors.

I'm trying to do something and wanted to know if the panel housing the 12v outlet on the dash comes off easily or do I have to disassemble all those dash parts to gain access to screws from behind?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks! Typically areas like that are just clipped in, but I have noticed some cars are tricky and will have 2 screws or something tucked away. Would be interested in a write up of the USB ports you'll be adding in though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was easily pried off with the trim remover? No unscrewing needed?
Yes. Pry from the top / side. Hooks are at the bottom.

I'm trying to see if I can add a CarPlay capable port in that area.

I also removed the center console to take a peek at how everything's wired up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I plugged in a cigarette lighter adapter that gives me two USB ports, one put out 1 amp and the other 2.1 amps. Got it at CVS for 8 bucks. It's purple (other colors available) and I didn't have to pry on anything, break it, and curse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plugged in a cigarette lighter adapter that gives me two USB ports, one put out 1 amp and the other 2.1 amps. Got it at CVS for 8 bucks. It's purple (other colors available) and I didn't have to pry on anything, break it, and curse.
I'm actually trying to relocate the CarPlay/data capable USB port from the center console to the cigarette lighter area for neater cable management because I currently mount my phone on the button blanks below the A/C temp control knob. That way, if/when Apple Maps fails me, I can unlock the phone and use either Waze or Google Maps.

And yes... there's always a reason to start prying stuff apart. That's how I "get acquainted" with all of my vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm actually trying to relocate the CarPlay/data capable USB port from the center console to the cigarette lighter area for neater cable management because I currently mount my phone on the button blanks below the A/C temp control knob. That way, if/when Apple Maps fails me, I can unlock the phone and use either Waze or Google Maps.

And yes... there's always a reason to start prying stuff apart. That's how I "get acquainted" with all of my vehicles.

I'd really like to know how this turned out for you. I have a similar project with our LT Bolt, where I plan to replace the rear vertical panel of the center console with the version that comes with the Premier model. The Premier version has two USB ports for charging only, but I also plan to drill a hole below them and install a regular 12 volt "cigarette lighter style" outlet.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'm actually trying to relocate the CarPlay/data capable USB port from the center console to the cigarette lighter area for neater cable management because I currently mount my phone on the button blanks below the A/C temp control knob.
Can't you just use one of those little USB chargers that plugs into the 12V DC power plug (which used to be called the "cigarette lighter socket")? It's right below the area you're talking about.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can't you just use one of those little USB chargers that plugs into the 12V DC power plug (which used to be called the "cigarette lighter socket")? It's right below the area you're talking about.
That won't support CarPlay which is what he wanted I believe.

More ports will only work if the computer board has an extra four pin USB 2.0 output (and the OS enumerates the plug, presumably it does), but I'd guess there won't be extra ports lying about. Has anybody tried putting a USB hub on the CarPlay ports?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'd really like to know how this turned out for you. I have a similar project with our LT Bolt, where I plan to replace the rear vertical panel of the center console with the version that comes with the Premier model. The Premier version has two USB ports for charging only, but I also plan to drill a hole below them and install a regular 12 volt "cigarette lighter style" outlet.
Didn't happen...

Although I found the USB female connector where the center console 2xUSB ports plugged into, I was unable to get them to both work at the same time. I can move it then the console ports would be disconnected. A hub didn't work either.

So I decided that leaving it as is would be the best course of action.

Here are some pictures of various stuff taken apart:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the pictures. Any thoughts on why the USB port gets so hot? They warn us about it in the manual and I thought it was just CYA, but in fact those ports get crazy hot, why?
Try plugging a USB thumbnail drive in a PC. Gets really hot too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's interesting. I wonder how they break that single Mini-USB plug out into two single USB female jacks? There must have some kind of hub in there someplace I would assume.

The two USB Jacks I want to install on the rear of the console would be for power only, so I really don't need to mess with the existing USB connector, I just need to get 12 volts + to them and the cigarette lighter socket I'm putting underneath them.

Didn't happen...

Although I found the USB female connector where the center console 2xUSB ports plugged into, I was unable to get them to both work at the same time. I can move it then the console ports would be disconnected. A hub didn't work either.

So I decided that leaving it as is would be the best course of action.

Here are some pictures of various stuff taken apart:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dash disassembly

Hi tk1971, any chance you have taken the dash apart? I'd like to re-purpose the unused button locations, but am unsure how to get that area taken apart. We've had our Bolt 3 weeks, so timing seems appropriate to start taking things apart.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts