Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if the false cargo floor can be added after sale by the dealer? There seems to be the special brackets that hold the floor up that need to be added and I'm not sure how hard this is to do.

I have started more seriously shopping for a Bolt as I am more afraid that Trump and the new folks in power are going to kill the tax credit. As of now it really is a gamble because the congress could potentially kill the credit and make it retro active. My hope is, they won't kill it, or at least honor all those that already applied for it in this year. My feeling is, the sooner I get my application in, the more likely I am to get it, however it's not ever going to be guaranteed.

So back to the cargo floor... I have searched the local inventory and there is a lot to choose from, but it seems there are three or four option combos that all dealers seem to stock. Nobody has exactly what I want. What I want is-

• LT trim
  • Comfort and Convenience Package
  • Orange Burst color
  • DC Fast Charger
  • False Cargo Floor
  • Sill Plates
Fremont Chevrolet has a big number of Bolts and is offering $1500 off MSRP on them, but the closest they can come is everything I want minus the False Cargo Floor and the Sill Plates. It seems they won't offer the $1500 off on a custom order. The Sill Plates I know are no big deal to add later, but the false floor I don't know. Of course the sales person will tell me whatever I want to hear to make the sale, but I'd rather know for sure.

Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Hopefully someone with a false floor can take a closer look at it. Perhaps you can be sneaky and call another dealer about the specifics of adding one later on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a plastic bracket fastened to each side and the board that is the false floor, which is a separate loose part, and can be taken completely out.

I am positive these parts will be available from the Chevy parts department and easily added by anyone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My base model LT didn't have the false floor. What option packages add it? It doesn't seem to be a separately electable option.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My base model LT didn't have the false floor. What option packages add it? It doesn't seem to be a separately electable option.
It's not part of a package. It's an individual option under "Interior Options". $100

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't have a weight limit, but it is very light weight as expected, and the weight underneath the actual hatch floor is mostly supported by the otherwise useless foam they've stuffed into the non-spare tire well.

IMHO as an owner, the "false floor" isn't really very useful, and when removed (along with the foam blocking in the well) cargo space increases dramatically (or in my case, room for a subwoofer). Just use something like dynamat on the (thin metal) well floor to reduce road noise. Because the "false floor" cover of course fits the hatch, it can still be used as a cover for your "hidden compartment" (the non-spare well) after you remove all the foam filler / space waster, you just have a lot more space. (but more road noise, note dynamat above.)

I wouldn't pick my car based on the false floor. You can grab one of us and trace measurements of the removable "floor" you can probably easily have a more sturdy one made if you really want one. I initially thought the brackets that hold it in were molded into the plastic trim, but the brackets are removable. I'm just not sure that a car without the "false floor" stock has the holes to screw them into?

I'd also be sure to see the orange in person before you sign, just as a preference thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Anyone know or experienced a weight limit to the false floor?
There's a photo of some not-midget dude laying in the hatch on the false floor. It didn't break, so it can hold at least 150 pounds of man.

I don't have a weight limit, but it is very light weight as expected, and the weight underneath the actual hatch floor is mostly supported by the otherwise useless foam they've stuffed into the non-spare tire well.

IMHO as an owner, the "false floor" isn't really very useful, and when removed (along with the foam blocking in the well) cargo space increases dramatically (or in my case, room for a subwoofer). Just use something like dynamat on the (thin metal) well floor to reduce road noise. Because the "false floor" cover of course fits the hatch, it can still be used as a cover for your "hidden compartment" (the non-spare well) after you remove all the foam filler / space waster, you just have a lot more space. (but more road noise, note dynamat above.)
I usually have the false floor stowed in the actual floor, but it is handy when I want to store "dirty" items in the sub-floor area (boots, shoes, etc), and have the false floor cover them up while still being able to store other stuff without worry of mixing up with the "dirty" items. Plus it allows for a completely flat load area when you fold the rear seats down, of course.

It's nice at least having the option.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I usually have the false floor stowed in the actual floor, but it is handy when I want to store "dirty" items in the sub-floor area (boots, shoes, etc), and have the false floor cover them up while still being able to store other stuff without worry of mixing up with the "dirty" items.
I'm eyeing the hidden lower storage compartment for stowing items that I want to always have with me but don't want to have cluttering up the space. I'm hoping a spare tire will fit down there, along with things like ice scraper, squeegee, jumper cables, extension cord, first aid kit, etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There's a photo of some not-midget dude laying in the hatch on the false floor. It didn't break, so it can hold at least 150 pounds of man.
Yes, it seems sturdy enough for any normal load. I will just avoid piling anvils on top of each other, and it will be fine.

I use it - I keep some standard junk (battery charger, camp chair, gym bag, etc.) under the floor, and have the flat floor above ready for cargo that I'm transporting.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd also be sure to see the orange in person before you sign, just as a preference thing.
Absolutely. There are loads of them on dealer lots here. I'm just waiting for a sunny day to make the drive to go see. I did see it from a distance, indoors at the LA auto show.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I initially thought the brackets that hold it in were molded into the plastic trim, but the brackets are removable. I'm just not sure that a car without the "false floor" stock has the holes to screw them into?
This is my real fear. Do all the cars have the threads in the chassis to accept the brackets? Likely they are, but I still don't know. The sales guy sent me this to try to assure me, but the answer is still not clear to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, it seems sturdy enough for any normal load. I will just avoid piling anvils on top of each other, and it will be fine.

I use it - I keep some standard junk (battery charger, camp chair, gym bag, etc.) under the floor, and have the flat floor above ready for cargo that I'm transporting.

I use the cargo space in a similar fashion storing emergency gear and junk I want to have "just in case" below the flat floor.

Yesterday I made my first full Costco run and loaded the flat floor with two full cases of soft drinks, a 40 pound bag of dog food, a case of canned cat food, and other odds and ends. No problem. The floor now seems more sturdy to me than its light weight might indicate.

BTW, since the stuff in the back blocked my direct rear view, I found that the TV camera rear view mirror function which came with the Premier Edition really useful for the first time! I've had trouble adapting to that feature.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use the cargo space in a similar fashion storing emergency gear and junk I want to have "just in case" below the flat floor.

Yesterday I made my first full Costco run and loaded the flat floor with two full cases of soft drinks, a 40 pound bag of dog food, a case of canned cat food, and other odds and ends. No problem. The floor now seems more sturdy to me than its light weight might indicate.

BTW, since the stuff in the back blocked my direct rear view, I found that the TV camera rear view mirror function which came with the Premier Edition really useful for the first time! I've had trouble adapting to that feature.
All that stuff will come in super handy with winter driving since weight in the rear like that can help for traction. Always helps to have something serve multiple purposes :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
LOL. I live in the temperate Bay Area in CA, so no snow to deal with (had enough of that growing up in the East!), but the tires seem a bit slippy in the rain on acceleration so maybe it'll help reduce that (along with me lightening my lead footed approach.)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have started more seriously shopping for a Bolt as I am more afraid that Trump and the new folks in power are going to kill the tax credit. As of now it really is a gamble because the congress could potentially kill the credit and make it retro active. My hope is, they won't kill it, or at least honor all those that already applied for it in this year. My feeling is, the sooner I get my application in, the more likely I am to get it, however it's not ever going to be guaranteed./QUOTE]

I don't think you can [get your application in] early because the Federal tax credit can only be claimed with form 8936 on your 2017 tax forms that you normally would file in 2018. Also 8936 has not been available in the past until end of January or later.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have started more seriously shopping for a Bolt as I am more afraid that Trump and the new folks in power are going to kill the tax credit. As of now it really is a gamble because the congress could potentially kill the credit and make it retro active. My hope is, they won't kill it, or at least honor all those that already applied for it in this year. My feeling is, the sooner I get my application in, the more likely I am to get it, however it's not ever going to be guaranteed./QUOTE]

I don't think you can [get your application in] early because the Federal tax credit can only be claimed with form 8936 on your 2017 tax forms that you normally would file in 2018. Also 8936 has not been available in the past until end of January or later.
You are correct. I have since discovered that. Still crossing my fingers. It's looking more hopeful as the Federal Government seems to be in disarray and damage control. I have a feeling the tax reform is not going to get done this year. Just a guess though...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm eyeing the hidden lower storage compartment for stowing items that I want to always have with me but don't want to have cluttering up the space. I'm hoping a spare tire will fit down there, along with things like ice scraper, squeegee, jumper cables, extension cord, first aid kit, etc.

the false floor comes in very handy ... I have my full size spare tire, car jack, car charger, foul weather gear and a few other necessities stored securely out of the way and out of sight ... and have my normal trunk space for every day use. seems to be holding any weight just fine and makes it a nice flat area when the seats are folded down.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The area under the false floor fits more than expected because the first time I saw it in picture, the depth of that space seemed lacking. Didn't think it'd for a spare tire, let alone a full sized one underneath.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My understanding from my dealer when I bought was that it could be added in after sale. At first they didn't think they had a car with it and I wanted the false floor so they told me it could be installed after sale. Then they ended up finding one with it already installed and didn't charge me extra for it. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts