Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt EV Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Bolt that I bought new in May of 2021 with the OEM Michelin A/S Energy Saver tires. After only 21,400 miles, Discount Tire informed me today that they need to be replaced by my next tire rotation! I already knew EVs suffer from faster tire degradation, but this is crazy! I've never had tire tread degrade so quickly! Anyone have suggestions as to what tires to replace with that might last longer? Normally Michelin tires are pretty good. I've also read other tires that are less focused on energy saving can significantly affect the maximum range. 😮‍💨 I don't want to decrease my range by much, but I also don't want to buy tires every 20k miles! Since the tires appear to be rated for 65k miles, I did reach out to Michelin to see if they can offer any type of warranty replacement.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,322 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. I've got 35000KM on my EUV and just swapped with winters on last weekend. I commented to my son that they still look new.
I'll measure the tread depth before I haul them out to the shed for storage just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The suspense was killing me....about 5mm or 7/32.
I drive 4 months of the year on my set of Xsnows but still....
35000 over 16 months is roughly 2200 per month.
So the 4 months of winter is about 9000...so the OEMs have about 26000KM or 16000 miles on them at 7/32 so I can't see yours being shot at 21000.
It's a mechanical issue, a crooked tire salesman (sorry Jack) or a heavy foot.

Reactions: TheGodlessVegan

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
524 Posts
I have a 2021 Bolt that I bought new in May of 2021 with the OEM Michelin A/S Energy Saver tires. After only 21,400 miles, Discount Tire informed me today that they need to be replaced by my next tire rotation! I already knew EVs suffer from faster tire degradation, but this is crazy! I've never had tire tread degrade so quickly! Anyone have suggestions as to what tires to replace with that might last longer? Normally Michelin tires are pretty good. I've also read other tires that are less focused on energy saving can significantly affect the maximum range. 😮‍💨 I don't want to decrease my range by much, but I also don't want to buy tires every 20k miles! Since the tires appear to be rated for 65k miles, I did reach out to Michelin to see if they can offer any type of warranty replacement.
What did they say the remaining tread is ? Should be on the printout or maybe even emailed.

How many times have you had your tires rotated in that 21k miles ?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
First, the Michelin warranty and your Owner's Manual specifically state OEM tires have no mileage warranty.
Second, since this was discovered at a rotation, have they been rotated every 7,000 miles and are all four worn evenly?
Third, do you have a young driver who may be practicing for autocrosses?

jack vines

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got 60,000 on the OEM tires on my 17 Bolt. Probably could have gone another 10k, but I don't like to push tires to the limit. I neither baby nor abuse tires, I'd say I'm pretty average.
Curious if they said it was uneven ware (indicates misalignment), Cupping (under inflation) or wear around the outside edges (over inflation). You can get a tread wear gauge for a couple of bucks, The the tires also have "wear bars", little raised areas in the tread pattern to show when maximum wear is reached. Duck Duck Go is your friend with this.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
1,186 Posts
I got my original set replaced after 51k miles. I only did one rotation at around 16k miles, so I guess in a way, it was replaced by the next rotation. I'm going to echo others - check the tread depth and tire conditions for yourself first. There's not much information to make any diagnosis or decision as is.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Also consider that EV's are hard on tires. I've had two types of EV's so far, and both exhiibited faster tire wear than gas cars. I expect about 30K from Bolt tires. The biggest maintainence item, as far as what I do, is to check pressures regularly, and look for uneven wear, indicating alignment problems. Really a minimal problem compared to what you may encounter with ICE cars...

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt EV Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. Sounds like I need to measure myself as it hasn't been a common experience. I do push it in sport mode occasionally because it's too fun not to, but nothing consistently or aggressive. I'll check the tread depth myself and go from there.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,484 Posts
4/32 tread left. I had them rotated at 7k, 14k, and now at 21k.
Sounds like you are enjoying the acceleration!
Relax, you're in good company! (y)

btw, sport mode just remaps the Go pedal curve.
Full Go Pedal = Full Power regardless of that little button.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback. Sounds like I need to measure myself as it hasn't been a common experience. I do push it in sport mode occasionally because it's too fun not to, but nothing consistently or aggressive. I'll check the tread depth myself and go from there.
Yup. Tire tread depth gauges are readily available and cheap. They’ll also tell you things you may not notice by eye.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Something sounds off. My buddy just replaced the original tires on his 2020 Bolt EV at 60,000 miles. At the very least get a second opinion from another tire store. BTW don't ask "Do these tires need replacing?" Instead ask "How many more miles do you think I can get from this set of tires?"

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,484 Posts
...Yes, easy to burn up junky OEM tires on Ev.
And yet they're the lowest Low Rolling Resistance tires available for the Bolt, true?

I wonder how the math plays out?
OEM tire energy savings vs tire life/energy usage with a non-LRR tire.

I'll be looking for new tires eventually.
I'll be on my winter wheelset for a few months.

I have an el'cheapo brand on the front now and one OEM and a non-selfseal mich on the rear.
I'm not happy with my mi/kWh numbers.:confused:
Could it have something to do with the speeds I drive?
Of course it does!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
FWIW, if tread mileage is the prime directive, shop for replacement tires which have 11/32" tread depth. IIRC, the OEMs have only 9/32". Since the last 2/32" is not usable, the net difference is substantial.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 22 Posts