Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former owner of a 2018 Kinetic Blue Bolt LT, Just traded it in a couple weeks ago for a new MX-5 RF GT and sadly there is very little I miss.

I put about 32K on my Bolt, only issues were a bad clock spring, bad window regulator and failing door trims, however I noted that in the last 5 months my range has been going in the toilet- I rarely run the AC, before I could go 250 miles for a full charge and about 225 for a hill reserve charge, very quickly in a few months I was down to 218 miles full charge and 190 miles hill reserve- could I have gotten this fixed? possibly, but it didn't matter, I was done with it and I will explain.

The Seats- while I could get comfortable, they never spoke $43,000 MSRP and the seating position was not suited for my tastes.
The Interior- Not the worst, but compared to pretty much everything else on the road, it felt just ok, again it's $43,000 MSRP and the color pallet was odd and seats dirtied easily.
The Exterior- I still think it's a neat car, but I have never been so bullied in my life in a car, people see this thing and assume I'm going to drive 30 in a 60 and cut me off every minute.
The Passengers- no matter how I drove, everybody felt nauseous due to the way the car accelerates, slows and turns- nobody would ride with me in this car.
Driving performance- This thing is quick, however, even with sticky tires, the car was just numb and one dimensional, in the twisties, it was just boring, plowed at the limit, it just didn't want to play with me.
Who I am- I'm a gear-head and techie, I've owned several compact and sports cars, Miatas, Fieros, Challenger, Corvettes and an Abarth 500, I get enjoyment by driving a car and understanding the engineering behind it in it's behaviors, sound and road feedback, This car is a great car for what it is, but as a person who loves "drivers" cars, this just didn't talk to me, it was synthetic, lacking a character- a soul, not to say it was bad, it just wasn't special, it was like a text from an old friend, you appreciate it, but it's impersonal.
Why did I even bother with it? At the time I was driving a gas guzzling Dodge, I drove 80 miles everyday and Premium fuel was uber expensive- I needed out, and the Bolt was perfect for doing that, I charged for free at work, and never had $70 oil changes, I also got $7000 from uncle sam, and that helped buy my first home- but now that I have my home, and now my work location only clocks 40 miles a day- I was missing that engine, missing that third pedal, missing that primal feeling you get from hearing the RPM's climb and feeling the torque build.

What I miss
Infotainment- not nearly as good as my Challenger, but the MX-5's system is absolute garbage compared to the Bolt.
No Fuel- Sure I get 35MPG and have a hoot driving again- I don't miss gas stations and nasty dispensers, Plugging in and starting work was easy and clean.
Cargo Room- My new car doesn't even have a glove box, and the trunk is sized for a single bowling ball- but in the Bolt- I moved a 100 Gallon fish tank and even a dishwasher
Nearby Dealerships- The only Mazda dealer is 30 minutes from me- and now I need oil changes, it's going to be a drag- my Local Chevy dealer is a mere 8 minutes away.

Anyway, it was a nice ride, and If I had to buy an EV, I would still choose the Bolt, but if I want fun on the road, I want more than acceleration and grip, I want to row that stick through spinning gears, I want to hear that engine to sing to me, and I want to feel like part of the machine rather than be it's operator.

Peace.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sound likes a well thought out decision. I just came back from a 500 mile drive in my Fiat 500 Sport and the car is a blast to drive. I took the twisty backroads of course and I just jammed that baby into corners way faster than the Bolt would go. Some cars are for driving and others are for riding in. Sorry to see you go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The MX-5 is an absolute blast to drive, enjoy. I can't imagine it as my daily driver, though, for the many compromises including those you've stated.

Why not keep the Bolt and pick up a used MX-5? That a perfect garage combo! :p

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Personal opinions are just that and everyone differs to some degree; I respect yours and hope you can respect where I see things differently.

The Seats- while I could get comfortable, they never spoke $43,000 MSRP and the seating position was not suited for my tastes.
The Interior- Not the worst, but compared to pretty much everything else on the road, it felt just ok, again it's $43,000 MSRP
First, agree, the Bolt isn't a $43.000 car. It's hardly a $33,000 car with a $10,000 battery. Early adapters always have to pay more/and/or accept compromises while the mass market catches up.

This car is a great car for what it is, but as a person who loves "drivers" cars, this just didn't talk to me, it was synthetic, lacking a character- a soul, not to say it was bad, it just wasn't special,
I've been a gearhead for more than sixty years, owned most every performance car one can name and my reaction is just the opposite. After a good BEV, comparably priced ICEs just seem crude, thrashy and so last century.
My new car doesn't even have a glove box, and the trunk is sized for a single bowling ball-
Agree, the Miata is a great little toy, but it's not a car most could have as their one-and-only. It would be fun on nice Sunday mornings, as long as that didn't include a Costco run.

I just came back from a 500 mile drive in my Fiat 500 Sport and the car is a blast to drive. I took the twisty backroads of course and I just jammed that baby into corners way faster than the Bolt would go.
Glad you like your Fiat. The only way to settle that would be for a Bolt owner to try to keep up with a Fiat 500 Sport. The only Fiat Sport I ever drove was a nice little subcompact, but certainly not a rocket ship and not generally what I'd call a back road corner carver.

FWIW, I sold my last Porsche because there's very few places left to really let the car do what it can. Even when I went into the wilds of Montana or up in to Canada, a few fast curves and I'd be up the tailpipe of a lumber truck or a motor home. Running fast on the interstate was just too fraught with perils; coming up on a string of cars, the guy who last looked in his left mirror minutes ago would move over into the left lane just as the Porsche was coming up beside him. That's why I no longer ride motorcycles or drive sports cars.

Back to the Miata; it's a genius design because it isn't fast, but one can still have a great time without endangering oneself or others.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I feel your need to mash the clutch pedal, run through the gears and approach redline Blue! I miss that too coming from a sports car background (RX7, TR7,X19, Midget, Miata, Eclipse, Fiero, etc..).

Did you look at the Model 3 Performance? 0-60 in 3.2 sec, almost half off the MX5's 0-60 in 5.7 sec. It literally throws you back in your seat.

Once my kids move out and we have room in the driveway, I hope to get a stick something just to knock around in on summer weekends. Somehow there is something very satisfying in running through the gears and hearing the engine rev, maybe because you're more connected with the car?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I feel your need to mash the clutch pedal, run through the gears and approach redline Blue! I miss that too coming from a sports car background (RX7, TR7,X19, Midget, Miata, Eclipse, Fiero, etc..).

Did you look at the Model 3 Performance? 0-60 in 3.2 sec, almost half off the MX5's 0-60 in 5.7 sec. It literally throws you back in your seat.

Once my kids move out and we have room in the driveway, I hope to get a stick something just to knock around in on summer weekends. Somehow there is something very satisfying in running through the gears and hearing the engine rev, maybe because you're more connected with the car?
Oh yeah, I had a 2006 eclipse GT- quick car, not much else.

Yeah, Tesla's are quick, but that's about all that interests me. 0-60 in 5.7 is plenty quick for the road- the MX-5 is also a momentum car, with that low weight you can toss it in corners with no complaints from the car- actually did a little drift today, surpisingly easy in this car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back to the Miata; it's a genius design because it isn't fast, but one can still have a great time without endangering oneself or others.

jack vines
The ND2 (2019+) are quick, but still not super fast 0-60 in 5.6-5.8 seconds- vs. 8 seconds that they used to be- honestly it's the perfect amount of power, any more, and you run out of legal speed limit too quickly, any slower and it doesn't feel like a true sports car.

What what I paid, I could have bought a C6 Corvette Z06- and had tons of power- but, speed is only part of the equation- Tesla is pushing numbers 0-60 3.5 seconds, 0-60 in 1.9 seconds- it's the kind of thrill that wears off, but it makes big press and pushes sales.

And I know that 43K MSRP is a joke, I bought mine for 30K, but still, there are lots of sub 30K cars that have lovely interiors.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Sounds like you wanted a change. I consider it a step back, but I don't disparage your opinion on the subject.

I'm in a 2018 CX-5 and consider it a fine vehicle, but not superb in any regard. Then again, I don't have a performance version. I average 27 MPG with very conservative driving. Doesn't seem to corner any better than a Prius. It even feels like it has less cargo capacity than the Prius though I haven't directly compared this aspect. Acceleration is molasses, but again I have the standard engine and transmission. Everything else is basic and fine.

I prefer the 2012 Prius plug-in I sold. To me, commuting is a task requiring a cheap, reliable, and reasonably comfortable appliance.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The Fiat is certainly no Porsche and without the turbo no rocket. But that is not the point. It is a light agile car and you can put it anywhere you want on the road. It rolls a little bit more than it should and bounces like crazy but to me that is half the fun. You feel the road and get to react accordingly. Besides, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Former owner of a 2018 Kinetic Blue Bolt LT, Just traded it in a couple weeks ago for a new MX-5 RF GT and sadly there is very little I miss.
Hope you enjoy your new car more.

A couple of points, you repeatedly quote $43,000 MSRP, but just about no one ever pays that so it's a meaningless number to bandy about.

The Passengers- no matter how I drove, everybody felt nauseous due to the way the car accelerates, slows and turns- nobody would ride with me in this car.
That's not been my experience. I queried my spouse who found this claim funny and said “That's you dude, learn how to drive!” A bit harsh perhaps, and maybe it really is a Bolt flaw that some people (e.g., those who see the accelerator pedal as a kind of binary on/off thing) can turn it into a lurch-o-matic.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Enoy your new ride! I love all cars and honestly, I tend to get "bored" with any car after a couple years and get the itch to trade. I guess I went the opposite way. I had nothing but performance cars before the bolt: Challengers, Corvettes, modded Pontiac Solstice, a Mustang, etc. Traded my 2015 Challenger SRT for a Volt in 2017, got bored with that, and got the Bolt in 2019. All but one of my performance cars were sticks and I just got tired of rowing. I don't miss that at all! I decided if I want to pedal to get around, I'll ride my mountain bike. ;) Don't think I can go back to an ICE car now that I've driven the Bolt. ALL of my other cars were faster than the Bolt obviously... but I don't miss the acceleration. To me, the Bolt is as fun to drive as any of them and the lack of switching gears is a plus for me. I think the only ICE car I would take on a trade right now is the C8 Vette. But I'd probably miss the Bolt if I did it. :D

Mike

·
Registered
633 Posts
That’s a huge step backwards but to each their own.
Your loss is someone’s gain.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I get my manual transmission fix on my motorcycle. ONE disadvantage of a manual in a car is it sort of fixes the sitting position, whereas with an auto there's a lot more flexibility to move around because you don't have to reach a clutch pedal or gear lever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a former Mustang/Challenger/Corvette owner about to move into a new Bolt as my first EV. The Bolt will be my everyday car. I'll get another ICE vehicle to play around with on the weekends at some point.

I'm used to hypermiling around in a 3-cylinder 72 horsepower Mitsubishi Mirage. The Bolt will probably feel like a top fuel dragster. :D

1 - 20 of 86 Posts