Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Is it really not possible to do the work myself? Or at least could I take it to a competent local mechanic rather than a dealer?

Eric
Not trying to be mean spirited, but the fact that you are asking this question brings up another one:

Do you trust your own abilities to work on an absolutely vital system that might cost you your life if it isn’t done correctly?

It’s not necessary to be a professional mechanic to understand that the brake system in an electric car is substantially exactly the same as an ICE vehicle, and is likewise not necessary to be a pro to succeed at a rotor change out, but you should leave it to a pro if you have any doubts.

Any independent auto repair shop can easily do this repair for you, they just can’t touch the high voltage system which is in no way involved with the hydraulic brake system.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah it completely retracts the pistons, and then when you finish it relearns the new position.
Thanks for the info. I will add that to my Bolt brake notes file. (y)

When I removed my rear calipers/rotors, I disconnected the 12V battery before I disconnected the EPB connector on each rear caliper. I was paranoid about setting some sort of code (I read a couple of nightmare stories on other forums). After seeing your video, I'm thinking that was completely unnecessary. I assume you left your 12V battery connected when you were swapping rear pads/rotors?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'd think there is enough information online to do it with parts and tools and using all safety precautions.

I'd be tempted to drive around a lot and lay into the brakes until they clean up if all they mention is the rotor.

You may have other issues on this. Could be goofy inspector.

Some companies locally offer work on brakes at home or office. Plenty of shops specialize in brake work. Dealer you'd think would be the highest trained but .....

·
Registered
7,133 Posts
Can't think of a reason original bolts can't be used. Manuals also say to use a new drain bolt and crush washer after changing the oil, but how many people actually do that? If people are torquing things to correct specs, everything will be fine.

Heck, I don't even replace air filters, I just knock the dirt out and reinstall. I'd only replace the cabin air filter if I wanted the benefit of charcoal filtration to control odors.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
219 Posts
Yep, pretty standard.

Remove wheel, remove caliper housing, remove pads, remove caliper, remove bolt, remove rotor.

Reverse to re assemble. You should support the caliper housing that has the brake line attached with safety wire or similar; don't let it dangle and don't remove the brake line.

One thing not mentioned yet is to throw away and not re-use the Brake Caliper Springs.

Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system Optometry

Don't forget to burnish your rotors after new install !

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
"Don't forget to burnish your rotors after new install ! "

I suspect that is the "seat" or other means that some pads suggest. Some set of stops from a low speed to get them matched to rotor.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,376 Posts
If you're going to replace the calipers, you might consider painting them, both for protection...and style.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Another great reason to live in the desert 🌵

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,345 Posts
If there is any question about one's ability to perform car maintenance, then perhaps it should be done by a professional. I've done my own car work for decades, including brakes.

A friend of mine worked in an auto parts store many years ago. A man came in asking about how to replace the brakes on his car, and he clearly had no idea what he was doing. My friend asked him "Are you going to have your family in that car? Then have someone else do it."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts