Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our Bolts near the end of the standard GM Warranty Period, what have Members considered or purchased regarding ELWs ? Preferably, GM Certified Warranties that mimic the new car warranty without exclusions.
It's hard to determine what future costs might occur due to the sophisticated electronic circuitry of our cars.
Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
637 Posts
Normally I wouldn't buy one but for the Bolt I did. Any dealer can sell you one so there is price competition.
This dealer has a rep for being the low bidder. I showed theirs to the local dealer who price matched it.

https://www.dennymenholt.com/ProtectionDetails

Saved me several hundred bucks.

Reactions: p7wang

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
I assume they don't offer a warranty that would extend the battery warranty beyond 8 years / 100k?
The point is extending the main warranty. The battery warranty is good for 8 years or 80K miles, whichever occurs first, after first sale or lease, so there are still a few years to go on even the earlier 2017 models. The main warranty, of course, is long expired on those, so extended is in order, and IMO with a Chevy product you should buy one. And just in case you wonder: the battery warranty for degradation will probably never be triggered unless you're That Person, since GM expects it to degrade by somewhere around 40-50% in 8 years.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
I believe it is 8 years, 100,000 miles for initial battery warranty.
The paperwork I have says 80K miles, which is the minimum required by the feds and California. It's kind of irrelevant, though: unless you have a really crazy commute or use the car for something like taxi or gig car service, the warranty will almost certainly expire on time rather than miles. That said, I did wonder how the original lessee of the car I bought could put 35K miles on it (a '17 bought in Jan 2020); definitely NOT a "low-mileage" lease.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
1,200 Posts
The paperwork I have says 80K miles, which is the minimum required by the feds and California...
When you go to the my.chevrolet.com website and enter your VIN, what does the warranty information say? Where did you buy your Bolt? In another thread, you indicated that you put 50% down on a used Bolt and still ended up underwater. That combined with the incorrect warranty information makes me wonder about the place / person you bought from.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
28 Posts
When you go to the my.chevrolet.com website and enter your VIN, what does the warranty information say? Where did you buy your Bolt? In another thread, you indicated that you put 50% down on a used Bolt and still ended up underwater. That combined with the incorrect warranty information makes me wonder about the place / person you bought from.
Bought from a Chevy dealer in CA, a California car off lease, as CPO. The warranty info is what's in the warranty book that came with the car EDIT: OK, mychevrolet does say the "EV Component" warranty is to 100K and 1/2025, which is not what the book said /EDIT; as I say, it's irrelevant because there's no way I'm going to get to 80K or 100K miles by 2025, considering that it isn't quite 40K now and I've added ~4K since purchase. Going underwater (briefly, and slightly) was due to the value of the car being cut (per KBB) in the first 6 months to <$10K (LT with DC charging and that's about it); it's recovered considerably, and the loan has been refinanced (there are credit unions that think they're banks, and there are credit unions...), so no longer a problem.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
176 Posts
Bought from a Chevy dealer in CA, a California car off lease, as CPO. The warranty info is what's in the warranty book that came with the car EDIT: OK, mychevrolet does say the "EV Component" warranty is to 100K and 1/2025, which is not what the book said /EDIT; as I say, it's irrelevant because there's no way I'm going to get to 80K or 100K miles by 2025, considering that it isn't quite 40K now and I've added ~4K since purchase. Going underwater (briefly, and slightly) was due to the value of the car being cut (per KBB) in the first 6 months to <$10K (LT with DC charging and that's about it); it's recovered considerably, and the loan has been refinanced (there are credit unions that think they're banks, and there are credit unions...), so no longer a problem.
The warranty starts the day your car originally went in to service
You might be really surprised especially since the dealer you dealt with to me seems a little shady

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts