Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since receiving the battery swap on my 2017 Bolt on 11/4/22, I have noticed a stark decrease in charging speeds at DC fast chargers. This is true regardless of state of charge, battery temperature, outside temperature, or charging station. Prior to the swap, I was regularly seeing speeds of 40-50kw, however now I have not seen above 23kw a single time and usually hover around 18-22kw. I fast charge weekly so I am very familiar with what is usual and the difference before and after the swap is quite noticeable.

I am currently in the waiting room at the dealership and I admittedly do not have a lot of confidence in the tech I spoke with who said “I don’t understand all that stuff, I just fix ‘em.”

Has anyone else experienced this?

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
I have used DCFC nearly 100 times since getting my new battery, and have seen 54-55kW at peak many times. It only happens when outside temps are in the 60-80F range, and at lower SOC (up to ~45-50%).

· Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,627 Posts
We're driving a Chevy Bolt, no such thing as fast charging :p

5 years ago it would have been considered fast, today it is one of the slowest charging ev's on the market.

As long as you dont do many long trips you'll be fine though

· Registered
401 Posts
Since receiving the battery swap on my 2017 Bolt on 11/4/22, I have noticed a stark decrease in charging speeds at DC fast chargers. This is true regardless of state of charge, battery temperature, outside temperature, or charging station. Prior to the swap, I was regularly seeing speeds of 40-50kw, however now I have not seen above 23kw a single time and usually hover around 18-22kw. I fast charge weekly so I am very familiar with what is usual and the difference before and after the swap is quite noticeable.

I am currently in the waiting room at the dealership and I admittedly do not have a lot of confidence in the tech I spoke with who said “I don’t understand all that stuff, I just fix ‘em.”

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes.
When my 2019 Bolt EV had the battery replaced, the was a reduction in charging speed but, I only observed it in colder conditions. The battery was replaced in November and I had few occasions to try DCFC. I observed around 22 kW.
Clearly, the new battery had a different charging profile than the original one. It behaves more like my SO 2020 Bolt EV - which has the latest battery chemistry.

I changed car next June and had almost no occasions to DCFC-charge during the hotter season. Thus, I don't know how much it could draw. My conclusion was that it is more affected by colder battery conditions.

If you observe this in a hotter climate than me, you should indeed be concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts