Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im looking to buy the false floor. I bought an LT and wanted something used or if there is an aftermarket alternative.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can buy a new one on gmpartsonline.net for $133.88.

You can also check the price at your dealer.

Not cheap...but original GM part.

Easy diy to install.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You'll need to replace both side panels to get it to fit properly.
The LT has no provision for the panel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are you at all handy? I'm not, but I like to think I am. I wanted the false floor kit but since I'm hauling a full-size spare all the time, the kit won't work cause the spare protrudes too high. What I'm thinking is, rig a hinge using M6-1.0x20mm bolts and cutting my own board using a dremel and a long 2x4.

I found the bolt part # 11588712 used in the false floor kit from: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/75wd76/adding_the_cargo_false_floor_after_purchase/

If you measure the "cord" length and the "height" of the rear area (assuming it's a wedge from a circle) and plug numbers under the "Segment defined by chord and height" on this site: https://planetcalc.com/1421/#

You can get the radius of the circle. Mount your board perpendicular to the circle and attach a dremel with the plunge cut bit to the circle center using rigid string and cut an arc. So say your hatch area has a chord length of 36" and a height of 3", you'd need to anchor your string at 55.5" away from the cutting bit of the dremel. Then swing the dremel (keep the string taught) across y our 36"x24" board and you should get a curved board that fits right into the hatch area.

Or, you know, buy the kit if you don't have a huge full-size spare tire in the way.

Reactions: detsiwt

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You'll need to replace both side panels to get it to fit properly.
The LT has no provision for the panel.
Yes, the LT does have a provision for the false floor shelf, and it’s an easy DIY install.

The LT has two small circular indents in the side panels. Behind these indents are the threads for the false floor brackets. So, just cut out the thin plastic circles with a utility knife and screw in the side brackets included in the false floor kit. Takes about five minutes.

The false floor really should be standard in all Bolts, as it makes the rear floor completely flat once the rear seats are folded down, which is very handy. Once the false floor is installed there’s still plenty of room below it for storage.

Reactions: quirkySquirt

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes, the LT does have a provision for the false floor shelf, and it’s an easy DIY install.

The LT has two small circular indents in the side panels. Behind these indents are the threads for the false floor brackets. So, just cut out the thin plastic circles with a utility knife and screw in the side brackets included in the false floor kit. Takes about five minutes.

The false floor really should be standard in all Bolts, as it makes the rear floor completely flat once the rear seats are folded down, which is very handy. Once the false floor is installed there’s still plenty of room below it for storage.
Yeah, I see they came up with an add-on setup. Mine has the molded panels from the factory >:)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Yeah, I see they came up with an add-on setup. Mine has the molded panels from the factory >:)
I believe that the side shelf brackets are the same for both the LT and Premier trim levels. They’re bolted into fittings with two bolts per bracket. I have the LT, but Premier models I’ve seen appear to have the same brackets I installed myself.

The false floor is a factory option for the LT, I believe it’s about $100. Cheapest I’ve seen it as an add-on is about $130, without installation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey all,

Im looking to buy the false floor. I bought an LT and wanted something used or if there is an aftermarket alternative.
20190829_162238_HDR.jpg

I also have an LT which didn't come with a false floor. I want to install one. My son 3D printed a set of brackets. I'm going to make the "floor" out of plywood and cover it with something cute. I will leave the design of the covering up to my daughter. She is pushing for a stripped two-tone gray material with red stitching and a lightning bolt ⚡ embroided on it. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I also have an LT which didn't come with a false floor. I want to install one. My son 3D printed a set of brackets. I'm going to make the "floor" out of plywood and cover it with something cute. I will leave the design of the covering up to my daughter. She is pushing for a stripped two-tone gray material with red stitching and a lightning bolt ⚡ embroided on it. What do you think?
This is awesome. Can't wait to see the final install.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Are you at all handy? I'm not, but I like to think I am. I wanted the false floor kit but since I'm hauling a full-size spare all the time, the kit won't work cause the spare protrudes too high. What I'm thinking is, rig a hinge using M6-1.0x20mm bolts and cutting my own board using a dremel and a long 2x4.

I found the bolt part # 11588712 used in the false floor kit from: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/75wd76
If you measure the "cord" length and the "height" of the rear area (assuming it's a wedge from a circle) and plug numbers under the "Segment defined by chord and height" on this site: https://planetcalc.com/1421/#

You can get the radius of the circle. Mount your board perpendicular to the circle and attach a dremel with the plunge cut bit to the circle center using rigid string and cut an arc. So say your hatch area has a chord length of 36" and a height of 3", you'd need to anchor your string at 55.5" away from the cutting bit of the dremel. Then swing the dremel (keep the string taught) across y our 36"x24" board and you should get a curved board that fits right into the hatch area.

Or, you know, buy the kit if you don't have a huge full-size spare tire in the way.
If you want to do that, I suggest you make a template out of cardboard first.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Are you at all handy? I'm not, but I like to think I am. I wanted the false floor kit but since I'm hauling a full-size spare all the time, the kit won't work cause the spare protrudes too high.
We have an OEM wheel and tire back there, and it is the same height as the ledge for the false floor. If anything, it appears it would make the floor even more stable.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
ProVega350 is right, there are impressions for you to cut out on the LT to attach the brackets. I ultimately just got the kit from GM and cut out the impressions in my LT using a drill and some diagonal cutters: drilled 1/8" holes in the "ring" impression where the brackets install, then snipped between the holes using diagonal cutters.

GJETSON is also right, the OEM wheel fits perfectly under the false floor, adding more support to it. Key point is to make sure you get a 17"x6.5" (diameter x width) wheel. I had an old 17"x7" wheel that pushed the false cargo floor up a good 1" despite being only 1/2" wider wheel (fulcrum location was the problem). So I bought a "cheap" steely wheel that was 16"x6.5" and now my spare fits under the false cargo floor "like a glove": no raised false cargo floor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks NICE. Other than the cutout handle position, it looks almost exactly like the one on my Premier.

... Also bonus points for the unintentional yet somehow fitting camera flare on the bottom left-center.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts