Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stranded in North Bay Ontario because when I went to get a fast charge tonight, the charger refused to charge the car first out of some safety concern, then stating that my car must be off (it was) and when I tried o remove the charger handle from the Bolt, the car wouldn't release its lock on the handle. :eek:

I spoke to tech support for the charger, MyEvRoute, who tried among other things, charger reboots and even having me kill the power to the charger from the transformer beside it, all to no avail. OnStar wasn't any help at all. The lady there finally said that she'd call roadside assistance and have the car towed to the nearest dealer(!). I explained why that was impossible as politely as I could. Luckily, this has happened just about 300 feet from a Chevy dealer, whom I'm going to visit as soon as they open tomorrow first thing.

Not having the highest expectations for a fast and accurate diagnosis, I thought I'd ask the group...has anyone else had this happen? If so, what was the fix?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
per the manual:

Plug in the DC vehicle plug into the DC charge port on the vehicle. Make sure that the DC vehicle plug is fully connected to the DC charge port. If it is not properly seated then the charge may not occur. Proper
plug connection can be can be checked by information on the DIC.

Follow the steps listed on the charging station to start charging. The Electric Parking Brake will automatically apply once the charge process has been started.

Once charging, the DC vehicle plug will be locked to the DC charge port and cannot be disconnected while charging is active.

Caution: Do not attempt to disconnect the DC vehicle plug while charging is active. This action may damage vehicle or charging station hardware.

Stop Charge Controls on the charging station can be used to stop the charge process at any time. To stop the charge when inside the vehicle, you may use the stop charging button on the Charging screen.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I should consider myself lucky; so far, out of 8 attempts to fast charge (didn't need it, just was testing the tech) none resulted in the plug being stuck. Geez, I was even able to charge on 2 occasion - this is, like, 25% success rate!

4 times - no comms between charger and car
1 time - charger in "la-la-land"
1 time - charger in coma
1 time - success from 1st attempt
1 time - success after call to Customer Services

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the situation is now solved and there was no fault with the Bolt.

I had thought that when fast charging was initiated, the car engaged some sort of locking mechanism to ensure that the charging handle couldn't be removed (risk of arcing, etc.). It turns out that this isn't true. In my case, due to the position of the charger, there was a sideways force being placed on the charger handle (i.e. the cable was pulling the charger handle sideways). I thought that this might have been causing the charge handle to bind, and while I thought that I had been correcting for this when I tried to remove the charger handle, I guess I didn't enough, because the service manager pulled the handle out on his first try (don't ask me how stupid I feel...Doh!).

Lessons learned:
1) The Bolt does NOT itself lock a changing handle in place
2) Some sideways force is enough to really inhibit the removal of the charger

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Even more so than Dimitrij, I consider myself very lucky. Out of 6 DCFC, I have been successful 6/6 times. Two were phone-in starts, two with the motel's RFID card and two with my ChargePoint card. To top off my good fortune, 4 were free charges (two were 1 hr. 15 min. charges, and two were 2 hour charges). The 2 hour charges were on 2 overnight stays (over and back) where I needed every mile I could get to achieve my 200+ mile (over) and 226 mile (back) "EVSEless" trip legs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Better than the early chademos. Those had a trigger grip that if you compressed it prevented it from getting removed! IOW, the opposite of what you would naturally do....if you grabbed the handle, pulled the trigger and pulled the connector....no dice. You had to grab the handle with one hand, extend the trigger with your other hand and then pull. Oy.

Asinine.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Jeez! I guess we have been incredibly lucky. We have used five different DC fast chargers, from Greenlots, EVgo, and ChargePoint...some once, some as many as three times, for a total of ten successful charges. Used two with activation by phone, before we had the proper RFICs, had to restart one because of communication failure, presumable caused by water in torrential rain, cards worked fine.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just spoke to Mike. He's still enroute to Toronto, a day late. Both he and I suspect there was more going on here than a simple mis-alignment. I had a similar problem with a CHAdeMO connector once and I feared I would be stranded in Gorman, California--and that's not a place you want to be stranded. ;)

Mike tried all the standard measures. He even reset the nearby transformer while on the phone to the network's tech support.

My knee-jerk reaction is that overnight either the station or the Bolt sent a signal to release the plug. Could be our imagination. I'll search the boards for a similar problem and report back.

Paul

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
From his description, it was friction locked from the side force. And to his credit, he chose not to force it. A while back, one member shared grabbing the handle with both hands and pulled for all thier worth to get it disengaged. Probably not advisable. We have two extremes that have been shared and thus we all benefit.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I've tried about a dozen different chargers so far on the ChargePoint, EVgo, Flo and Greenlots networks and so far have had zero issues - no waits, no problems with the chargers, and no problems with my RFID cards aside from having to get the EVgo card activated before it would work.

Knock on wood (raps his own head...)!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait....I think that I spoke too soon, and maybe am not an inept fool after all! (info courtesy of Paul Gipe):

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6851

page 26 of manual

"6. Once charging, the DC vehicle plug will be locked to the DC
charge port and cannot be disconnected while charging is
active."

I strongly suspect the station did in fact lock the port, and wouldn't release. I was yanking hard enough on it that I was rocking the car. It must have later reset/released after I went to my motel.

Now, what to do if it ever happens again?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Wait....I think that I spoke too soon, and maybe am not an inept fool after all! (info courtesy of Paul Gipe):

page 26 of manual

active."

I strongly suspect the station did in fact lock the port, and wouldn't release. I was yanking hard enough on it that I was rocking the car. It must have later reset/released after I went to my motel.

Sounds to me like it was locked on. Did you try pushing the red stop button that appears on the center screen when you hook up to a fast charger?

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the record, all the DCFC's I used in 2014-15 (all Chedemo) were super wonky both mechanically and in terms of working as expected....often calls were needed, 5 minutes to get them unplugged etc.

All the newer ones (Chademo and Combo) have been flawless.

I avoid older units at this point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds to me like it was locked on. Did you try pushing the red stop button that appears on the center screen when you hook up to a fast charger?
Not only did I do that, but the network tech support guy had me turn off the transformer feeding the charger so as to totally kill it. That was after he remotely forced a complete charger reboot. Nothing solved the problem.

I can't say I'm a fan of MyEvRoute after 3 issues in 3 days on their units. The authorization on theirs seems very hit or miss too. Even more, their app really sucks. I do have to say that their tech support guy, Vic, was excellent.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

page 26 of manual

active."

Your Bolt can lock the port. Note the shiny metal thing at the top of the J1772 SAE CCS connector in this picture. You'll have to tell your Bolt to stop charging from within the Bolt since it's the one locking the charging port, not the charging station.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts