Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent countless hours reading and watching everything I could about the Bolt before making my 2019 Premier purchase on Sunday. And I’m still looking for anything else I can learn and how to maximize my enjoyment of the Bolt. So on that note, I’m wondering what accessories out there might be worth getting.

A few things on my radar so far...

Trash Can - ordered the “as seen on tv” drive bin trash can (upgrading from the grocery bag I used to hang around the gear shift in my old car).

Floor Mats - leaning towards Maxpider. I can’t find Tuxmats in stock anywhere.

License Plate Frame - still trying to figure out what to get... sports frame, Bolt, something clever, etc.

Tire Inflator? - thinking it might be worth getting one to keep in the hatch since there’s no spare.

Illuminate the Cup Holder - it’s dark this time of year when I leave the house. It would be nice if there was something I could do to find the cup holders more easily when I go to put my coffee cup back down.

Any other ideas? I don’t think illuminating the charge port would matter much to me. I’ll mostly charge from my garage (EVSE install next week).

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the small garbage can posted by another member from Ikea that was about $2 and fits/works perfect.
I have Tuxmats - these are luxurious. The maxspider look nice and if that is all you can find and need something now, go for it.
I have a ProClip which I found through another post on this forum. Very clean/nice phone mount accessory that flies out to the right of the 10.5" screen.
I followed another forum members approach to softening up the glove box and center console plastic tray with some thin foam lining from Michaels - this is nice - will add more to other storage areas of the car as time permits.
Got a set of Cruze Eco wheels for my Michelin XiCE XI3 winter tires from a Junk Yard - drops 8 lbs per wheel & they look great.
Replaced all internal overhead lights with LEDs, also the rear license plate lights.
Made a 12' EVSE extension cable with NEMA 14-50 (neutral removed so it works with 14-30 as well) to enable 240v charging @ 12 Amps with the stock EVSE while on the road.
Changed out the stock bow ties with the OEM black kit. In hindsight, I'd skip this one or have used vinyl or plastidip. I like both and might wish to go back to the gold color at some point.
Added foam to the drivers seat - much better, will follow up with passenger front seat as time permits.

Plan to look into tint next spring & already have a 3M body protection film kit to apply - but might wait until spring...

I really enjoy the car, plan to have it for a long time and have had fun working on all of this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the small garbage can posted by another member from Ikea that was about $2 and fits/works perfect.
I have Tuxmats - these are luxurious. The maxspider look nice and if that is all you can find and need something now, go for it.
I have a ProClip which I found through another post on this forum. Very clean/nice phone mount accessory that flies out to the right of the 10.5" screen.
I followed another forum members approach to softening up the glove box and center console plastic tray with some thin foam lining from Michaels - this is nice - will add more to other storage areas of the car as time permits.
Got a set of Cruze Eco wheels for my Michelin XiCE XI3 winter tires from a Junk Yard - drops 8 lbs per wheel & they look great.
Replaced all internal overhead lights with LEDs, also the rear license plate lights.
Made a 12' EVSE extension cable with NEMA 14-50 (neutral removed so it works with 14-30 as well) to enable 240v charging @ 12 Amps with the stock EVSE while on the road.
Changed out the stock bow ties with the OEM black kit. In hindsight, I'd skip this one or have used vinyl or plastidip. I like both and might wish to go back to the gold color at some point.
Added foam to the drivers seat - much better, will follow up with passenger front seat as time permits.

Plant to look into tint next spring & already have a 3M body protection film kit to apply - but might wait until spring...

I really enjoy the car, plan to have it for a long time and have had fun working on all of this.
Wow. You've done a lot! I wasn't willing to pay the extra for the black bow ties when I bought it, but I started searching other threads since you mentioned it. I might give vinyl a shot since it's pretty cheap and looks relatively easy.

I use Android Auto and my phone fits (snuggly) in the holder beside the USB plug. So I don't see myself needing a mount.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wow. You've done a lot! I wasn't willing to pay the extra for the black bow ties when I bought it, but I started searching other threads since you mentioned it. I might give vinyl a shot since it's pretty cheap and looks relatively easy.

I use Android Auto and my phone fits (snuggly) in the holder beside the USB plug. So I don't see myself needing a mount.
My phone fits there as well but I like the extra screen - with Waze you get turn by turn directions in addition to the full screen map on the 10.5".
I have an iPhone 7 - Waze is SO much better than Apple Maps.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you have passengers that like to read on evening trips, get one of these USB reading lamps. You just stick it in the Bolt's USB port and bend the goose neck as needed. My wife loves it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My phone fits there as well but I like the extra screen - with Waze you get turn by turn directions in addition to the full screen map on the 10.5".
I have an iPhone 7 - Waze is SO much better than Apple Maps.
Interesting. One thing I don't like about Waze on Android Auto is the limited functions and not seeing the list of turns to come. So you're essentially doing a dual view?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have passengers that like to read on evening trips, get one of these USB reading lamps. You just stick it in the Bolt's USB port and bend the goose neck as needed. My wife loves it!

Very cool. My wife can't read in a car, but might consider that for the kids some day.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Interesting. One thing I don't like about Waze on Android Auto is the limited functions and not seeing the list of turns to come. So you're essentially doing a dual view?
Yes, maybe not clearly communicated in the previous post but with Waze and my iPhone 7 sitting in the ProClip mount, I get full screen map on the 10" & turn by turn on the phone screen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, maybe not clearly communicated in the previous post but with Waze and my iPhone 7 sitting in the ProClip mount, I get full screen map on the 10" & turn by turn on the phone screen.
That's what I thought you meant. Just double-checking. I never thought of that. I'm not sure if it's possible on Android or not. I seem to think when I've wanted to see more in the Waze app itself I had to disconnect the USB. I'll take a closer look though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get XINDEL window cleaner. The long handle with sponge on the end allows one to clean the inside of the windshield. I have long arms, but still can’t get a firm enough pressure to clean the smudges.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Get XINDEL window cleaner. The long handle with sponge on the end allows one to clean the inside of the windshield. I have long arms, but still can’t get a firm enough pressure to clean the smudges.
+1 for an interior window cleaner on our big windshields.

I also bought a window squeegee and filled a spray bottle with windshield fluid for the outside - it's hard to keep bugs off when you never stop at a gas station.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My biggest additions so far:

Siemens Level 2 Charger for home
Tesla Gen 2 UMC w/Tesla Tap so I can charge anywhere
A 40' JLONG J1772 extension cord
Compact bicycle pump that can reach 100psi
Plug kit for tires (the stringy tar type)
WetOkole seat covers
Bolt EV cargo mat (would not have purchased but I used my rewards points to get it for free)
Maxpider floor mats
Drawtite hitch from etrailer
Kuat Sherpa 2.0 bike rack

Also, repaired the sway bar links to eliminate the squeak some people are struggling with

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
lol 35 was the number that I thought was odd... To each their own I guess.

The Bolt can seat four adults comfortably, and I would like to be able to hold deep, meaningful conversations with them. >:)

I've never heard of the "half plus seven" formula, but it sounds about right. Avoids the "creepy" factor, perhaps?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts