Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the various ordering guides/configurators I've seen, there is a difference between the rims offered on the LT (17" Painted Aluminum) and the Premier (17" Ultra-bright machined aluminum with painted pockets). I have only ever seen the wheels like those at the top of this web page. I assume GM would put the fancier of the wheels on their prototypes for photo shoots, and they look like ultra-bright aluminum with painted pockets to me.

Any theories on what the LT wheels will look like, if those are the Premier?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both are LTs: my clues = wheels (all silver) and no rails on the top of the car. The "painted" wheels are those shown at the top of this page: Black painted areas on the wheels. These are pix of Premiers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good eye! Thanks!
I don't think I would have guessed that they would be basically the same design, just silver painted instead of machined face + black.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You can probably plasti dip your wheels for the two tone color if you really want then, but don't want to spring for the Premier trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since there will be no spare, tire choices will be limited to self sealing tires! Is there winter self sealing tires?

Can a half wheel (donut) fit in the spare cavity?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Too bad we have a long way to go before carbon fiber wheels become an option that a good portion of us can afford. For now we will be seeing it happen on GM's performance cars. But just imagine that, a Bolt with Carbon Fiber wheels.

Maybe we'll see aftermarket wheel makers jump on this idea before GM does.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Too bad we have a long way to go before carbon fiber wheels become an option that a good portion of us can afford. For now we will be seeing it happen on GM's performance cars. But just imagine that, a Bolt with Carbon Fiber wheels.

Maybe we'll see aftermarket wheel makers jump on this idea before GM does.
It'll be a great amount of time until they become affordable. Look at the GT350R wheels. $4k each rim lol. Curbing one of those would bring tears to peoples eyes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Unless they go for a mix of materials in one wheel, like spokes in carbon fiber and then the barrel in some light metal. At least in that case when someone curbs the wheel replacing the barrel isn't much of an issue with labor and cost. They don't always have to go full carbon fiber.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an oem multi-piece wheel to be honest except for a few bmw and benz vehicles.

Even at that, if you're going to curb some sort of lightweight alloy, you don't even need to re-barrel it, just get it refinished. The only issue is carbon specifically because its essentially a twill.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Aluminium tires are fine and sturdy enough for everyday use and the machined set for the Bolt looks great with the two colors. carbon fiber would be better but that stuff just costs so much.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Aluminium tires are fine and sturdy enough for everyday use and the machined set for the Bolt looks great with the two colors. carbon fiber would be better but that stuff just costs so much.
No doubt. It's going to be something we'll more than likely see on the next Corvette or something high performance from GM.
They just better get other areas right before delving into "extras" like that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just perhaps to keep the "wheels" discussions organized into a single thread, has anyone found any tasteful aftermarket wheels they like? Comes into play as my Bolt will deliver in the peak of winter tire season, so I'll be looking for some decent wheels to either mount the winter tires on, or use the factory wheels for the snow tires if I find something I like better for the rest of the year. Granted, it's a subjective thing and we don't (?) know the wheel specs yet for replacement? Maybe I did see them somewhere...anyone have info, including the weight of the factory wheels? Looking to keep the unsprung weight as low as possible obviously. Either way, some have better p-shopping skills than me, or may have spotted some wheels that work well. When I last looked, many of the wheel and tire shop configurators didn't have the Bolt up as an option yet.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not all that knowledgeable about all the things required to get a wheel to fit right but I usually check out Tire Rack and so far they don't have any wheels listed for the Bolt, although there are tires!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts